55) Haganai

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

55) Haganai

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

We asked our community and our community responded. Haganai has been one of the most requested shows for us to review and we have finally answered. In this episode of the Animecast, we sit down and give our review of both Haganai and Haganai Next. Our likes and dislikes of this comedic harem.

Special thanks to Jun for allowing her insight on Japan to be featured in our Answers From Jun segment of the show. Also a special thanks to Neko from our community for asking a great question that we answer in this episode!

The intro for this episode the ED for Haganai NEXT called “Be My Friend” by the cast of Haganai. The outro is the ED for Haganai called “My Feelings” by Marina Inoue.

Note: At some point we pointed out the reference of a game Sena played. We accidently called it “Gungale” when it’s actually “GAL*GUN”.. Yeah, too much Sword Art Online recently.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2014/09/animecast-haganai/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 55) Haganai

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 pm

I hope I didn't come across as too negative of the show because (I forgot to mention) while I had misgivings the show did entertain me and looking back I did enjoy the concept of it.

That aside, I wanted to pose a question and forgot to during the podcast. I wanted to know if others felt the same way we did about the "bullying" in the show. Was it as bothersome to others as it was to us?

Thanks again for listening!

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 am

It. She, it. She, it. She, it. Hahah that shis was hilarious:D

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am

MadGunner wrote:It. She, it. She, it. She, it. Hahah that shis was hilarious:D

My attempts to keep the cat in the bag failed miserably.. :P

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 am

Andrew wrote:
MadGunner wrote:It. She, it. She, it. She, it. Hahah that shis was hilarious:D

My attempts to keep the cat in the bag failed miserably.. :P

It sure did! Luckily I don't mind spoilers if they are presented in that kind of hilarity :D I think it's kind of a spoiler to say there is a trap in the first place, so it doesn't really matter in the end ;)

MissMurder1221
Lead Tsundere

Postby MissMurder1221 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm

----------->
named character in FFXIV Sena after Haganai.
also disliked Yozora.
also loved Rika and her Evangelion reference plus all her other things.
also like Kodaka but thinks he needs to just marry Sena already.
Koneko-Chan, at your service! Image
FFXIV Advocate

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 pm

MissMurder1221 wrote:----------->
named character in FFXIV Sena after Haganai.
also disliked Yozora.
also loved Rika and her Evangelion reference plus all her other things.
also like Kodaka but thinks he needs to just marry Sena already.

Hopefully you don't hate me for my mean words to Haganai :P

I really wonder if anyone liked Yozora..

Seriously why wouldn't Kodaka snag up Sena? While I agree with my brother that he had a logical reason for avoiding a decision.. SCHOOL ONLY LASTS SO LONG DUDE! GET WHILE THE GETTINGS HOT! Forget the civility of your stupid club that will lost another couple years and think about the 60+ you'll have with Sena!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the review guys, you liked it better than I thought you would :) And I like Yozora, BTW :D

Here’s my take on the characters, there is no shortage of les than admirable characters in this show:

•Kodaka: A clueless coward, but a good big brother to Kobato (and Maria)

•Yozora: Mean spirited and a bully, but a sad and damaged creature, I can’t help but pull for her. Although she may be the devil…

•Sena: (Apologies in advance to MissMurder) Sena is a spoiled brat rich-kid princess. Smart athletic, and beautiful, and she knows it. Still, she’s naive and easily led, an easy mark for Yozora. Although we find out later in the show that she has a mean streak that runs at least as deep as Yozora’s. Her self-involvement and her casual lack of regard for others make her less than likable.
Spoiler:
In fact when se’s discussing going through with her arranged marriage to Kodaka, she can’t even put the game controller down, or take her eyes off the screen.
Sena could be sweet an generous at times as well. Our three lead characters were not saints, but neither were they monsters.

•Yukimura: A rare not horrible character. An oasis of calm in all the craziness. Maybe a saint.

•Rika: Rika is the only character to really connect to, and communicate with Kodaka, and the only one not clueless about his cluelessness. In fact she’s exasperated with it fairly early on. She’s the truth-teller who forces Kodako’s breakthrough. If this show has a hero it’s her. Yeah she’s a bit of a freak, no big deal.

•Kobato and Maria: Cute and fun.

•Kate: Speaking as someone who went to 12 years of catholic school, WHERE WERE THESE NUNS? Sure we had our share of drinking, burping, farting nuns, but they all looked like Jabba the Hut!

About the outings cut short. This actually really resonated with me. I have a bit of social anxiety, so I’ve had my share of getting pumped up to go to an event, and getting totally shut down by the crowed conditions, wanting to curl up in the fetal position, so Rika’s and Yozora’s reactions seemed very real to me, and gave me a chance to laugh and feel sympathy for them.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Neko wrote:*snip*
•Kodaka: A clueless coward, but a good big brother to Kobato (and Maria)

•Yozora: Mean spirited and a bully, but a sad and damaged creature, I can’t help but pull for her. Although she may be the devil…

•Sena: (Apologies in advance to MissMurder) Sena is a spoiled brat rich-kid princess. Smart athletic, and beautiful, and she knows it. Still, she’s naive and easily led, an easy mark for Yozora. Although we find out later in the show that she has a mean streak that runs at least as deep as Yozora’s. Her self-involvement and her casual lack of regard for others make her less than likable.
Spoiler:
In fact when se’s discussing going through with her arranged marriage to Kodaka, she can’t even put the game controller down, or take her eyes off the screen.
Sena could be sweet an generous at times as well. Our three lead characters were not saints, but neither were they monsters.
*snip*

Loved reading this, thanks Neko! I definitely agree with you a lot (aside from Yozora/Sena opinions). Though I don't recall them really explaining Yozora's attitude, perhaps I missed it.

Spoiler:
I didn't see Sena's blurt at the end to be necessarily disregarding others, more just her usual silly nature of being involved in something and speaking her mind easier than face to face. It's an often trope in romantic comedies that a person is easier to confess their feelings when they are in a comfortable or frantic environment.

I do also agree that Kodaka shined when he was with the little ones. Was about his only good point.

MissMurder1221
Lead Tsundere

Postby MissMurder1221 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 pm

I agree with you Andrew!! Team Sena!!
Koneko-Chan, at your service! Image
FFXIV Advocate