285) Best Anime of 2016 Awards

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

285) Best Anime of 2016 Awards

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 am

You’ve heard the Otaku Spirit Animecast Hosts’ deliberations, and the community’s votes have been tallied. Now it’s time for the official Otaku Spirit Anime Awards. Listen in and find out the final verdict on choices for the best anime of 2016!

Awards for 2016: Best of Winter, Best of Spring, Best of Summer, Best of Fall, Biggest Surprise, Biggest Disappointment, Worst, Best Short, Best Film, Best Visuals, Best Animation, Best Art, Best Character, Best Girl, Best Boy, Best Animation, Best Couple, Most OP, Best Villain, Best Concept, Best Original, and Best Anime of 2016!

A special thank you goes out to Logan from the community (as well as AnimeArcade.net) and our wonderful community for making this episode happen. As promised to others, check the forum thread for this article for a complete breakdown of all the winners.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Re:Zero called “Redo” by Konomi Suzuki. The outro for this episode is the ED for Occultic;Nine called “Open your eyes” by Asaka.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/01/animecas ... 16-awards/

The Winners!
Spoiler:
Winter 2016
Community: 1.Erased, 2.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 3.Konosuba, 4.Durarara X2 Third Arc, 5.Snow White With The Red Hair 2 and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.
Chris: 1.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, 2.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 3.Myriad Colors Phantom World, 4.GATE 2, 5.ERASED.
Andrew: 1.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 2.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, 3.ERASED, 4.KONOSUBA, 5.Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 1.

Spring 2016
Community: 1.My Hero Academia, 2.Flying Witch, 3.Tanaka-kun is Always Listless and Kiznaiver, 5.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.
Chris: 1.Kiznaiver, 2.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 3.Sailor Moon Crystal 3, 4.Ushio and Tora 2, 5.My Hero Academia.
Andrew: 1.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 2.Ushio and Tora 2, 3.Three Leaves Three Colors, 4.Flying Witch, 5.Joker Game.

Summer 2016
Community: 1.Re:Zero, 2.NEW GAME, 3.Orange and Mob Psycho 100, 5.Sweetness and Lightning.
Chris: 1.Sweetness & Lightning, 2.Amanchu!, 3.Alderamin on the Sky, 4.The Art Club Has A Problem, 5.NEW GAME.
Andrew: 1.Re:Zero, 2.NEW GAME, 3.Planetarian, 4.ReLIFE, 5.91 Days.

Fall 2016
Community: 1.FLIP FLAPPERS, 2.Sound Euphonium 2 and Keijo, 4.Yuri On Ice!, 5.Haikyuu 3.
Chris: 1.Poco's Udon World, 2.Sound Euphonium 2, 3.Magical Girl Raising Project, 4.FLIP FLAPPERS, 5.Izetta The Last Witch.
Andrew: 1.FLIP FLAPPERS, 2.Sound Euphonium 2, 3.Natsume Yujincho 5, 4.WWWWagnaria, 5.Occultic;Nine.

Biggest Surprise
Community: 1.Re:Zero, 2.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 3.KONOSUBA, 4.FLIP FLAPPERS, 5.ReLIFE
Chris: 1.Ajin, 2.Please Tell Me Galko-chan, 3.The Morose Mononokean, 4.SERVAMP, 5.BBK BRNK
Andrew: 1.Three Leaves Three Colors, 2.Please Tell Me Galko-chan, 3.BBK BRNK, 4.Luck and Logic, 5.Mob Psycho 100.

Biggest Disappointment
Community: 1.Rewrite and The Lost Village, 3.Dimension W, 4.Re:Zero, 5.Kabanaeri of the Iron Fortress and Ace Attorney.
Chris: 1.Dimension W, 2.Battery, 3.Cerberus, 4.Big Order, 5.Utawarerumono The False Faces.
Andrew: 1.Battery, 2.Rewrite, 3.Dimension W, 4.Big Order, 5.Utawarerumono The False Faces.

Worst
Community: 1. The Lost Village, 2.Ace Attorney and Big Order, 4.Taboo Tattoo, 5.Active Raid.
Chris/Andrew: 1.Super Lovers, 2.Gakuen Handsome, 3.Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls, 4.JK MESHI, 5.Crane Game Girls, 6.Phantasy Star Online 2.

Best Short
Community: 1.Shelter, 2.She and Her Cat and Please Tell Me Galko-chan, 4.Space Patrol Luluco and My Wife Is The Student Council President.
Chris: 1.Shelter, 2.Planetarian, 3.Disastrous Life of Saiki K, 4.Please Tell Me Galko-chan, 5.She and Her Cat.
Andrew: 1.Shelter, 2.Planetarian, 3.Please Tell Me Galko-chan, 4.She and Her Cat, 5.Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

Best Film
Community: 1.Your Name, 2.Kizumonogatari 1, 3.Girls Und Panzer der Film, 4.I've Always Liked You, 5.Kizumonogatari 2.

Best Visuals
Community: 1.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 2.Sound Euphonium 2, 3.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 4.FLIP FLAPPERS, 5.Mob Psycho 100.

Best Animation
Chris: 1.Sound Euphonium 2, 2.Myriad Colors Phantom World, 3.FLIP FLAPPERS, 4.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 5.My Hero Academia.
Andrew: 1.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 2.FLIP FLAPPERS, 3.Sound Euphonium 2, 4.Mob Psycho 100, 5.Myriad Colors Phantom World.

Best Art
Chris: 1.Kiznaiver, 2.FLIP FLAPPERS, 3.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 4.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 5.Tales of Zestiria The X.
Andrew: 1.FLIP FLAPPERS, 2.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 3.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, 4.ERASED, 5.Kiznaiver.

Best Character
Community: 1.Rem (Re:Zero), 2.Yume (Grimgar), 3.Reigen (Mob Psycho), 4.Sachiko (ERASED), 5.Kou (NEW GAME).

Best Girl
Chris: 1.Rory (GATE2), 2.Mumei (Kabaneri), 3.Rem (ReZero), 4.Beatrice (ReZero), 5.Yatori (Alderamin).
Andrew: 1.Rem (ReZero), 2.Mumei (Kabaneri), 3.Yume (Grimgar), 4.Shirayuki (Snow White), 5.Sachiko (ERASED).

Best Boy
Chris: 1.Felix (ReZero), 2.Poco (Udon World), 3.Ushio (Ushio and Tora), 4.Daryun (Arslan), 5.Orga (Gundam).
Andrew: 1.Satou (Ajin), 2.Felix (ReZero), 3.Tora (Ushio and Tora), 4.Yakumo (Showa), 5.Satoru (ERASED).

Cutest Character
Chris: 1.Tsumugi (Sweetness), 2.Poco (Udon World), 3.Sherry (GATE2), 4.Chinatsu (Flying Witch), 5.Machi (KumaMiko).
Andrew: 1.Kayo (ERASED), 2.Machi (KumaMiko), 3.Sherry (GATE2), 4.Yumemi (Planetarian), 5.Mimi (ReZero).

Best Couple
Suggestions: Usagi/Mamoru (Sailor Moon Crystal 3), Ushio/Asako (Ushio and Tora 2), Shirayuki/Zen (Snow White With The Red Hair), Celty/Shinra (DurararaX2), Manato/Shihoru (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash), Mika/Kudelia/Atra (Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans), Mika/Orga (Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans), Wilhelm/Thearesia (Re:Zero), Rem/Felix (Re:Zero)

Most OP
Chris: 1.Rory (GATE2), 2.All Might (Hero Academia), 3.Koro-sensei (AsClas), 4.Satou (Ajin), 5.Hardgore Alice (Raising Project).
Andrew: 1.Mob (Psycho 100), 2.Hong (Terraformars), 3.Hardgore Alice (Raising Project), 4.Vurai (Utawarerumono), 5.Rory (GATE2).

Best Villain
Chris: 1.Hakumen No Mono (Ushio), 2.Kobalt King (Grimgar), 3.Satou (Ajin), 4.Tomura (HeroAcademia), 5.Beatelgeus (Re:Zero).
Andrew: 1.Hakumen No Mono (Ushio), 2.Satou (Ajin), 3.Beatelgeus (Re:Zero), 4.Raji (SnowWhite), 5.Fav (Raising Project).

Original
Chris: 1.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 2.Kiznaiver, 3.FLIP FLAPPERS, 4.Izetta the Last Witch, 5.Iron-Blooded Orphans.
Andrew: 1.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 2.FLIP FLAPPERS, 3.91 Days, 4.Qualidea Code, 5.Iron-Blooded Orphans.

Concept
Chris: 1.Magial Girl Raising Project, 2.Alderamin on the Sky, 3.Heavy Object, 4.The Lost Village, 5.Qualidea Code.
Andrew: 1.Re:Zero, 2.Occultic;Nine, 3.Qualidea Code, 4.Magical Girl Raising Project, 5.Heavy Object.

Best Anime of 2016
Community: 1.ERASED, 2.Re:Zero, 3.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 4.My Hero Academia, 5.KONOSUBA.
Chris: 1.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, 2.Poco's Udon World, 3.Sound Euphonium 2, 4.Sweetness and Lightning, 5.Myriad Colors Phantom World.
Andrew: 1.Re:zero, 2.Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, 3.Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, 4.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, 5.ERASED.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 285) Best Anime of 2016 Awards

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Rem should recive special award:
Spoiler:
worst Twister player of the year.

I got ReZero to most disappointing...Yay...I won!

When You mentioned Mika harem I lost it...It's so true!

Thanks for the mention,I will make sure to work as hard or even harder next year!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Rem should recive special award:
Spoiler:

Oh, that ain't right! ::pff::

BTAG
Crazy About Anime

Postby BTAG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:54 am

Spoiler:

Thanks for the mention,I will make sure to work as hard or even harder next year!

I also helped get ReZero to most disappointing. We're the best!

Also, I'm beyond upset that Haikyuu wasn't in the top 5. It was by far the best anime of 2016, but I guess Logan and I weren't enough to get it into the top 5.

Also, Nobunaga from Drifters deserves praise for being the best Nobunaga in a medium filled with thousands of them. He was incredible from start to finish.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:41 am

BTAG wrote:
Kocurek1944 wrote:I got ReZero to most disappointing...Yay...I won!

Internet high five!

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:09 am

BTAG wrote:
Spoiler:

Also, I'm beyond upset that Haikyuu wasn't in the top 5. It was by far the best anime of 2016, but I guess Logan and I weren't enough to get it into the top 5.

Also, Nobunaga from Drifters deserves praise for being the best Nobunaga in a medium filled with thousands of them. He was incredible from start to finish.

I helped it's way too most disappointing myself

BrOtaku
Crazy About Anime

Postby BrOtaku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Excellent cast as always Chris and Andrew! I really appreciated all the Showa love, hope you guys are also enjoying this second season we got going now! I'm loving that Konatsu is getting more screen time.

Also I like your guys' shipping of Felix and Rem, hadn't thought of that one. I laughed when Chris said he ships the "Fire" outa them :lol:

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:58 pm

How'd you guys know I stuffed the votes in favor of Haikyuu!!!!????!??!?!?! :lol:

Interesting results this year! Wasn't expecting Flip Flappers to be the top pick for the Fall season, and we all know that Haifuri is the worst show of 2016, no matter what the votes say! :D

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Kiznaiver got love, yay!

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Planetarian was considered a short?!? I thought a short was shows under 14 to 15 minutes long. If I knew Planetarian was considered a short that'd be my number one short no hesitation! Thought I'd explain myself for that since Planetarian was my #1 of the entire year.

But anyway. Great as always guys! Really awesome hearing everyone's combined lists, I was very surprised with the number one best of overall choice for the community. I thought Re Zero had it, was extremely surprised Erased beat it out. Both fantastic shows though!

Here's to a great 2017! Appreciate everything you guys do, as well as what Logan, Neko and what everyone does for the forums. OS is a great group of people I'm very happy to be a part of it. Looking forward to a great year with you guys and the community!