260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Image
Jumping right back into the ruins left behind in Zeta Gundam’s conclusion, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ continues with the recovering fleet and their new possible soldiers. While a heatedly debated series, the hosts dive in and examine what makes it better or worst than the previous installments.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf.

The opening for this episode is the OP2 for Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ called “Silent Voice” by Jun Hiroe. The closing for this episode is the OP1 for Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ called “Anime Ja Nai” by Masato Arai.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/11/animecas ... gundam-zz/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:11 pm

I didn't mind the comedy, but nonetheless it's very jarring. I don't expect comedy to mix with war well, and it really doesn't. The first half of the series had very incompetent enemies, and I must admit I laughed, but no plot advancement. Couldn't take many of the enemies seriously until the second half, especially Mashymyre

Spoiler:
his constant thinking of Haman was too stupid
. And I died also when I saw

Spoiler:
the Zeta Zaku


The Double Zeta Gundam is too OP!!

About Fa, I don't think she was ever a competent pilot like Emma, although she did help a bit in Zeta Gundam!
Image

User avatar
Ledah013
I Like Anime
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Ledah013 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Very good points were said in the podcast, it is also refreshing to hear opinions from someone outside the mecha otaku fandom. Poor ZZ is always the unpopular series thanks to that comedy act at the beginning.

If you want to be considered a Gundam Fan, or mecha fan in general you must be able to tell the difference between: RMS-106 Hi-Zack, MS-06F Zaku II and a MS-14A Gelgoog.
::mischief:: ::mischief::

And if anyone is interested in mecha anime, i recommend visiting http://www.mahq.net/

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2442
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Chris » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 am

Well I'm 2 out of three. Guessing hi-jack is coming soon.

Learned about nugundam today. Pretty epic gundam truth be told still not as epic as x though.
Image

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Chris wrote:Well I'm 2 out of three. Guessing hi-jack is coming soon.

Learned about nugundam today. Pretty epic gundam truth be told still not as epic as x though.

Hi-Zack is Zaku looking a grunt mobile suit operated by Titans task force and EFSF in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

Reviewing ZZ on Animecast?We all know this is not an anime and we should take it seriously!
Image
ZZ is a great show...after episode 18.For me this comedy of initial episodes was barely sufferable,which is a shame because rest of the show is really good.
And on the topic of Purus,I actually liked them,especially certain 12th Puru.

Ending to this podcast was fantastic.Great little easter egg.

User avatar
Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 pm

My biggest problem with ZZ-aside from the comedy at the start which is not to my taste- is how they treat Yazan. What they did to Fa was also bad but in Zeta Yazan was one of the most dangerous enemies Kamille and Co. faced and in ZZ he's less threatening than a Scooby Doo villain. Why even keep him alive if that's how you treat his character? I also didn't like the main cast but I don't care for much of the casts in MSG or Zeta either so maybe I just hate Gundam heroes. The strength of this show is definitely in its antagonists. Glemy was probably the character I liked the most in this show, I mean all he really wanted was to turn
Spoiler:
Leina
into a pop star. What's so bad about that? Puru bothered me to a degree but I could handle her for the most part. I agree Beecha and Mondo can just jump out an airlock, they suck.

And this is a minor thing but I don't like the ZZ Gundam's beam sabers. The handles are WAY too big.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 am

DestroyerGX wrote:I didn't mind the comedy, but nonetheless it's very jarring. I don't expect comedy to mix with war well, and it really doesn't. The first half of the series had very incompetent enemies, and I must admit I laughed, but no plot advancement. Couldn't take many of the enemies seriously until the second half, especially Mashymyre

Spoiler:
his constant thinking of Haman was too stupid
. And I died also when I saw

Spoiler:
the Zeta Zaku


The Double Zeta Gundam is too OP!!

About Fa, I don't think she was ever a competent pilot like Emma, although she did help a bit in Zeta Gundam!


Zaku
Spoiler:
Haha! The Zaku headed Zeta was gold. I don't know why I got a really long and loud laugh out of that.


Fa:
Spoiler:
Fa was no ace pilot by any stretch. The point is more that she wasn't a useless bucket either. With, like you said, enemies at the beginning being laughable, she shouldn't be getting knocked out and falling over every two seconds. Especially since she's been on the battlefield many times and is a NT.

But hey, I'm just glad we finally have one Gundam MC girlfriend that is actually alive and happy.
Ledah013 wrote:Very good points were said in the podcast, it is also refreshing to hear opinions from someone outside the mecha otaku fandom. Poor ZZ is always the unpopular series thanks to that comedy act at the beginning.

If you want to be considered a Gundam Fan, or mecha fan in general you must be able to tell the difference between: RMS-106 Hi-Zack, MS-06F Zaku II and a MS-14A Gelgoog.

Glad you got something out of the cast! Char's Counter will be rolling out this week, barring any unforeseen issues.

Can definitely tell they are different, but for me to call them out by name from glance, probably never. I'll have to throw together some flashcards!

Kocurek1944 wrote:Reviewing ZZ on Animecast?We all know this is not an anime and we should take it seriously!
Seal!
ZZ is a great show...after episode 18.For me this comedy of initial episodes was barely sufferable,which is a shame because rest of the show is really good.
And on the topic of Purus,I actually liked them,especially certain 12th Puru.

Ending to this podcast was fantastic.Great little easter egg.

Well, initially we were dead set on not reviewing it. Especially after Episode 1 was ADAMANT about it not being anime. However, after Evangelion style meeting room debate for several hours, we went forward with it. We just knew people would hold our reviewing Thunderbolt Fantasy against us. The cards were stacked against us.

Thanks for the seal, despite it not being anime! Also, thanks for answering my curiosity on Puru.

Spoiler:
Chris was covering his ears and folding into a ball, ignoring me when I was saying Puru died in the end. I was insistent that she wasn't even present at the end segment when Judau left. However this ended up leading to a REALLY hilarious conversation as it seemed like everyone in that upper area of the port (where we seen Sayla and Leina) looked like past dead characters. Chara, Four, and someone else I forget.

By the way, Elle was really dang cute in that final scene.


UC 0096 spoiler:
Spoiler:
Someone had thrown a hint at me which lead me to putting pieces together that I never knew. That Marida Cruz was another Puru cloan. Which makes me love Marida all over again (best girl hands down). Is she the 12th or are you talking someone else? Can just say no if you're avoiding spoilers for my sake :)
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:My biggest problem with ZZ-aside from the comedy at the start which is not to my taste- is how they treat Yazan. What they did to Fa was also bad but in Zeta Yazan was one of the most dangerous enemies Kamille and Co. faced and in ZZ he's less threatening than a Scooby Doo villain. Why even keep him alive if that's how you treat his character? I also didn't like the main cast but I don't care for much of the casts in MSG or Zeta either so maybe I just hate Gundam heroes. The strength of this show is definitely in its antagonists. Glemy was probably the character I liked the most in this show, I mean all he really wanted was to turn
Spoiler:
Leina
into a pop star. What's so bad about that? Puru bothered me to a degree but I could handle her for the most part. I agree Beecha and Mondo can just jump out an airlock, they suck.

And this is a minor thing but I don't like the ZZ Gundam's beam sabers. The handles are WAY too big.

So true!! Forget if I mentioned Yazan or not, but that dude would NOT die. They only reason I was "okay" with him being weaker, was that he was given crap for equipment. They basically handicapped him. But I do agree that he was a feared pilot turned into a silly routine.

Spoiler:
I did get a kick out of Glemy making Leina into a prim and proper girl. Especially when she constantly stuck her tongue out at him behind his back. Leina had it made being under his care!


Agreed about the beam sabers. They shocked the crap out of me when I realized they weren't back cannons. lol
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 am

Andrew wrote:
Spoiler:
Is she the 12th or are you talking someone else? Can just say no if you're avoiding spoilers for my sake :)

Spoiler:
Yes,she is 12th clone of Puru


Andrew wrote:Agreed about the beam sabers. They shocked the crap out of me when I realized they weren't back cannons. lol

Those beam saber handles do double as beam cannons while connected to the backpack.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 260) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:01 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:Those beam saber handles do double as beam cannons while connected to the backpack.

Sick, must have missed that. Granted I've seen them project the laser into a stomach before (versus thrusting like a sword). If that's the case, it makes a lot more sense.

Kocurek1944 wrote:
Spoiler:
Yes,she is 12th clone of Puru

UC 0096
Spoiler:
That more than anything has made me want to watch 0096 over again. That and the fact that I didn't know the Sleeves were remnants of Glemy's supporters. Though I may do the OVA this time.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694