271) Fall 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

271) Fall 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:42 am

The Fall 2016 Anime Season is at its conclusion, and it’s time to dish out the final verdicts for the series that aired. Join the hosts of the Animecast as they dive into 8 titles and give their take on what panned out!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Bubuki Buranki 2, Show By Rock!! 2, Bloodivores, Izetta The Last Witch, Magical Girl Raising Project, Yuri On Ice, Anime De Training Xx, and Kaiju Girls.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Yuri on Ice called “History Maker” by Dean Fujioka which can be found on iTunes. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Magical Girl Raising Project called “DREAMCATCHER” by nano which can be found on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy! We hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/12/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Re: 271) Fall 2016 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:33 pm

I agree that I think the over hype for Yuri on Ice definitely tempered my enjoyment of the show. JJ is the best and I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian.

I liked Magical Girl Raising Project quite a bit despite that one character, even though they were death flagging everyone I still got invested with the characters to a degree.

My problem with Izetta's ending basically boils down to
Spoiler:
every piece of info in episode 12 was leading to both Izetta and Sophie were going to die and then they just turn around and say "Oh, actually Izetta survived because reasons but we're not going to explain ourselves". If they had thrown anything in to explain that I could have just said good enough and ignored it but they didn't so I'm left somewhat dissatisfied.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Great podcast guys ^^

In terms of Show By Rock!! 2 I really enjoyed it, probably just as much as the first season. I can see how it might be slightly less enjoyable if the new characters don't grab you, because of the larger cast they weren't able to spend nearly as much time with individual characters. ::peace::

With Izetta I have to disagree somewhat strongly with what you said. I do think people may be being slightly overly critical of the show overall, all said and done it was a decent action show with a somewhat unique premise and nice animation. But the ending was a huge issue and I just can't agree that people's hate is simply coming from the type of ending it is.

Spoiler:
As Whiskey pointed out above, there was little to no explanation about how Izetta survived. My issue wasn't with the fact that it was a lighter ending then it could have been if they killed Izetta. My problem was that they clearly said earlier that the crystal would drain Izetta's life force and that she would die if she overused it. And yet they show that she survived for THREE YEARS afterwards. I might even be able to accept her living if they implied she died shortly after because her life span was shortened. That wasn't the implication though. It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and then were like..."oops, well we can still make this a good ending by putting a miracle at the end, its what everyone's hoping for so it's not like we need an explanation." This writer has pulled similar stunts with other works like Gulity Crown and Gundam Seed. I feel like he has a really good idea but just can't quite follow it up so the show goes down hill after the first like three episodes and the plot holes just build up. ::alone2::

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Yuri on ice got me like
Spoiler:

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Ayuu wrote:Great podcast guys ^^

Spoiler:
It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and then were like..."oops, well we can still make this a good ending by putting a miracle at the end, its what everyone's hoping for so it's not like we need an explanation." This writer has pulled similar stunts with other works like Gulity Crown and Gundam Seed. I feel like he has a really good idea but just can't quite follow it up so the show goes down hill after the first like three episodes and the plot holes just build up. ::alone2::

Spoiler:
Man, this makes so much sense now that I know he wrote Gundam Seed.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:25 pm

fullmetal_snorlax wrote:Yuri on ice got me like
Spoiler:

I feel you. I liked it for the competition aspect of the show, but the more and more that they focused on the relationships, the less and less interested I became.

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:56 am

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:
Ayuu wrote:Great podcast guys ^^

Spoiler:
It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and then were like..."oops, well we can still make this a good ending by putting a miracle at the end, its what everyone's hoping for so it's not like we need an explanation." This writer has pulled similar stunts with other works like Gulity Crown and Gundam Seed. I feel like he has a really good idea but just can't quite follow it up so the show goes down hill after the first like three episodes and the plot holes just build up. ::alone2::

Spoiler:
Man, this makes so much sense now that I know he wrote Gundam Seed.

Spoiler:
right!? XD yeah after realizing he wrote guilty crown which was quite the hot mess, I went to look at the other stuff he'd been involved in and Gundam Seed popped up...I was like "ahhh okay, I really should have expected this ::dread:: "

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am

Awesome cast as always! Hope you guys had a good holiday. I thought I was alone on liking the Izetta ending. I really loved Izetta and it actually became my favorite of the season. I do know what you guys mean about how there was a fair amount of fluff in the show, I thought that time was well used in the fact it got used attached to Izetta and Fine. They really made them bond during that time however at the cost of some plot, even though we had sprinkles of it thrown in every episode. That's my complaint about it, it was both good and bad how they used their time. It was great for charecters not too great for plot, even though all said and done it did a great job at wrapping it up, I was terrified they'd botch it and happy with how they concluded it. Random side note I'm curious how funimation did with dubbing it. Hopefully they did it justice.

I totally agree with Chris we need more seasons of Magical Girl Raising Project, they did a good job setting up, showing the world and how brutal it is but I know we've talked on a couple occasions saying there's potential for it to be more than what it was. Overall it did great I thought and I'm happy you guys enjoyed it overall despite your issues with it. Definetly a unique take on the dark magical girl genre and it had its own flavor. A lot of cool powers, charecters with a wide range of personalities.To get this world expanded on would be great, the amount of potential here is incredible. Yeah we have the light novels coming over which will be great and I'm sure expand on what we saw and go beyond that but seeing it animated would be fantastic.

Can't wait for the next batch of reviews! I was wondering how many parts you guys would have. Cool to know we have three more coming, had no idea you guys picked up a lot more shows. Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:45 am

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:My problem with Izetta's ending basically boils down to
Spoiler:
every piece of info in episode 12 was leading to both Izetta and Sophie were going to die and then they just turn around and say "Oh, actually Izetta survived because reasons but we're not going to explain ourselves". If they had thrown anything in to explain that I could have just said good enough and ignored it but they didn't so I'm left somewhat dissatisfied.

Izetta The Last Witch Ending Spoilers:
Spoiler:
I can definitely see your issue with that.

However I seen the ending quite a bit different. If you wanted my assumptions on the story of the ending, she technically did receive major blowback from what she did. She's wheelchair bound and if their theories on her lifespan being reduced are true, she's technically on her last limbs. The feeling I got from the final scene was that she's got very little time left. So in the end, you get your death, we just don't sit around and wait for it. It was really a "we enjoy our little time we have left" scene.

Ayuu wrote:With Izetta I have to disagree somewhat strongly with what you said. I do think people may be being slightly overly critical of the show overall, all said and done it was a decent action show with a somewhat unique premise and nice animation. But the ending was a huge issue and I just can't agree that people's hate is simply coming from the type of ending it is.

Spoiler:
As Whiskey pointed out above, there was little to no explanation about how Izetta survived. My issue wasn't with the fact that it was a lighter ending then it could have been if they killed Izetta. My problem was that they clearly said earlier that the crystal would drain Izetta's life force and that she would die if she overused it. And yet they show that she survived for THREE YEARS afterwards. I might even be able to accept her living if they implied she died shortly after because her life span was shortened. That wasn't the implication though. It felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and then were like..."oops, well we can still make this a good ending by putting a miracle at the end, its what everyone's hoping for so it's not like we need an explanation." This writer has pulled similar stunts with other works like Gulity Crown and Gundam Seed. I feel like he has a really good idea but just can't quite follow it up so the show goes down hill after the first like three episodes and the plot holes just build up. ::alone2::

I'm not sure if we claimed it was hatred simply for the ending. I think I brought up people were down on it from Episode 4. TBH, I didn't know the ending was so controversial until I read these comments (haha). But love hearing all your feedback anyhow.

Izetta The Last Witch Ending Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I covered most of this in my reply to Whiskeyjack, but I guess I can expand. Wether it's 3 years or 2 days, she's still dying, and won't last much longer.

I liken it to a scenario: A powerplant faces a meltdown. The husband knows what will happen if it blows up, so he basically says his dying goodbyes to his wife before rushing into what he thinks is death. However, he manages to get out of there, but the radiation destroys his body and doctors say he's a deadman in months tops. But the man survives for 3 long years. He was a deadman, but still his body chugged on, even if it was imminent.

Crash Kamio wrote:poi

Thanks CK! Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that found Izetta's ending to be fine haha. Was beginning to think I was the outlier here. I do agree that those fluff episodes have purpose. I was just coming off enjoying the frontline stuff that I didn't want it to pull away from there.

I am also awaiting more MGRP, especially since I've been hearing positive things about how it ramps up after what was adapted.

Crash Kamio wrote:Can't wait for the next batch of reviews! I was wondering how many parts you guys would have. Cool to know we have three more coming, had no idea you guys picked up a lot more shows. Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Funny story. Our purpose for pulling back on shows was to get caught up on review petitions. Well, we cut the shows and Chris decided to use that extra time to do other things, so I just decided to continue on watching everything that was cut :P

I feel like a slave driver sometimes pushing him to watch things, so often I give up and just do my own thing. Which is why I went ahead and solo'ed Big Windup and Super Gals. If anyone wants to make him feel bad, just mention that he caught up on Dragon Ball Super instead!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Andrew wrote:
Crash Kamio wrote:poi

Thanks CK! Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that found Izetta's ending to be fine haha. Was beginning to think I was the outlier here. I do agree that those fluff episodes have purpose. I was just coming off enjoying the frontline stuff that I didn't want it to pull away from there.

I am also awaiting more MGRP, especially since I've been hearing positive things about how it ramps up after what was adapted.

Crash Kamio wrote:Can't wait for the next batch of reviews! I was wondering how many parts you guys would have. Cool to know we have three more coming, had no idea you guys picked up a lot more shows. Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Funny story. Our purpose for pulling back on shows was to get caught up on review petitions. Well, we cut the shows and Chris decided to use that extra time to do other things, so I just decided to continue on watching everything that was cut :P

I feel like a slave driver sometimes pushing him to watch things, so often I give up and just do my own thing. Which is why I went ahead and solo'ed Big Windup and Super Gals. If anyone wants to make him feel bad, just mention that he caught up on Dragon Ball Super instead!

Izetta: I was thinking the same thing with the ending, was a solid end to a good show! It made sense to me, I didn't think of the ending like how you put it to Whiskey, if anything that makes more sense and make me respect it a bit more. But I know what you mean about coming off the front lines stuff and wanting to go back. It was really cool seeing it and it was engaging to watch. and probably some of the best parts about the show. I would have loved more of that as well. It probably would have made the show a tad more consistant. This show probably would have benefitted greatly from being a two cour show. That way we'd get a bit more of the Frontline stuff and the more laid back fluff that was just fun, getting attached to the charecters. But what we got was good and I really like it. Maybe it'll get adapted to a manga form and it'll benefit from it.

MGRP: Hopefully one day we'll get more, from what I've been seeing this show has a bit of a following and is fairly popular. If not at least the novels are on the way.

Haha that's kinda funny. That does explain why you've gone solo on some of the reviews as of late. Understandable since I imagine the review copies pile up quick, wanting to get them done and finished I understand. Especially super gals cause that was a long one. Hopefully Chris will participate in some of the other ones soon, (which I'm sure he will) it's fun hearing you guys go back and forth on a show.