231) Kabukimonogatari

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

231) Kabukimonogatari

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 pm

The life of Araragi takes yet another dynamic twists as his choices and toolset given to him leads to quite a twisted alternate path of time. All to save a life, possibly to sacrifice others. Join the Otaku Spirit Animecast Hosts as they dive into the story of Mayoi Jiangshi, Kabukimonogatari.

Note: Due to being so far into the series, this review will be a full spoiler review of the story and its contents. If you have not watched Kabukimonogatari (Monogatari Second Season Episode 7-10) you should avoid this episode.

We open this episode with the Kabukimonogatari OP called “happy bite” by Emiri Katou. Closing, we play the ED for Kabukimonogatari called “Ai wo utae” by Haruna Luna.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/08/animecas ... onogatari/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 231) Kabukimonogatari

Postby Neko » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm gonna have to find the time to go back to series one and plow through!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Neko wrote:I'm gonna have to find the time to go back to series one and plow through!

While I really don't know if it's your cup of tea, I definitely can't recommend it enough. Would love to hear your perspective on it.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:44 pm

I really liked the most recent installment, but I felt like I wasn't able to read the title cards fast enough.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Neko wrote:I really liked the most recent installment, but I felt like I wasn't able to read the title cards fast enough.

Hah, I gave up on that a long time ago. I catch it like subliminal messages half the time, but I don't think it bears too much weight on the story personally.

First time I watched it though.. I was trying to slow-mo through all of it and that was a bad experience.

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:44 am

I re-watched Kabukimonogatari and it was as much fun as I remembered. It's probably the least consequential arc of the series, but that doesn't take anything away from it imho. There are obviously huge consequences (
Spoiler:
to Neko White and Onimonogatari, mostly because Araragi is off time traveling
), but not as much as other arcs.

Spoiler:
As someone who likes really good time-travel stories, this arc ranks near the top of time-travel stories for me. It is an excellent example of the butterfly effect and I must say that Nisioisin really thought this out well. I think it played really well to me because it was so unexpected. BUT IT WORKED!

I'm also currently listening to the audiobook for Kizumonogatari (2 chapters left, so almost done), so I was able to pick up on some more of the implications and details of some of the conversations between Araragi and Shinobu.

I just want to put in here as well that Vertical and whoever put that audiobook together did and excellent job. I feel like Eric Kimerer does a great job nailing Araragi's tone and inflections throughout and Christina Vee did a similarly great job as Hanekawa and Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade. Keith Silverstein was also excellent as everybody else (
Spoiler:
they probably should have picked someone else for Episode since we saw him in Neko White, but it doesn't really matter
). Kudos to whoever they had directing them. The director must have been pretty familiar with the tone of the whole series because the pacing and voices felt right to me. I highly recommend it! ::peace::
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838