205) Haibane Renmei

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

205) Haibane Renmei

Postby Andrew » Thu May 05, 2016 10:13 pm

It’s always rewarding to finally take one of those lingering titles off of your pile-of-shame list. In this episode of the Animecast, the hosts dive into one of the deepest and highly regarded anime titles of the last 2 decades. Does it hold up? Does it match the hype? Listen to find out their take on it!

Note: Following the Spoiler-Free Review of Haibane Renmei, we dive into some spoiler discussion about the show. If you have not watched Haibane Renmei, avoid listening beyond the 22:44 mark.

We open this episode with the OP for Haibane Renmei called “Free Bird” by Kou Otani. Closing, we play the ED for Haibane Renmei called “Blue Flow” by Heart of Air. The closing of the spoiler segment is from the soundtrack for Haibane Renmei called “Refrain of Memory.”

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/05/animecas ... ne-renmei/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 205) Haibane Renmei

Postby Neko » Fri May 06, 2016 10:01 am

One of my favorites of the watch-alongs, I think. :)

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 205) Haibane Renmei

Postby Neko » Fri May 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Listening to the podcast got me all verklempt all over again.

And BTW when I talked about the characters 'coming to terms with their deaths' in the watch-along thread I didn't merely mean acceptance of death, rather I mean that the characters had to come to terms with not only how they died, but also coming to be able to forgive others and forgive themselves.

And yes the whole show is shot through with a sweet melancholy. I was thinking today that sweet melanchoily is something that I rarely see in U.S. media. Prey much anyone else on the globe seems to be able to pull it off, but it almost always descends into maudlin crap when Americans try it. (on film, anyway.)