283) Amazon Tells Netflix To Hold His Drink

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

283) Amazon Tells Netflix To Hold His Drink

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 am

It’s been some time since the Otaku Spirit Animecast have held a discussional podcast episode and there’s tons to talk about. Join the hosts as they get caught up on news and give their take on the happenings in the anime (and Japanese video game) world!

Topics this episode: Discotek license rescues, Made In Abyss Anime, Little Busters Kud Wafter Anime, Kuma Miko Mangaka’s New Manga, Nekopara Anime Kickstarter, Seven Seas’ New Licenses, Seven Seas and J-Novel Printing, Kodansha Licenses, Atlus USA and Utawarerumono Games, NISA and Anime Licenses, Funimation Simuldubs, Amazon launches Anime Strike, Second Season of Yuki Yuna, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tones, Nintendo Switch Conference, MyAnimeList Editing Debacle, and much more!

Thanks to Companion Kyuubey and jeckyllgeek for the questions featured in this episode. Thanks to Mythbustman for the great review!

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Actually I Am called “Himitsu o Chōdai” by Ars Magna. The closing song for this episode is the OP for Key Metal Idol called “In the Night” by Sario Kijima.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/01/animecas ... his-drink/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Re: 283) Amazon Tells Netflix To Hold His Drink

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Great discussional with a lot of great conversations! Pretty excited to see 5 Centimeters Per Second get a physical release over here, I'll have to pick up a copy. And I was happy to get some clear news on Yuki Yuna, can't wait for it!

I'm super hyped for the Little Busters Kud story in the works. More Little Busters is a good thing by me! It's one of my favorite series. I really loved the OVA set that came out not long ago, was a nice addition to the franchise. Can't wait to see Kuds side story get animated, Kud is so cute and an amazing charecter.

It's really unfortunate that Amazon is being kinda stupid with anime. When you guys started talking about Anime Strike I was about ready to get a subscription until you mentioned the needing to be a prime member to get it. They're holding some great shows and it sucks not everyone will be able to see them unless you pay the $15 a month for prime and strike. I'd get it if I was a prime member but I don't use amazon to buy dvds and such enough to justify it. Well as you guys said there's an uproar about it maybe something will change and I hope it does.

Great as always, the weekly casts make my weeks go a bit faster. And the cast title made me chuckle, too bad Amazon had to tell Netflix "dude hold my beer".

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:17 am

Amazon hiding the anime under the Amazon Prime wall is a bit annoying. They should have a separate anime option if people don't want Prime ie myself or include it with Prime but not have it be both.

At least you guys are willing to give the Nintendo Switch a chance compared to others who think that Nintendo should either make their version of the XBox One/PS4 or just go the Sega route and give up making hardware all together. Nintendo leaving the console market would be very bad because Microsoft and Sony don't really do much with their stuff besides upping the number of flops it has while Nintendo tries to do something new.

I was thinking about why the early March date and came to the conclusion that they want to ramp up production of the Switch by the holiday while avoiding the new XBox Scorpio (or whatever less cool name it becomes) that might be coming the end of the year. I have seen people getting annoyed by the startup cost of the Switch and to me, they are forgetting that every console launch has a startup cost that's more than the initial box.

I been excited for the Switch for some time now since it fits with my lifestyle since I would like to play console games as a handheld. I sort of can do that with the WiiU but with the Switch, I can take it away from home now. I managed to get a preorder and will get Zelda. I don't really care about online except for buying games digitally so I'm not mad about the online features.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:43 am

Crash Kamio wrote:It's really unfortunate that Amazon is being kinda stupid with anime. When you guys started talking about Anime Strike I was about ready to get a subscription until you mentioned the needing to be a prime member to get it. They're holding some great shows and it sucks not everyone will be able to see them unless you pay the $15 a month for prime and strike. I'd get it if I was a prime member but I don't use amazon to buy dvds and such enough to justify it. Well as you guys said there's an uproar about it maybe something will change and I hope it does.

Hah, sorry for the tease. I really am glad I already sub Prime for free shipping. I save hundreds a year with that, so it covers it for me. I WOULD NOT do Anime Strike if I didn't already have Prime, that's insane just for 2-3 shows a season. And unless you've got time and want to check out some backlog, but even then, Prime has a measly catalog compared to CR/Funi.

Mys145 wrote:Amazon hiding the anime under the Amazon Prime wall is a bit annoying. They should have a separate anime option if people don't want Prime ie myself or include it with Prime but not have it be both.

At least you guys are willing to give the Nintendo Switch a chance compared to others who think that Nintendo should either make their version of the XBox One/PS4 or just go the Sega route and give up making hardware all together. Nintendo leaving the console market would be very bad because Microsoft and Sony don't really do much with their stuff besides upping the number of flops it has while Nintendo tries to do something new.

I was thinking about why the early March date and came to the conclusion that they want to ramp up production of the Switch by the holiday while avoiding the new XBox Scorpio (or whatever less cool name it becomes) that might be coming the end of the year. I have seen people getting annoyed by the startup cost of the Switch and to me, they are forgetting that every console launch has a startup cost that's more than the initial box.

I been excited for the Switch for some time now since it fits with my lifestyle since I would like to play console games as a handheld. I sort of can do that with the WiiU but with the Switch, I can take it away from home now. I managed to get a preorder and will get Zelda. I don't really care about online except for buying games digitally so I'm not mad about the online features.

It's just a very confusing prospect, which was why we worded it the way we did. That you wont see the button to buy the sub without Prime. It's just unheard of in the On Demand world of online stream, besides the remnants of Broadcast television still holding onto their design.

I'm glad we did this recording about Switch when we did, because right afterwards I just started running into negative online personality after negative online personality, and some of the feedback is just venomous. I don't mind that people are upset, or think it's not for them, but some of the criticism is either misinformed, premature, or just unfair. Like the lack of knowledge on how expensive USB-C is, how much tech is in them, what its appeal market is, and how it's NOT A PS4.

I'm with many others, I don't want another PS4/Xbox1 box of power. They already do that. My comments about them having the power for 3rd party is just so it makes money, not that I want another one of those boxes. And for people to say they want them to give up on hardware is ignoring the fun and interesting things they do. Nintendo shakes up the market, and I want them to continue to do that.

I want Switch to be successful, and I hope my theory of them having all of WiiU and 3DS's development power focused on Switch going forward comes true. Because with that Japanese developing power alone, Switch will be an amazing piece of hardware with tons to offer. But that all rides on them letting 3DS die, and not making a 4DS. Or at the least, getting 3DS/4DS developers on board with cross developing.

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 am

The other issue with switch is the nickel and dime on accessories

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Andrew wrote:Hah, sorry for the tease. I really am glad I already sub Prime for free shipping. I save hundreds a year with that, so it covers it for me. I WOULD NOT do Anime Strike if I didn't already have Prime, that's insane just for 2-3 shows a season. And unless you've got time and want to check out some backlog, but even then, Prime has a measly catalog compared to CR/Funi.

Haha no worries, with the title of the cast I was anticipating a huge negative, and boy did I get a negative. Thats good you guys can get it and that its worth it for you, sucks for people without prime but what can ya do? Maybe in the future once they have a bigger catalog of shows I'll buy into it. It is insane the amount of money it is.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:Haha no worries, with the title of the cast I was anticipating a huge negative, and boy did I get a negative. Thats good you guys can get it and that its worth it for you, sucks for people without prime but what can ya do? Maybe in the future once they have a bigger catalog of shows I'll buy into it. It is insane the amount of money it is.

I thought there would be a possibility for them to backtrack on their current pricing setup, until I learned that the Anime Strike Channel was their test bed for the idea of doing Paid Premium "Channels" for their Prime Video service. So I'd assume later they will be doing things like "Children's Package" and such with the same model.

michelous wrote:The other issue with switch is the nickel and dime on accessories

Not sure what you mean. Pro Controller and Joycon are fairly close in price range to the original MSRP of any other console. Problem is the tech in the Joycons are (if Nintendo's presentation is true) filled with a lot more tech than a standard controller from another console. Plus they can serve as 2 controllers, making the $10 difference turn into 2 controllers versus just 1 for $10 less.

About the only pricing issue I can't argue much with is the cost for the dock, which is $90 USD. About the only thing that can possible make make it need that price tag is the cost of components like USBC. TBH it sucks, because I totally would love to stick one on each TV.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 am

Andrew wrote:
Crash Kamio wrote:Haha no worries, with the title of the cast I was anticipating a huge negative, and boy did I get a negative. Thats good you guys can get it and that its worth it for you, sucks for people without prime but what can ya do? Maybe in the future once they have a bigger catalog of shows I'll buy into it. It is insane the amount of money it is.

I thought there would be a possibility for them to backtrack on their current pricing setup, until I learned that the Anime Strike Channel was their test bed for the idea of doing Paid Premium "Channels" for their Prime Video service. So I'd assume later they will be doing things like "Children's Package" and such with the same model.

I could totally see that being the case, they would make so much money off of something like that, I dont doubt that's true. With Prime giving people free shipping and if you pay extra for a premium channel like that people will hop on that fast.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:20 am

Has anyone written an article for ANN, blog, etc on how the Amazon/Netflix models are encouraging piracy?
I've seen folks saying they're no willing to wait on those outlets and are going elsewhere.

Seems like the piracy specter raised by Amazon/Netlix could be used against them by CR/FM in negotiating for licensing deals.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm glad we did this recording about Switch when we did, because right afterwards I just started running into negative online personality after negative online personality, and some of the feedback is just venomous. I don't mind that people are upset, or think it's not for them, but some of the criticism is either misinformed, premature, or just unfair. Like the lack of knowledge on how expensive USB-C is, how much tech is in them, what its appeal market is, and how it's NOT A PS4.

I'm with many others, I don't want another PS4/Xbox1 box of power. They already do that. My comments about them having the power for 3rd party is just so it makes money, not that I want another one of those boxes. And for people to say they want them to give up on hardware is ignoring the fun and interesting things they do. Nintendo shakes up the market, and I want them to continue to do that.

I want Switch to be successful, and I hope my theory of them having all of WiiU and 3DS's development power focused on Switch going forward comes true. Because with that Japanese developing power alone, Switch will be an amazing piece of hardware with tons to offer. But that all rides on them letting 3DS die, and not making a 4DS. Or at the least, getting 3DS/4DS developers on board with cross developing.

I do get if the Switch is not for some people for various reasons but it was over the top some of the reactions towards it especially when it wasn't something like the other two consoles. Sure Nintendo could copy the other two's online infrastructure but it doesn't need to be an exact clone. With the internal chipset being close to Android, third parties should be able to develop games on the Switch easier compared to the WiiU and hopefully they can use the Joycons in creative ways as well.

People getting mad at USB-C is crazy. They should be happy that Nintendo actually using the future of standard chargers instead of the unique chargers for the 3DS and the WIIU Gamepad (they actually were different chargers). As for the various accessories, they were always a bit expensive but that's nothing new. I don't see Nintendo making a super elite controller for $150 like the XBox1 has. Sure it will hurt for people who constantly have friends over to play games and have to shell out money for more controllers unlike the other two since they are more about the online multiplayer than local multiplayer. I do eventually see third party accessories being a thing as well but it will probably be some time before those will come out.