250) Summer 2016 Anime Season Review Part 3

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

250) Summer 2016 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 am

Another batch of Summer 2016 Anime Season Reviews are ready to be served to our listeners. A slew of Slice of Life, action, and comedy that all seemed to peak our interest in one way or another. Will they all pan out to be keepers? Listen and find out!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Battery, Qualidea Code, Orange, ReLIFE, The Art Club Has A Problem, Alderamin on the Sky, and Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA Illya 3rei.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Qualidea Code called “Brave Freak Out” by LiSA. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Battery called “If Spring Comes Tomorrow” by anderlust.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/10/animecas ... ew-part-3/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 250) Summer 2016 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Neko » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Battery was my biggest disappointment of the summer season. I thought maybe we were going to see Takume loosen up, and learn to enjoy himself, but no. Was Takumi's noticing the cherry blossom petal supposed to be a major awakening?!?!? ::pff:: Promised much, delivered little.

I didn't have a problem with the end of Alderamin on the Sky. One major arc wrapped up, and another one teased. It's not like they stopped in the middle of everything like (cough) Arslan, or (cough) Re: Zero ::hi::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Neko wrote:I didn't have a problem with the end of Alderamin on the Sky. One major arc wrapped up, and another one teased. It's not like they stopped in the middle of everything like (cough) Arslan, or (cough) Re: Zero ::hi::

Well, they are all equally guilty of it. But it's not entirely a bad thing to note. Alderamin had me craving more. And that's a sign of having something good going for it.

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Postby shikakage » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Yo Guys! Another good show!

I have been eagerly waiting for your review of ReLife! :)

But I just want to say that I have to disagree with what you think about the ending of ReLife. I thought the ending was well done. In my opinion, it was a good way to end the series. :)

Spoiler:
I love the cliff hanger because it tells us that their blossoming love could still happen. In my case, my suspicions were confirmed (since there were hints here and there sprinkled in the series) and in a way there was closure in my part. I just hope that they do a 2nd season.

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:22 pm

shikakage wrote:Yo Guys! Another good show!

I have been eagerly waiting for your review of ReLife! :)

But I just want to say that I have to disagree with what you think about the ending of ReLife. I thought the ending was well done. In my opinion, it was a good way to end the series. :)

Spoiler:
I love the cliff hanger because it tells us that their blossoming love could still happen. In my case, my suspicions were confirmed (since there were hints here and there sprinkled in the series) and in a way there was closure in my part. I just hope that they do a 2nd season.

Thanks shikakage! Glad you enjoyed (despite our half-sick, half-doped selves lol). By the way, it's good to hear from you again. Been some time since you posted!
::hi::

ReLife:
Spoiler:
While An was a surprise ReLife worker, Chizuru came from a mile away. I locked that suspicion into confirmed the moment they got into Ryou's first failed candidate.

My main issue with the cutoff is that I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the mangaka is wrapping it up soon and the content they'll probably have will maybe fill 1-2 episodes. It's not much more to cover, which makes it a prime candidate for my manga seller award. The intent seems pretty clear why they chose not to just finish the story in the show. It feels unfinished to me and we'll never see another season of these characters.

Only hope is for an OVA to finish what they left undone.

Anyhow, like I said, I still think it's an amazing series and highly recommended it. I can draw my own conclusions on it, just don't see why they couldn't knock it out of the park by concluding it. Even if, technically, it would be anime original. But I guess that's the main reason it didn't happen. Giving a conclusion in the show could have killed any desire for the manga.

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Postby shikakage » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:49 am

Andrew wrote:Thanks shikakage! Glad you enjoyed (despite our half-sick, half-doped selves lol). By the way, it's good to hear from you again. Been some time since you posted!
::hi::

I've been a bit busy but I still lurk around the forums. This is still my favorite anime community. :D

Andrew wrote:ReLife:
Spoiler:
While An was a surprise ReLife worker, Chizuru came from a mile away. I locked that suspicion into confirmed the moment they got into Ryou's first failed candidate.

My main issue with the cutoff is that I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the mangaka is wrapping it up soon and the content they'll probably have will maybe fill 1-2 episodes. It's not much more to cover, which makes it a prime candidate for my manga seller award. The intent seems pretty clear why they chose not to just finish the story in the show. It feels unfinished to me and we'll never see another season of these characters.

Spoiler:
Ok. I didn't know that the manga/web comic will be wrapping up soon. Now I get the frustration. :lol:

But actually I have been following the manga (yes, I was baited which proves your theory in manga bait :lol:) and I don't think 1 - 2 OVAs will cut it. Hashiro as a character is still growing and they're dabbling more into the love story aspect of the two.

If the pace of the manga continues and if they continue to explore and if it does end soon, I can see another 13 episodes if they do decide on a season 2.

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Andrew wrote:ReLife:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Man I hope that isn't true, ReLife is easily one of my favorite shows and if there isn't a second season I will be so bummed.

I dropped Battery halfway through because I just didn't care about any of the characters or the drama going on between them, which was quite over the top in my opinion.

It's such a shame how bad the animation in Qualidea Code was because the story as you guys said was really interesting.

I wasn't super high on Orange either. I agree that the romance angle wasn't very believable and maybe should have been left out. I also started to get frustrated with Naho at the end.
Spoiler:
I know she's timid and has trouble putting herself out there, but by the end of the show you would think she'd be more assertive. She's had several months to learn that if she doesn't change these moments something bad will happen but she continues to hesitate. At some point you have to take action but it always seemed like she was totally reliant on the others to give her a push.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Great batch of reviews! I can see where you're coming from with Orange Andrew. there certainly was a lull in the middle but I thought the last few episodes made up for it. I do remember you saying the last few episodes were good though so I know you didn't discredit it. Maybe I'm biased cause Orange hits a chord with me and made it easy for me to get enveloped into it. But no doubt it lagged in the middle, I love the show and can't deny it at all. But hopefully the upcoming movie will make it better for you and not so middle of the road. I heard it's a re cap from a certain characters point of view (not sure if saying who is spoilery) and also a continuation that's original and not from the manga. Hopefully it'll get over here!

The art club has a problem was by far one of the biggest surprises of the season, I started really lukewarm with it but by the end I thought it came into its own and turned into something funny and heart warming. While you guys were talking about it I couldn't help but smile, especially while remembering that pool scene. What a great show with incredibley loveable charecters.

Great job with the reviews as always gentleman, Looking forward to the next batch!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:34 pm

I think Battery would benefit from actually being more like a sports show than being a slice of life with sports in the background. It would help Takumi and Go develop even more if they actually play a season of games instead barely playing at all. Also the anime ending like that was just horrible because there's no point to make the result of an entire buildup of episodes vague. This isn't an anime where you should think about what it was trying to say.

I feel like Andrew didn't like the romance in Orange because it was another childhood friend not getting the main character again while the new person gets the main character. I imagine that Suwa is Naho's childhood friend but I could be wrong.

Arata from Re:Life was at his full-time job for three months not a week. Also he did have part-time jobs which the synopsis did a horrible job of not mentioning. Instead of saying that he didn't have a job for the longest time, it should have said that he has been looking for a proper full time job while doing part time jobs.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:
Spoiler:
Man I hope that isn't true, ReLife is easily one of my favorite shows and if there isn't a second season I will be so bummed.

Well, I'm not the final authority on ReLife, and I both can't confirm his statement nor can it be the final word. So a second season could very well still happen. That all depends on their selling strategy which I hope isn't Blu-rays because those numbers were abysmal. The only hope is that the show sparked enough interest in the physical manga sales.

Crash Kamio wrote:Great batch of reviews! I can see where you're coming from with Orange Andrew. there certainly was a lull in the middle but I thought the last few episodes made up for it. I do remember you saying the last few episodes were good though so I know you didn't discredit it. Maybe I'm biased cause Orange hits a chord with me and made it easy for me to get enveloped into it. But no doubt it lagged in the middle, I love the show and can't deny it at all. But hopefully the upcoming movie will make it better for you and not so middle of the road. I heard it's a re cap from a certain characters point of view (not sure if saying who is spoilery) and also a continuation that's original and not from the manga. Hopefully it'll get over here!

The art club has a problem was by far one of the biggest surprises of the season, I started really lukewarm with it but by the end I thought it came into its own and turned into something funny and heart warming. While you guys were talking about it I couldn't help but smile, especially while remembering that pool scene. What a great show with incredibley loveable charecters.

Great job with the reviews as always gentleman, Looking forward to the next batch!

Thanks CK! Glad you enjoyed the cast.

I was the same for the beginning of Art Club Has A Problem. I loved it for the characters and the animation, but it took a couple of episodes to get the ball really rolling on the heartwarming and comedy balance they grew into.

I struggled with reviewing Orange because I loved a lot of what it did, it just didn't perfect its formula. But I'd still recommend it in the future for sure. I agree, hopefully the movie turns out solid and we get it over here.

Mys145 wrote:I think Battery would benefit from actually being more like a sports show than being a slice of life with sports in the background. It would help Takumi and Go develop even more if they actually play a season of games instead barely playing at all. Also the anime ending like that was just horrible because there's no point to make the result of an entire buildup of episodes vague. This isn't an anime where you should think about what it was trying to say.

I feel like Andrew didn't like the romance in Orange because it was another childhood friend not getting the main character again while the new person gets the main character. I imagine that Suwa is Naho's childhood friend but I could be wrong.

Arata from Re:Life was at his full-time job for three months not a week. Also he did have part-time jobs which the synopsis did a horrible job of not mentioning. Instead of saying that he didn't have a job for the longest time, it should have said that he has been looking for a proper full time job while doing part time jobs.

I agree with you on Battery. I was fine with it being a slice of life with little sports, but obviously they didn't pull that off. I'm with you in thinking that some actual competition could have forged their bond through failures and success through rivalries. But then again, that would hinge on the writer being good with that sort of chemistry. As well as it taking it's uniqueness away. In the end, the writer/writers/director failed at portraying anything with what unique element they had.

As for Orange, no, it had nothing to do with a childhood friend as we had no context for the time Naho spent with Suwa. As I said in my review, the issue was in Kakeru and his chemistry with Naho, which was not very well written for romance. At the same time, I think it had no place in the story they were telling.

Orange:
Spoiler:
Essentially, my biggest issue is that it made it out as if Naho was a sacrifice to keep Kakeru happy. Sure, she could very well have a crush on Kakeru, but without context to her relationship, she just seemed like a tool to keep him alive. But that's just me being overly cynical and dark. People love for different reasons and I'm sure the writer had a reason there. I just personally didn't get it.

As for ReLIFE, my mistake on the time with his full time job. But I did find it funny that he was pegged as a NEET and useless, when in fact he was struggling rather than being lazy.