284) Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

284) Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 pm

In the UC 0123, a war breaks out within a colony. The desires of a family leads to massive bloodshed and the civilians in the middle are forced to flee or fight back. A story with potential, however marred by an unfortunate production choice. Does it hold up despite? Listen and find out!

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam F91 was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf.

The intro and outro music for this episode is from Mobile Suit Gundam F91 called “Eternal Wind ~ Hohoemi wa Hikaru Kaze no Naka (Smile in the Shining Wind)” by Hiroko Moriguchi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/01/animecas ... undam-f91/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 284) Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 am

Whenever topic of F91 comes in I always make a joke that this is a movie only I like.I don't know why,but in case of this movie I focus more on what's in it rather than what's missing.I still recognize the fact that tere is alot missing,but for some reason I just can't stop enjoying this movie.
Opening sequence was executed brilliantly,attack on colony felt horrifying.For me personally this is the best scene of its kind in the industry.It shows chaos and confusion of early stages of war perfectly.
I'm just happy that Tomino was given opportunity to expand on F91 concept and fill in some holes in novel form...It's not like this novel will be ever officially licensed in US...Like almost every Gundam novel.
BTW.Mobile armor at the end of the movie is called XMA-01 Rafflesia.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I also enjoyed F91 a fair bit. The rushed pace of the movie definitely does it no favors but overall I think it's a good story. I hope that if/when Sunrise does a new UC series it's a continuation of F91 because it is definitely a cast with a lot of potential and a pretty interesting story. The one thing that almost bothered me was that the F91 has a face, but then they covered it up for the rest of the movie so it's all good.

Spoiler:
On another note I think I heard Andrew mention that the mobile armor having a pilot was different. I can only assume this in reference to the mobile armor from IBO being unmanned. The mobile armor in IBO to my knowledge is the first time we've seen an unmanned mobile armor in a gundam series as every other one I can think of has a pilot.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Whenever topic of F91 comes in I always make a joke that this is a movie only I like.I don't know why,but in case of this movie I focus more on what's in it rather than what's missing.I still recognize the fact that tere is alot missing,but for some reason I just can't stop enjoying this movie.
Opening sequence was executed brilliantly,attack on colony felt horrifying.For me personally this is the best scene of its kind in the industry.It shows chaos and confusion of early stages of war perfectly.
I'm just happy that Tomino was given opportunity to expand on F91 concept and fill in some holes in novel form...It's not like this novel will be ever officially licensed in US...Like almost every Gundam novel.
BTW.Mobile armor at the end of the movie is called XMA-01 Rafflesia.

Definitely see where your coming from. Potential just always manages to cloud my mind when I look back on a show. Where could it have gone, what was it setting out to do, etc. Hoping someday a company will go "Hey, we should test the waters on these Gundam novels/manga. Or maybe they are just unlicenseable?

Definitely agree on the opening. It's brutal, and chaotic, fresh out of a calm and peaceful setting.

Well, at least I didn't make a fool out of myself when I called it a Mobile Armor haha..

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I also enjoyed F91 a fair bit. The rushed pace of the movie definitely does it no favors but overall I think it's a good story. I hope that if/when Sunrise does a new UC series it's a continuation of F91 because it is definitely a cast with a lot of potential and a pretty interesting story. The one thing that almost bothered me was that the F91 has a face, but then they covered it up for the rest of the movie so it's all good.

Spoiler:
On another note I think I heard Andrew mention that the mobile armor having a pilot was different. I can only assume this in reference to the mobile armor from IBO being unmanned. The mobile armor in IBO to my knowledge is the first time we've seen an unmanned mobile armor in a gundam series as every other one I can think of has a pilot.

I've heard that a few times, and I definitely agree. I'd love for them to revisit F91 and give it a full fledged series, or maybe even a movie series.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I still have issues with differentiating between mobile suits and mobile armors. Totally forgot about others like AMA-X7 from UC0096. IBO was just fresh in the mind.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Andrew wrote:Hoping someday a company will go "Hey, we should test the waters on these Gundam novels/manga. Or maybe they are just unlicenseable?

So far we have original Gundam Tomino novels,Gundam The Origin manga,Gundam Thunderbolt manga and some Gundam manga that Vertical teased recently and some few smaller Manga.
As to reason behind that,Your guess is as good as mine.My theory is that because Gundam popularity in Japan the licenses are so expensive that no one wants to take the risk.