233) Gundam Build Fighters

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

233) Gundam Build Fighters

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Gundam has been around for longer than most have been alive, building a fandom of passion that is rivaled by few. Nothing speaks stronger for this passion than Gundam Build Fighters which takes the world of Gundam models (or Gunpla) and throws it into a fun battler series that is surprisingly entertaining and deep. Join the hosts as they explain what to expect and how it’s worth your time.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Gundam Build Fighters was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf.

The opening for this episode is the OP2 for Gundam Build Fighters called “wimp” by BACK-ON feat. Lil’Fang which can be purchased on iTunes. The closing for this episode is the ED1 for Gundam Build Fighters called “Imagination Reality” by AiRI.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/08/animecas ... -fighters/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 233) Gundam Build Fighters

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Principality of Mecha seal of approval!

I was extremely sceptical towards Gundam Build Fighters before starting the series.I was thinking that wasn't a Gundam series and wrote it off as cheap attempt by Bandai to sell old kits with new coat of paint.But being hopeless completionist I forced myself to start it.
Was I wrong about this show.Everything was just so good.Great characters,good writing,amazing animation and choreography(at some points it was just like animators were showing off),mechanical designs out of this world.From the get go I fell in love,I felt like Sunrise was appreciating the fact that I'm Gundam fan and pepole making it were as passionate about the franchise as I am.
But what probably impressed me the most was cast.It's rere for me to like so many characters.But they were just great,and each one of major characters received enough screen time to make me care what will happen to them.
Spoiler:
My absolute favorite part of the show were 'Meatbuns Chronicles'.Seeing this adorable relationship building up between Reji and Aila never failed to put smile on my face.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Seal Of Approval!

Woot! Another for the trophy case! Glad to hear we were on the same page and not just gushing out of line. (We're not crazy!).

Definitely loved the spoiler you mentioned as well. "They're cold!" Was totally waiting for him!

Just about half way through Try and it definitely has taken a huge shift in a different direction, did you like Try equally? So far the original's characters were much better. But still have plenty of episodes to go.

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:55 pm

This review really makes me wanna watch it :D
I don't usually go out of my way to watch Mecha Anime but this sounds like it would be perfect for me.
Now to add it to my future buy list >:D Its almost time for a holiday sale so maybe then <3

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:00 pm

I also loved Gundam Build Fighters to watch it twice. Complete agreement with Kocurek.

On the other hand, Try had quite a few interesting ideas but I think it was lacking compared to the first season. I'm interested to see the OVA coming out soon.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Andrew wrote:Just about half way through Try and it definitely has taken a huge shift in a different direction, did you like Try equally? So far the original's characters were much better. But still have plenty of episodes to go.

I feel like with Try Sunrise was trying to lunch new sub-series,to make Build Fighters into its own franchise.There is still tons of Gundam references,but not nearly as much as in first season.
I don't like it equally.I still believe it's a good show,but not as good as original.
My biggest problem with Try was 3vs3 dynamic.It means literally 3 times as much charachters.That fact left no time to develop all of them and most of them felt like 'just another team to defeat'.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 am

I haven't watched Gundam Build Fighters but I think you guys should watch Angelic Layer. It's done by CLAMP and has a very similar setup where you make the doll and then fight against other dolls with a device that transmits mental commands to the doll. It's currently streaming on the Anime Network and Sentai has the physical license.

As a quick disclaimer, it's from 2001 so it's full screen and the physical release is DVD.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Mys145 wrote:I haven't watched Gundam Build Fighters but I think you guys should watch Angelic Layer. It's done by CLAMP and has a very similar setup where you make the doll and then fight against other dolls with a device that transmits mental commands to the doll. It's currently streaming on the Anime Network and Sentai has the physical license.

As a quick disclaimer, it's from 2001 so it's full screen and the physical release is DVD.

Man... I want to say I watched that.. though not sure if I watched all of it... It looks soooooo familiar.

Thanks for the suggestion, might pick it up if it hits the next holiday sale.

Kocurek1944 wrote:I feel like with Try Sunrise was trying to lunch new sub-series,to make Build Fighters into its own franchise.There is still tons of Gundam references,but not nearly as much as in first season.
I don't like it equally.I still believe it's a good show,but not as good as original.
My biggest problem with Try was 3vs3 dynamic.It means literally 3 times as much charachters.That fact left no time to develop all of them and most of them felt like 'just another team to defeat'.

That's about the feeling I'm getting of it so far. More so that it feels like it's becoming a full on shounen in respect that most of the fights are ending with "ROAR POWER PUNCH BOOM" rather than strategy, build, or skill.

Still really enjoying it, but we'll get more into that with the review :) Just wanted some confirmation I was feeling.

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I haven't watched Gundam Build Fighters but I think you guys should watch Angelic Layer. It's done by CLAMP and has a very similar setup where you make the doll and then fight against other dolls with a device that transmits mental commands to the doll. It's currently streaming on the Anime Network and Sentai has the physical license.

Man... I want to say I watched that.. though not sure if I watched all of it... It looks soooooo familiar.

Thanks for the suggestion, might pick it up if it hits the next holiday sale.

Just wanted to second this suggestion~ Angelic Layer is quite good. =)