242) Funimation and Crunchyroll Broke The Internet!

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

242) Funimation and Crunchyroll Broke The Internet!

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:33 am

This Thursday, Crunchyroll and Funimation decided to drop a bomb on the animesphere in the form of a partnership that may change the face of anime consumption in the west for the foreseeable future. Join the hosts of the Animecast as they attempt to make sense of what we know so far!

Topics this episode: Crunchyroll and Funimation partnership, what’s the facts, what it means for other companies, and what it means for anime fans. Also, Mari Okada writes a live action Ankoku Joshi, Sound Euphonium 2 new promo, New A Silent Voice PV and cast, Crunchyroll streaming Magus’s Bride, Spice and Wolf Novel Collector’s Edition stock limits, Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars Producer comments on delay, Hayao Miyazaki speaking on making films again, and more!

Thanks to Star-K and Neko for the questions featured in this episode.

The opening song for this episode is called “Straight Bet” by Myth & Roid from the Styx Helix album for Re:Zero. The outro for this episode is from Anne Happy called “Timothy Rap” by Timothy (Chitose Morinaga).

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/09/animecas ... -internet/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Logan
Super NEET IV

Re: 242) Funimation and Crunchyroll Broke The Internet!

Postby Logan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 am

I think that a lot of people don't realize that ADV owns The Anime Network and has a partnership with Sentai Filmworks, meaning that they have the setup to make their own streaming service as well. The Anime Network has been primarily a VOD service in the past, but because of the relationship of the two, it could easily become the home for Sentai to stream their licensed shows. I'm sure it's been cheaper for them to just license the home video side of things in the past, but perhaps this news will lead them to reevaluating their structure as well.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:46 am

Logan wrote:I think that a lot of people don't realize that ADV owns The Anime Network and has a partnership with Sentai Filmworks, meaning that they have the setup to make their own streaming service as well. The Anime Network has been primarily a VOD service in the past, but because of the relationship of the two, it could easily become the home for Sentai to stream their licensed shows. I'm sure it's been cheaper for them to just license the home video side of things in the past, but perhaps this news will lead them to reevaluating their structure as well.

I was actually surprised Sentai Filmworks gave first minute dibs to Hulu with Chivalry of a Failed Knight. Guess they were trying out that market.

The more and more I think about it, the more I think Funimation will replace Sentai Filmworks as the king in home video release (in regards to sheer volume). Moving to being a primary home video and dubbing branch, while giving up on streaming altogether. So Sentai needs to get themselves ahead of the game asap.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 am

Andrew wrote:I was actually surprised Sentai Filmworks gave first minute dibs to Hulu with Chivalry of a Failed Knight. Guess they were trying out that market.

The more and more I think about it, the more I think Funimation will replace Sentai Filmworks as the king in home video release (in regards to sheer volume). Moving to being a primary home video and dubbing branch, while giving up on streaming altogether. So Sentai needs to get themselves ahead of the game asap.

I think Sentai will always have a place in the home video market, especially since they are held in quite high regard because of their awesome Collectors Editions.

It'll certainly be interesting to see their reaction/counter to this news. It could be a very interesting announcement season coming up.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Really enjoyed this one. You guys answered so many questions I didn't even realize I had about this partnership. Thanks for doing so much research!
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Very informative about the partnership and I definetly came out a little more excited than I was before. I'm happy to hear the funimation catalogue will be on by crunchyroll by the end of 2016. So many shows I've been wanting to watch on there! I'm tempted to get a funimation subscription for the dubs anyway. It's pretty cheap and I enjoy a good dub! I definetly share some concern about sentai though, I've always loved their releases. Even if they lose some steam maybe they'll just tackle more liscense rescues. They're doing a great job of that already. But I'm sure they'll still be around, at least that's my hope. But very informative podcast, thank you for that and the fun discussional afterwards! I had a good laugh at that a silent voice segment that got a bit dark humor going.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:56 pm

I would be one of those people who will get rid of their Funimation subscription by the end of the year since I don't really care for dubs especially they already cancelled their subtitled-only plan.

I recall in Winter that Sentai used Hulu to stream Norn9, Undefeated Bahamut Chronicles, and Girls Beyond the Wasteland but after that season, there wasn't any shows exclusive to Hulu.

As for bad anime to be on repeat, didn't you guys completely give up on First Love Monster recently?

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Really enjoyed this one. You guys answered so many questions I didn't even realize I had about this partnership. Thanks for doing so much research!

Haha, I was afraid we talked a bit too much about it, but glad it was helpful!

Crash Kamio wrote:Very informative about the partnership and I definetly came out a little more excited than I was before. I'm happy to hear the funimation catalogue will be on by crunchyroll by the end of 2016. So many shows I've been wanting to watch on there! I'm tempted to get a funimation subscription for the dubs anyway. It's pretty cheap and I enjoy a good dub! I definetly share some concern about sentai though, I've always loved their releases. Even if they lose some steam maybe they'll just tackle more liscense rescues. They're doing a great job of that already. But I'm sure they'll still be around, at least that's my hope. But very informative podcast, thank you for that and the fun discussional afterwards! I had a good laugh at that a silent voice segment that got a bit dark humor going.

Good point! License rescues would be great, though I'm not sure how profitable it is as very few companies make it their bread and butter like Discotek. Glad to hear your enjoyed the cast!

Mys145 wrote:As for bad anime to be on repeat, didn't you guys completely give up on First Love Monster recently?

Eh, it was dropped more on the fact that we were strapped for time for side projects. Not so much that I was in pain watching it. I'd like to give it another shot if I had time. Though I doubt it'll ever take priority over all the other shows I'd like to return to.

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Postby JaredScott5 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:04 pm

I got excited when y'all mentioned that this partnership could help some shows like re:zero release physically, but then y'all put a damper on my mood by mentioning sometimes the goof up by putting too much on one disc ::shocked::
They don't do collectors editions that often either do they? ::dread::
Oh well. :P

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Awesome job guys! ::peace:: Loved hearing all the info on this partnership in one place. I'd gotten the gist of it previously but I was still confused on a few points which you helped clarify. I'm hoping so bad that they don't screw up the re:zero collector's edition release. : (

And it was fun hearing your answers. XD Renge and Rem must both be protected. <3 -heave sarcasm- thanks for that earworm at the end, I really needed that. =^=Image