220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5062
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Image
The Spring 2016 Anime Season is finally coming to a conclusion and the Otaku Spirit Animecast hosts are kicking off their reviews of its offerings. To start things off, they tackle some of the more controversial and even more anticipated.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: The Lost Village, Big Order, Kagewani 2, Hundred, Joker Game, Terraformars Revenge, Space Patrol Luluco, and The Asterisk War 2.

The intro music for this episode was the OP for Big Order called "Disorder" by Yousei Teikoku and is available on iTunes. The outro music for this episode was the ED for Space Patrol Luluco called “Pipo Password” by TeddyLoid feat Bonjour Suzuki.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/06/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Logan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 pm

When you were first describing Mayoiga, it sounded like a reality tv show :lol:

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Logan wrote:When you were first describing Mayoiga, it sounded like a reality tv show :lol:

It sounds like "lost"...

Spoiler:
and ended quite the same

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:17 am

The Lost Village must have done something right if it's getting two light novels covering Lion and Kokurun's backstory. I did like it overall and don't really fall into the idea that a show needs to continue a path of awfulness for people to enjoy it after being disappointed in the beginning.

I did like Big Order as well but I do feel like that they were rushing through the show. I may read the manga of it at some point.

I think Joker Game should have been marketed as an anthology instead of a central plot show. It does have a throughline with the D-Agency and Yuuki but an anthology is what I would call the show if I had to describe it to someone.

Andrew, I'm very curious on what spoiler you wanted to see in Terraformers. I think I have an idea on what it is from something you said but I don't want to say if you still care to watch or read more of it. I been up to date on the manga so you won't spoil me.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5062
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 am

Mys145 wrote:The Lost Village must have done something right if it's getting two light novels covering Lion and Kokurun's backstory. I did like it overall and don't really fall into the idea that a show needs to continue a path of awfulness for people to enjoy it after being disappointed in the beginning.

I don't remember if I said this or not on the podcast, but I think it's almost downplaying a writer to assume their work is intended to be "so bad it's good." Sharknado may have its intentions on its sleeve, but I don't think Mari has ever put that out there.

Mys145 wrote:Andrew, I'm very curious on what spoiler you wanted to see in Terraformers. I think I have an idea on what it is from something you said but I don't want to say if you still care to watch or read more of it. I been up to date on the manga so you won't spoil me.

Terraformars MANGA Spoiler from beyond the show!:
Spoiler:
My highlight for Season 1 was Adolf's fight. After the end of that fight, I think I was looking into Eva and Adolf, and ended up seeing an argument for the page about whether or not Eva should be listed as dead. Then I found a few scans where she regenerated from mere nothing (her power if I recall correctly), and not only that, she had Adolf's DNA/powers mixed with her. So the scene I was waiting for was her regeneration and showing up with his power (and jacket from what I remember). Figured it would be an epic scene to see animated.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:10 am

That's the one I was thinking about for Terraformers. It would probably be latter half if there was a Season 3 and was another 13 episode cour.

User avatar
Crash Kamio
Anime Junky
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 am

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am

I can definetly agree with you guys about the lost village, I really did like it until the last episode where I thought it felt a tad rushed and left me a little disappointed. But episodes 1 through 11 I really loved and I liked most of 12. I just feel of it had one more episode it would have been great, tie up the loose ends a bit cleaner. But overall not a bad show, had me hooked at episode 1.

And I agree Chris Luluco is adorable! And that ending song is gorgeous. I need to finish that show at some point I needed to step away from it cause it was a bit much for me. But I always laugh when Luluco transforms. AWAKE! JUSTICE GUN MORPHING! And I'm curious how it'll end. You got me intrigued Andrew!

Great as always, can't wait for the next batch of reviews!

User avatar
almightyhiki
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 am
Location: Somewhere in Brazil

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby almightyhiki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I was entertained by lost village, even when the horizon momentarily faded amid chaos. I think it was a good idea ... for a book, not so much for the TV series with 12 episodes. I'm intrigued to see how the light novel will turn out to be.

Andrew, you were spot on with Joker Game. Couldn’t agree more. I was really intrigued by Yuuki and how far he’s willing to go for the agency.

Just reinforcing my opinion about Space Patrol Luluco: It was a show made for fans of Trigger, Hiroyuki Imaishi, or at least to those who followed all of its titles. Not only has the references but encapsulates the chaotic humor that, to a greater or lesser extent, is present in the studio style, and this one have it at its finnest.
With that said, in my personal opinion, that was a show to celebrate 5 years of existence, specially after the ending. P.A.Works made Kuromukuro, Trigger did Luluco :)
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD


https://myanimelist.net/profile/mighty_hiki

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5062
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:Great as always, can't wait for the next batch of reviews!

Glad you enjoyed! Can't wait to share and hear opinions on what's coming next. Tried to make each week's reviews interesting with the lineup :P

I'm also a bit surprised I did not end up putting a Justice Gun Morphing drop in this episode..
Mys145 wrote:That's the one I was thinking about for Terraformers. It would probably be latter half if there was a Season 3 and was another 13 episode cour.

Spoiler:
Assumed that was the case by the end of the season, just because North was where Adolf and the rest of his team landed/fought right?

almightyhiki wrote:Andrew, you were spot on with Joker Game. Couldn’t agree more. I was really intrigued by Yuuki and how far he’s willing to go for the agency.

Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day :)

Though a part of me does wish the main cast was a bunch of moe girls instead so Chris would have actually liked it.
::mischief::
almightyhiki wrote:Just reinforcing my opinion about Space Patrol Luluco: It was a show made for fans of Trigger, Hiroyuki Imaishi, or at least to those who followed all of its titles. Not only has the references but encapsulates the chaotic humor that, to a greater or lesser extent, is present in the studio style, and this one have it at its finnest.
With that said, in my personal opinion, that was a show to celebrate 5 years of existence, specially after the ending. P.A.Works made Kuromukuro, Trigger did Luluco :)

I guess there's a mixture of those who like them for their chaotic humor (Inferno Cop/Ninja Slayer) and those who like them for their more narrative stuff (Kiznaiver/Little Witch/Kill La Kill/Super Natural Battles). Though there is some bleed over with Kill La Kill, I can't really say they are only known for chaotic humor. But maybe that's just my own echo chamber.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Neko
Jii-San
Posts: 4449
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:38 am
Location: Tejas

Re: 220) Spring 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Neko » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Well, I knew you'd trash Luluco, but "Looked like crap" ?
Your reviewing permit is hereby revoked, sir. ::glasses::

Was Luluco an anoyyingly self referential Circle-Jerk? Yeah, kinda..
Did it look like crap? No, really it didn't. ever. Not for one frame.
Image