230) Summer 2016 Anime Season First Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

230) Summer 2016 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:00 pm

The heat is on as the hosts of the Animecast take on the new Summer 2016 Anime Season. Diving into pretty much every show of the season and giving their opinions on each. What’s the hidden gems? What misses the mark? Listen and find out!

Anime Featured in this Episode: Tales of Zestiria the X, The Morose Mononokean, Orange, Show By Rock Short, Mob Psycho 100, Handa-kun, Sweetness and Lightning, Taboo Tattoo, Cheer Boys, SERVAMP, The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi, NEW GAME, Hybrid X Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia, Scar-red Rider XechS, OZMAFIA, Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls, Regalia The Three Sacred Stars, Planetarian, The Art Club Has A Problem, Battery, Momokuri, Amanchu, Alderamin on the Sky, 91 Days, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Time Travel Girl, Hitori no Shinji The Outcast, First Love Monster, Rewrite, Qualidea Code, Ange Vierge, DAYS, Love Live Sunshine, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, ReLIFE, Food Wars The Second Plate, Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei, and The Heroic Legend of Arslan Dust Storm Dance.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Handa-kun called “The Liberty” by Fo’xTails. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Danganropa 3 called “The Birthday of Absolute Hope” by Megumi Ogata.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/07/animecas ... pressions/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Re: 230) Summer 2016 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby shikakage » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks for the first impressions guys!

Did you ever find out who that other blond guy in the classroom was? :lol:

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

Kartoffelli
I Like Anime

Postby Kartoffelli » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:22 am

Again, great Podcast! I really appreciate the work you are putting into this!

Probably the only show I totally disagree on is Mob Psycho. But that is mostly because for me the comedy was just perfect and I am a huge fan of the art style. I feel like the original style of ONE suits his stories a lot better than the One Punch Man style...

I understand why you guys don't like the Fudanshi show too much (and in general the fujoshi humor), for me this is just perfect. As a (low key) fujoshi, I like how this show addresses how ridiculous fujoshis can get :D

I still feel bad for the Fate/Kaleid names :D

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:54 am

Taboo Tattoo Episode 2

Spoiler:
This is the second podcast that I heard about the confusion about the Void Eater's trigger. It's triggerless. Bluesy told Seigi a lie that the Void Eater's trigger is blood. You miss the line in the following scene where telling the truth isn't already the right thing to do basically saying that they lied to him about the Void Eater having a blood trigger.

So how does Cheer Boys get the criticism about the character introducing compared to Love Live where they had a similar large cast especially that there was no future knowledge of Love Live getting another season?

Regalia is on hiatus until September and even then it's not known when new episodes will air since they are starting back at episode 1.

Grown up boys in First Love Monster are actually 10 not 5 which makes them even worse with the poop jokes.

Futsal is the 5 on 5 version of soccer which is primarily played indoors.

I think after hearing impressions on Days and Food Wars S2, it seems like to me that you guys don't enjoy competitions especially when it's all about it.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 am

About a fourth of the way through the podcast!

A couple comments:

1. The way you say Sorey's name from Tales bugs me haha. You say it like Soreee, when it should be pronounced like Soray :)

2. Sweetness and Lightning
Spoiler:
I'm the kind of weirdo that wants Kotori and Kouhei to end up together! Love wins! :lol:

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Mys145 wrote:So how does Cheer Boys get the criticism about the character introducing compared to Love Live where they had a similar large cast especially that there was no future knowledge of Love Live getting another season?
Both got the same criticism, just Chris decided to give it an explanation with Cheer Boys.

Mys145 wrote:I think after hearing impressions on Days and Food Wars S2, it seems like to me that you guys don't enjoy competitions especially when it's all about it.

Maybe for Chris, but I don't think I ever expressed the dislike for Days because of competition. I expressed that it was lacking in that the first 4 episodes have just been the MC running. Never once have they played in a real competition. And I actually liked the games he actually played.

For Food Wars, I was expressing that it was moving too fast and the character interactions I enjoyed was lost.

So may be a case for Chris, but if you think it's that simple in context, you may not be caring much for everything else we are actually expressing. Or just not wanting to hear it unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but technically Chris and I have loved quite a few competition based shows. Girls Und Panzer and Ippo quickly jump into my mind. Also, we were one of the few that actually enjoyed Aokana and didn't drop it.

Thanks for the heads up about Regalia. Sucks to hear.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

As always another great podcast! I love the long podcasts (they help me through my long work days!), although I imagine they're tough to make between editing and doing the recording.

I certainly agree with you guys about Orange, it's seeming like quite the gem of a show. Not many shows make me tear up but this one manages to, it's just so powerful and knows what buttons to push at the right time, its well paced. And yes to New Game and Sweetness and Lightning as well! I had the same impression of New Game starting it and it's turning out better than I imagined it would, and Sweetness and Lightning is just so cute.

Also I agree with you guys about Rewrite to an extent, now that the awe of a new key show in my line up has died down a bit I do agree they first three episodes were sporadic, I feel the past two episodes (4 & 5) have been pretty good now that I have some idea of what's going on, I'm just hoping it ends in a good fashion even if the ride there is a rough one. But even if it crashes and burns in a big flame of disappointment, that can't be extinguished by the vast amount of tears I'll cry if a key show fails, at least we'll have Planetarian! Which is turning out great.

As always bringers of anime podcast awesomeness great job! :D

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm

shikakage wrote:Thanks for the first impressions guys!

Did you ever find out who that other blond guy in the classroom was? :lol:

Thanks for listening as always!

Hah, I knew who it was but after Chris kept saying I was wrong, I had to open MAL to clear it up. I'd say it was the fault of the images being from the manga, but I don't know where he got that the friend next to him gave him the pill lol

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Kartoffelli wrote:Again, great Podcast! I really appreciate the work you are putting into this!

Probably the only show I totally disagree on is Mob Psycho. But that is mostly because for me the comedy was just perfect and I am a huge fan of the art style. I feel like the original style of ONE suits his stories a lot better than the One Punch Man style...

I understand why you guys don't like the Fudanshi show too much (and in general the fujoshi humor), for me this is just perfect. As a (low key) fujoshi, I like how this show addresses how ridiculous fujoshis can get :D

I still feel bad for the Fate/Kaleid names :D

Thanks so much! And don't worry about the name (think I still said it wrong, it's DOH RI right?). As I said, you were doing it in a helping matter, rather than a judgemental way.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Mob and Fudanshi. Of course comedy is subjective so if it gets you giggling, there's nothing wrong with that. Just as we get giggles from things people think are dumb :)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Logan wrote:About a fourth of the way through the podcast!

A couple comments:

1. The way you say Sorey's name from Tales bugs me haha. You say it like Soreee, when it should be pronounced like Soray :)

I'm aware :p Most don't realize that my mispronounciation of names only bothers them when they listen to the podcast episode the one time, while it forever torments me for having my voice up on the internets for as long as we keep the power on. I realized afterwards that the hitorinoshita actually refers to Baobao as Houhou, so that was probably confusing.

It of course goes back to keeping track of 40 shows with 5-15+ characters in each. Name pronounciation is least of my worries with the story, directing, and contents taking priority lol. I'll get it by the review I'm sure.

Oh and I'm sure I offended every Chinese person in the world with Hitorinoshita and Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Thanks for dealing with me :p