251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Image
The journey into the universe of Gundam continues as the Animecast dives into the next installment, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. With such an interesting origin, Zeta marks a turning point in the franchise in many ways.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf.

The music used for the opening and ending for this episode of the Otaku Spirit Animecast is from the OP and ED sequences from the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam series.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/10/animecas ... ta-gundam/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:07 am

I can't praise Zeta Gundam highly enough; I'll say it again: for me, it is probably the best Gundam series ever released. For characterization, I felt all of them had at least adequate charaterization, even the most annoying ones (and even then I didn't mind). And the battles were well done, particularly the first operation into the Earth.

Concerning one of your points:
Spoiler:
Scirocco's Newtype abilities do not concern Reccoa, at least IMHO; it was more his charismatic personality and his manipulations of her.


BTW, too bad the original OPs and EDs couldn't be put for the US release of Zeta Gundam. I put it up earlier, but still I love this OP so much.

phpBB [video]


On the other hand, get prepared to be disappointed with the first episodes of ZZ Gundam.
Image

User avatar
Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:13 pm

This was definitely my favorite series out of MSG, Zeta, and ZZ. Maybe I'm in the minority but Kamille in my opinion is loads better than Amuro. But that could just be because in comparison to Katz Kamille is the most reasonable guy you'll meet. God I hate Katz. The Zeta Gundam is also one of my favorite gundams, I love how mean looking the head is, and how it transforms into a plane instead of having a core fighter like the RX-78 from MSG or several other gundams from later series'.

Just wait until you guys have watched ZZ, Haman gets even better. But as DestroyerGX said be prepared to be disappointed by the first episodes of ZZ. It gets way better after Moon Moon though.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I understand Katz, even though he ends up pretty bad off. After all, he had an abnormal childhood, being an orphan and being in the middle of MSG. Looking up to Amuro as the ideal, and encountering the real world, compromise and all, especially with

Spoiler:
Sarah's betrayal and manipulation of him, and finally the AEUG's teaming up with Haman,


that drove him into ultimately down the wrong road!
Image

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:07 am

Before I start.During IBO 1st season discussion I've said:"This series can be a good gateway to world of gundam,so maybe this introduction will trigger Chris and in few months he will watch Zeta or CCA.".Well,Chris watched Zeta and will probably watch CCA.Looks like I was right. xD

"Principality of Mecha Seal of Approval"
(I need to make some JPEG for that)

Zeta Gundam,for me personally,is a difficult show.It was first anime I watched with English subtitles around 3 years ago when my English was even more crap,so I feel like I missed alot of context and little innuendos and honestly I wasn't enjoying it as much as original show.But when I watched "A New Translation"(it changed some things but narrative core is still the same)compilation I caught myself thinking:man this is some good story.So when my UK Blu-Ray copies arrive I plan to re-watch entirety of Zeta to re-evaluate my opinion on that show.

And for some trivia!Why two opening songs:"Zeta-Toki wo Koete" and "Hoshizora no Believe"(both are great songs,give them a listen)are not present in US and UK releases of Zeta Gundam?
Because their music was written by American pop artist Neil Sedaka and when Bandai Entertainment came to release Zeta in the west royalties for the them were too expensive and decision was to replace them with songs from OST.

P.S.
Spoiler:
I would ask Andrew if Four was happy in the end,but I think it's too cruel.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Mys145 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Kocurek, I would be surprised that you would be able to watch A New Translation now since it has both old and new footage mixed in throughout the whole thing.

There needs to be some Sign of Zeta in this thread.

phpBB [video]


Also you guys mention every other girl in the series including the worst one, Fa but never mention the best one even once which was Emma. Shame.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:22 am

Mys145 wrote:Kocurek, I would be surprised that you would be able to watch A New Translation now since it has both old and new footage mixed in throughout the whole thing.

That point was my biggest criticism towards this compilation.
I love old hand drown animation,and Zeta Gundam is an example of show that even 30 years after its premiere still looks impressive.I honestly believe that with transition to digital animation anime lost something.
And reanimated,digital,footage looks amazing,really high quality animation.
No matter how good looking,20 years old(movies were released in 2005 and 2006)animation will stick out like a sore thumb compared to modern footage.It's not a matter of quality,but technology.All of that creates wierd experience during watching.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Sorry it took so long to get around to replying. Been a bit crazy lately.

DestroyerGX wrote:I can't praise Zeta Gundam highly enough; I'll say it again: for me, it is probably the best Gundam series ever released. For characterization, I felt all of them had at least adequate charaterization, even the most annoying ones (and even then I didn't mind). And the battles were well done, particularly the first operation into the Earth.

Concerning one of your points:
Spoiler:
Scirocco's Newtype abilities do not concern Reccoa, at least IMHO; it was more his charismatic personality and his manipulations of her.


BTW, too bad the original OPs and EDs couldn't be put for the US release of Zeta Gundam. I put it up earlier, but still I love this OP so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSycojV_L1A

On the other hand, get prepared to be disappointed with the first episodes of ZZ Gundam.

I'm still hung up on Iron-Blooded being my favorite, but Zeta is right at its tail. Especially during my geekout session during the reintroduction of the Neo Zeon.

Zeta Gundam Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Anyone curious as to why I was geeking out for that: Seeing Audrey sitting as a child on the throne after watching Gundam Unicorn was a trip. Yeah.. once again.. my watching out of order was probably not the best lol... But as I said on the podcast, seeing the lineages they were setting into play is really what is fascinating about Gundam. Just a HUGE span of time.

In regards to Reccoa: I was figuring that as well, however it didn't really spell it out entirely (Unless it's better explained in the New Translation version). The thing that pushed me towards the element of Newtype manipulation was when she gassed the colony. She knew it was wrong, and did it anyhow because she feared displeasing him. I just don't get how a human being can do something like that without being mentally devoted to the reason behind the act of slaughter (she said she didn't agree with it) or being mentally controlled.


Haha, I'm going to guarantee to everyone at this point that Chris will love the first episodes of Gundam ZZ. He has a habit of loving things people hate, and so he's going in with a preconceived notion of loving it. I'm personally going to go in with an open mind, so we'll see. Maybe we'll divide the review for it into two different shows lol..

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:This was definitely my favorite series out of MSG, Zeta, and ZZ. Maybe I'm in the minority but Kamille in my opinion is loads better than Amuro. But that could just be because in comparison to Katz Kamille is the most reasonable guy you'll meet. God I hate Katz. The Zeta Gundam is also one of my favorite gundams, I love how mean looking the head is, and how it transforms into a plane instead of having a core fighter like the RX-78 from MSG or several other gundams from later series'.

Just wait until you guys have watched ZZ, Haman gets even better. But as DestroyerGX said be prepared to be disappointed by the first episodes of ZZ. It gets way better after Moon Moon though.

Haha, another Katz hater, we're on the same page then. It's hard to measure these two series because I felt the character writing was far more in depth in Zeta compared to the original.

Oh my gosh.. I was so happy the Docking thing was not a part of Zeta haha... Zeta Gundam was indeed awesome.

You got me even more excited for ZZ if Haman is a part of it! I remember somewhere in a wiki saying that it just goes right into the battle with Neo Zeon. So.. hype!

DestroyerGX wrote:I understand Katz, even though he ends up pretty bad off. After all, he had an abnormal childhood, being an orphan and being in the middle of MSG. Looking up to Amuro as the ideal, and encountering the real world, compromise and all, especially with

Spoiler:
Sarah's betrayal and manipulation of him, and finally the AEUG's teaming up with Haman,


that drove him into ultimately down the wrong road!

Very true. However, it's just one of those things where a loud crying bratty kid who was raised wrong is still a loud crying kid. You just choose not to call him bratty because it's unfortunate haha...

Zeta Gundam Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Awwww.. poor Sarah.. she was cute, I liked her. Even though I didn't trust her one bit from the beginning lol... I think the part with AEUG teaming up with Haman was annoying more so in the fact that the boy should have been immediately jailed. WHY CAN ANYONE AND EVERYONE JUST JUMP IN A GUNDAM AND FIRE IT UP?! They need to put protocols in these hangars. Seriously..


Kocurek1944 wrote:Before I start.During IBO 1st season discussion I've said:"This series can be a good gateway to world of gundam,so maybe this introduction will trigger Chris and in few months he will watch Zeta or CCA.".Well,Chris watched Zeta and will probably watch CCA.Looks like I was right. xD

"Principality of Mecha Seal of Approval"
(I need to make some JPEG for that)

Haha, as much as he seems to be enjoying the series, I don't think he would have given it a shot if it weren't for the fact that we were commissioned to review them. Not that he detested the idea, just more that it didn't seem to be on his "I need to watch" list. But I'm glad it turned this way. We'll get around to CCA soon enough!

Thanks for the seal! We'll have to get a JPG for sure. Before we run out of Gundams (hah, that possible?)

Kocurek1944 wrote:Zeta Gundam,for me personally,is a difficult show.It was first anime I watched with English subtitles around 3 years ago when my English was even more crap,so I feel like I missed alot of context and little innuendos and honestly I wasn't enjoying it as much as original show.But when I watched "A New Translation"(it changed some things but narrative core is still the same)compilation I caught myself thinking:man this is some good story.So when my UK Blu-Ray copies arrive I plan to re-watch entirety of Zeta to re-evaluate my opinion on that show.

Ouch, by the way that paragraph started I thought we were going to be on opposite sides of the fence for this one! Glad it turned around for you. I touched the dub for a few second but didn't last long into it hah.

Kocurek1944 wrote:P.S.
Spoiler:
I would ask Andrew if Four was happy in the end,but I think it's too cruel.

Zeta Gundam Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Beach side resort in a safe protected colony is where she should be! Away from crazy scientists and angsty pilots! Four deserves it all.

I need to hunt down the Madhouse figure of her.


Mys145 wrote:Also you guys mention every other girl in the series including the worst one, Fa but never mention the best one even once which was Emma. Shame.

Zeta Gundam Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Don't remind me! Emma is a soft spot for me...

And why, in the end, I hated Reccoa lol....

Jokes aside, I was sad how little time Emma got to shine. She just ran through her story of leaving the Titans and never touched her again.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am

Andrew wrote:Thanks for the seal! We'll have to get a JPG for sure. Before we run out of Gundams (hah, that possible?)

Principality of Mecha proudly presents "Seal of Approval" Mark I.
Image
As this was my first time with image modification software(I used PhotoFiltre Studio X)since middle school so all criticism and feedback is welcomed.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 251) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:14 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:Principality of Mecha proudly presents "Seal of Approval" Mark I.
http://i.imgur.com/dRwi427.jpg
As this was my first time with image modification software(I used PhotoFiltre Studio X)since middle school so all criticism and feedback is welcomed.

Nice! I approve! ::thumb::
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694