238) The Elitist Devils, an Otaku Spirit Inversion

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

238) The Elitist Devils, an Otaku Spirit Inversion

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:08 pm

In this episode of the Animecast, the hosts try a thought experiment with negative and positive perspectives inverted. Following this process, they dive into many topics that need to be addressed in regards to the critical views surrounding the anime fandom.

Warning: In our second segment, we do a thought experiment on reviewing two shows with full spoilers. If you have not watched Wolf Children or Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA, do not listen from 7:00 until 29:35.

Topics this episode: Hyper-Analysing, Overly Critical, Tolerence, Liking What You Like, Turning Your Brain Off, Hate Watching, Gushing Versus Bashing, and What’s a Critic.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA called “Bull’s Eye” by Nano. The opening for the second segment is called “Suite No. 3, BWV 1068” by David Parry & London Philharmonic Orchestra. Closing the second segment is the OP for Pupa called “pupa” by Ibuki Kido & Erii Yamazaki. The closing for this episode is the OP for Yurikuma Arashi called “I’ve Been Waiting in That Forest” by Bonjour Suzuki, as well as bloopers and a creepy sound clip from Pupa.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/08/animecas ... inversion/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 238) The Elitist Devils, an Otaku Spirit Inversion

Postby Neko » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 pm

I don't know what you crazy kids are up to now, why do I have the funny feeling I'll be taking it personally ::dread::

BWV 058 sounded like a J.S.Bach catalog number, so I googled it.
Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068
Did you play the "air" movement ? Guess I'll find out.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Neko wrote:I don't know what you crazy kids are up to now, why do I have the funny feeling I'll be taking it personally ::dread::

BWV 058 sounded like a J.S.Bach catalog number, so I googled it.
Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068
Did you play the "air" movement ? Guess I'll find out.

I honestly hope the heart of the podcast comes out, And you all enjoy. Let me know what you think.

Hopefully it comes across as a mischievous but good hearted poke and makes a statement. That was my intent.

Star-K
Anime Junky

Postby Star-K » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 am

So I guess Andy and Christopher are your evil clones?
The second section had me laughing for quite a while and it must of been tough to say those things and with a somewhat straight face so I can honestly say good job.
The last part was what caught my attention with the rants getting views, it was something that happen to a youtuber I use to watch, just one day he stopped giving good review and ranted on everything he watch, so I left.
I didn't know how brutal people were on anime until I started digging around online and i can say seeing it was a shock so I'm happy that wasn't my first experience with a forum site.
Overall, I really enjoyed this podcast, this was a real eye opener.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:46 am

I will just say this. I don't think that people should go into something with neither a positive or negative attitude. All criticism is fair. Whether people have something positive to say or negative to say they still have the right to voice their opinion no matter how insignificant it is. People don't have an obligation to highlight something they don't think deserve to be highlighted. People do not have to agree with others positive or negative comments on anything. We are not trying to come to a concensus where we can all agree on something. We all have differing opinions and tastes and that is fine. The problem only arises when you concider your opinion above others and are trying to force others to think the same way as you and won't accept that not everyone thinks the same way.

One thing that you pointed out that I agree with is not letting things go. Like the many people who still to this day make video after video about how SAO is the worst show in ever. At that point it's not even criticism anymore, you are just constantly attacking a show and the people who enjoy it and that's not ok.

Time for my little side tangent here.

What is the purpose of critique? To give people who don't have the time to or don't wish to sit through a bunch of shows that they don't know if they will like or not and help them find the standouts.

So what's a reviewer? A reviewer is someone who critiques something. Most reviewers (and I'm talking real reviewers not some self proclaimed critic) take it upon themselves to try to seperate the really good shows from the common entertainment pieces and highlight those that stand out.

Anyways, good cast guys. These are the kinds of topics that I really enjoy.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am

Great podcast, definetly a subject that needed to be tackled and I'm glad you guys covered it. I've never gotten the reviewers that do months dedicated to watching nothing but shows with elements they despise, and all their reviews are nothing but anger and disorganized thoughts. Why spend time searching for stuff you hate when you could be looking for anime you love? Find the shows that showcase why you this style of entertainment above all others. If you search for stuff you don't like that will turn to hate and that's never good. If you don't like a show that's great just don't be venomous as you guys said. It's reasons like that I love this podcast and the community. it's positive, we agree to disagree and we just come here to love anime. Pretty much I just agree with you guys on this topic, we can all have opinions but be respectful towards them whether you love a show or don't. Just love anime and be respectful!

Those reviews at the beginning were funny! Definetly a good light hearted poke I thought. Was a different podcast then usual but it was fun, gets you thinking.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 am

Put your evil twins back in their box, and don't let them out. ::pff::

About the whole negativity thing. It's a weird time we're living in, when trolls walk amongst us like it's Norway, or something. A bit of snark now and again can be good for the soul, but wallowing in constant negativity is toxic.

One takeaway that Chris said, and I'm trying to employ is not sticking with a show I don't connect with to the point I start resenting it. I'm trying to quietly move on, and if it turns out I'm missing something great, I can revisit it. I do not want to feed burnout.

True enough being articulate does not make someone right (or wrong) but it does make it easier to tell which. ::peace::

Good podcast guys. ::yess::

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:55 am

Neko wrote:It's a weird time we're living in, when trolls walk amongst us like it's Norway, or something.

Hey! Trolls don't walk amont us here, they are just up in the mountains...
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

takuya27
I Like Anime

Postby takuya27 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:28 pm

I Love The Show (Sorry Trademark there i think XD)

Just remember how i give Re:Zero another chance this season after i drop it on the 3rd eps when it's first airing and yes i'm glad that i watched it, and yes all because of this particular podcast :D

Everything you guys point out i could totaly agree on and yes there's some much "virus" goin on these day's which good and bad things at the same time (at least for me personally) that helps me growing much more than i am before.

PS: The Ex things there, it's a good one dude keep it up XD

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Great podcast guys! I loved it.

It's a great discussion and honestly its the reason I decided to join this community. I've tried other anime forums in the past but I never stuck because they never felt particularly welcoming of my rather different taste in anime.

I've long followed many anime reviewers and youtubers, but my list changed a bit over time as I whittled them down to a handful of people who I find fun to watch/listen to.

Keep up the great work, guys!
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838