275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Image
The host of the Otaku Spirit Animecast return for yet another Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations podcast. Join them as they run through the year and pick their best seasonal, genre winners, characters, best of the best, and more. This is a raw and nearly uncut recording of their deliberations.

Deliberations covered in this episode: Deliberating title fitting for genres Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Sci-Fi/Mecha, Horror/Psychological, Comedy, Harem, Ecchi, Slice of Life, Romance, Sports, Military, Mystery/Supernatural, and Cute Girls/Cute Things.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Flying Witch called “Sharanran feat. 96 Neko” by miwa. The outro for this episode is the ED for Space Patrol Luluco called “Pipo Password” by Teddyloid ft. Bonjour Suzuki.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/01/animecas ... ns-part-2/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Mys145 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:39 am

I really think Berserk is more supernatural and than fantasy. The fantasy argument might have work with the original 90s anime series since it was mostly a gritty low fantasy that ramp up its supernatural element at the very end but after that, it's entrenched in the supernatural. Its darkness fits more with the supernatural than it does with fantasy.

As with Amanchu! could be in the sports genre, I can't necessary agree with what they were as a sport. As far as I know, underwater diving doesn't really have any sports involved with it. It was definitely more of a hobby that required some physical preparation.

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am

Berserk is high fantasy for sure. I wouldn't call supernatural it's own genre, more of a theme for a story

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 am

Mys145 wrote:I really think Berserk is more supernatural and than fantasy. The fantasy argument might have work with the original 90s anime series since it was mostly a gritty low fantasy that ramp up its supernatural element at the very end but after that, it's entrenched in the supernatural. Its darkness fits more with the supernatural than it does with fantasy.


Ok as I do not give myself credit for watching the show I will only comment offhandedly. As I am aware this show is similar to claymore in that the "baddies" are demons from hell or whereever. And demons can be considered supernatural. I'll let andy speak as he was more the decider on the series and I was deferring to him on the decision. But I can speak knowing why I would have made the decision. Demons and angels can go just as easily into a fantasy setting as a supernatural setting. Remember that what really separates the two is the world itself. Ushio and Tora could just as easily be a fantasy. But what separates them is the world itself.in ushio and Tora you are exploring a more modern setting and excersizing the yokai / demons and in berserk you are in a more fantasy setting and exploring more lore and fantasy elements.

Like I said I'll let andy speak more as the informed of the two of us on it but that's why I would have made that decision. If he had said otherwise I would have deferred to his judgment.
Image

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:19 am

Mys145 wrote:I really think Berserk is more supernatural and than fantasy. The fantasy argument might have work with the original 90s anime series since it was mostly a gritty low fantasy that ramp up its supernatural element at the very end but after that, it's entrenched in the supernatural. Its darkness fits more with the supernatural than it does with fantasy.

Meets the quota for Fantasy. Just has mix genres. But that's fine if you think it's stronger in one area than another. Technically many elements of supernatural fit the very description of Fantasy. Thus the subgenre debate comes up.

Mys145 wrote:As with Amanchu! could be in the sports genre, I can't necessary agree with what they were as a sport. As far as I know, underwater diving doesn't really have any sports involved with it. It was definitely more of a hobby that required some physical preparation.

Eh, not really into debating something like this since we did have Aokana in the listing and it's not even real. But many view scuba diving as having every characteristic of a sport and thus have labeled it in many official and unofficial listings as a sport. But it's not really a big deal.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 pm
Location: CT, USA
Contact:

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby thegenkiguy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Great episode (yes, I'm a little behind xP). Even though you guys didn't make final decisions in this one, I still enjoyed listening to both of you decide what belonged where. Did you guys assume the genre based on what you watched, or did you use something like MAL for reference? I know that you ultimately assigned a show a genre based on where it delivered the most strongly, but I was just wondering.

Also, I forgot which genre you ended up placing it in this episode, but I thought that Keijo was definitely an ecchi. I know the sport was the focus, but I thought it was as much the focus as cooking was in Food Wars, which is considered an ecchi as well. (You don't have to defend your decision or anything. Just adding my 2 cents ^^)

Anyway, this was fun to listen to. Can't wait to finally catch up.

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 275) Best Anime of 2016 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 pm

thegenkiguy wrote:Great episode (yes, I'm a little behind xP). Even though you guys didn't make final decisions in this one, I still enjoyed listening to both of you decide what belonged where. Did you guys assume the genre based on what you watched, or did you use something like MAL for reference? I know that you ultimately assigned a show a genre based on where it delivered the most strongly, but I was just wondering.

Also, I forgot which genre you ended up placing it in this episode, but I thought that Keijo was definitely an ecchi. I know the sport was the focus, but I thought it was as much the focus as cooking was in Food Wars, which is considered an ecchi as well. (You don't have to defend your decision or anything. Just adding my 2 cents ^^)

Anyway, this was fun to listen to. Can't wait to finally catch up.



Have fun and take your time. That's the point of our casts just to enjoy and inform. And I say inform lightly because if you hang out long enough you will probibly find something we say that's wrong.

And to answer the question no we steer away from mal genre stuff. We have had disagreements with it at times. It's fine for helping people find shows they are interested in though.
Image