293) Miyazaki Needs A Switch

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

293) Miyazaki Needs A Switch

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:17 am

Before the between-season madness begins, the hosts of the Animecast get together for another fun-filled discussional podcast. Hitting all the important anime news bits, as well as talking about the recently launched Nintendo Switch!

Topic this episode: Dragon Dentist, Heaven’s Feel, J-Novel Licenses, Daisuki’s New Streams, Japanese Animation 100th Anniversary, Kemono Friends continuation, Miyazaki’s new film, One Punch Man OVAs, Love Live Sunshine Return, Little Witch Academia Subtitled, Btoom App to Anime, Hell Girl Returns, Killing Bites Anime, Rightstuf Gundam News, Comcast Buying Universal Studios Japan, Comixology Licenses, Yen Press Licenses, Moonlight Arcadia, Berserk Manga Returns, Ancient Magus’ Bride Adaptation, Overlord Season 2, Nintendo Switch, Breath of the Wild, Idol Shows, Dropping Shows, and much more!

Thanks to QuestRam, SayakaMisaka, and Companion Kyuubey for the great questions featured in this episode!

For those that may not care about Nintendo Switch, our discussion of it runs from 109:30 to 1:40:55.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Btoom called “No pain, No game” by Nano. The outro for this episode is the ED for Overlord called “L.L.L.” by MYTH&ROID.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/03/animecas ... -a-switch/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 293) Miyazaki Needs A Switch

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:33 am

I must confess, I didn't list Perfect Blue when I talked about the best idol shows. I'm ashamed at myself.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 am

It's funny to me that the main girl in Dragon Dentist just recently quit acting and devoted full time to a cult called Happy Science.

I just read the Moonlight Acadia one-shot and can't really say it works as a one-shot. It definitely feels more like a chapter 1 of a new series.

Let's just see how long this run of Berserk will last before Miura goes back to hiatus again for whatever reason. It's him and the Hunter X Hunter guy who are on hiatus all the time but Hunter X Hunter guy takes long hiatuses due to back problems.

I feel like people sort of deny the fact that anime is a commercial product first and just not purely art. A long time ago we didn't get all the anime like we do now and the mindset of anime is purely art doesn't fit today. It's probably why people are constantly complaining that this season is the worst season of anime ever.

I love my Nintendo Switch along with Breath of the Wild. I haven't had a single crash while playing Breath of the Wild. I do like having it with me when I go to places. I do think 1-2 Switch should have the pack in game and not going to spend $50 on it. I think you guys should try Snipperclips since it's only $20 and has a demo on the eShop.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 am

Mys145 wrote:It's funny to me that the main girl in Dragon Dentist just recently quit acting and devoted full time to a cult called Happy Science.

I just read the Moonlight Acadia one-shot and can't really say it works as a one-shot. It definitely feels more like a chapter 1 of a new series.

Let's just see how long this run of Berserk will last before Miura goes back to hiatus again for whatever reason. It's him and the Hunter X Hunter guy who are on hiatus all the time but Hunter X Hunter guy takes long hiatuses due to back problems.

I feel like people sort of deny the fact that anime is a commercial product first and just not purely art. A long time ago we didn't get all the anime like we do now and the mindset of anime is purely art doesn't fit today. It's probably why people are constantly complaining that this season is the worst season of anime ever.

I love my Nintendo Switch along with Breath of the Wild. I haven't had a single crash while playing Breath of the Wild. I do like having it with me when I go to places. I do think 1-2 Switch should have the pack in game and not going to spend $50 on it. I think you guys should try Snipperclips since it's only $20 and has a demo on the eShop.

The way Moonight Arcadia was worded, it didn't seem like the setup for a one-shot. Guess it's another way of saying "testing the water without committing right away."

No doubt anime is an art form, by definition. Even if studios may not go for a "artistic" label. Though people may argue that the term requires other elements such as perceived emotional or statement impact to be art. I don't buy that, but that is fine to be different for someone else. That said, I may have gotten lost in my explanation, but I truly do think some anime go for being an artistic piece, rather than just a commercial product or silly gag series. At the same time, many titles still ditch the commercial side, face terrible sales, and go straight after something uniquely special. And my hats off to them.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Switch! We're definitely going to be giving Snipperclips a shot. It looks hilarious and reminds me of my family's experience with Little Big Planet.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 am

I won't deny that there are anime out there are meant to be art. My point was that a good amount of people want to believe that anime in general is art not a commercial product.

Moonlight Acadia is currently classified as a one-shot and part of Shounen Jump's string of new series/one-shots. Something has to replace Naruto/Bleach/Toriko.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 am

Man am I jealous you guys got all 37 volumes of Berserk! I only have up until 8 and its been hard pacing myself to make the volumes last more than a day. I'm so eager to get past where the 97 anime left off from. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Berserk manga. Where it'll go in the volumes I've yet to read or see in anime form I have no idea and I can't wait to find out. I believe volume 38 is available for pre order for a June release if i remember correctly.

I'll be looking forward to some manga reviews from you guys too. I'd love to hear your thoughts on School Live in the future. Especially with how different it is from the anime.

Great as always guys, discussionals always help fuel my Mondays. I liked hearing your thoughts on the Switch too. I don't have one but I've been enjoying hearing what people think of it. Since I've gotten back into gaming more this year I've been liking the video game talks whenever you guys decide to get into it.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 am

Mys145 wrote:I won't deny that there are anime out there are meant to be art. My point was that a good amount of people want to believe that anime in general is art not a commercial product.

Moonlight Acadia is currently classified as a one-shot and part of Shounen Jump's string of new series/one-shots. Something has to replace Naruto/Bleach/Toriko.

For sure, sorry I just went off and was clarifying myself, not so much picking at your comment. I agree in that respect. I guess it's sort of like claiming that technically EVERYTHING that is sculpted from something is technically art, but will someone agree that the plastic molding that someone designed for the handle of a toothbrush is art? Who knows..

Crash Kamio wrote:Man am I jealous you guys got all 37 volumes of Berserk! I only have up until 8 and its been hard pacing myself to make the volumes last more than a day. I'm so eager to get past where the 97 anime left off from. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Berserk manga. Where it'll go in the volumes I've yet to read or see in anime form I have no idea and I can't wait to find out. I believe volume 38 is available for pre order for a June release if i remember correctly.

I'll be looking forward to some manga reviews from you guys too. I'd love to hear your thoughts on School Live in the future. Especially with how different it is from the anime.

Great as always guys, discussionals always help fuel my Mondays. I liked hearing your thoughts on the Switch too. I don't have one but I've been enjoying hearing what people think of it. Since I've gotten back into gaming more this year I've been liking the video game talks whenever you guys decide to get into it.

Don't be, I don't have time to read them!!!! Jokes aside, I really am excited to jump into them. May put it in front of the line when I finish watching Nadesico. Now that I'm almost done with Breath of the Wild, my time is returning lol..

School-Live is definitely one I'm interested in diving into. May do each review as a two-parter. Spoilerfree and really diving into it in a second segment.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 am

Andrew wrote:Don't be, I don't have time to read them!!!! Jokes aside, I really am excited to jump into them. May put it in front of the line when I finish watching Nadesico. Now that I'm almost done with Breath of the Wild, my time is returning lol..

School-Live is definitely one I'm interested in diving into. May do each review as a two-parter. Spoilerfree and really diving into it in a second segment.

Haha, life been busy lately? Once you start them, you may find it hard to put down. I have at least, it's a good read! Is Breath of the Wild a long game? Seems you've been at it for a couple weeks.

Oh yeah that would be sweet. Give the bare analysis for people who haven't read it, then all the little details afterwards. Did you get volume 6 yet? It's now post anime stuff and it's really cool to read it.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Just a little suggestion for discussionals.
Adhere to this order: Anime, Manga, Community. Then if absolutely necessary, Gaming. Some of us don't give a Rat's A$$ about that stuff. ::mischief::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Neko wrote:Just a little suggestion for discussionals.
Adhere to this order: Anime, Manga, Community. Then if absolutely necessary, Gaming. Some of us don't give a Rat's A$$ about that stuff. ::mischief::

That's why we put the following in the shownotes:
For those that may not care about Nintendo Switch, our discussion of it runs from 109:30 to 1:40:55.

Lots of people like our gaming talk but it never takes priority over the rest. That's why it was a longer than usual discussional. But by your point, we don't always talk about things everyone cares about. Some hate manga, light novels, cg anime, puppets, etc. Just bare with it! :)