61) Fundamentals of Harems

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

61) Fundamentals of Harems

Postby Andrew » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:00 am

Boys transferring to all-girls schools, girls falling from the skies onto harmless boys, girls being moved into a single apartment in a broke down complex, or vampire boys seeking the delicious blood of a single girl. Harems, yes harems. We dive into what makes a harem and define the attributes about them.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Negima called “Happy Material” and can be found on iTunes. The outro for this episode is the OP for Oreimo called “Irony” by ClariS which can also be found on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!

http://otakuspirit.com/2014/10/animecas ... of-harems/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 61) Fundamentals of Harems

Postby Neko » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Thinking bout Hanagai, I think you could argue that Kodaka, Yozora, and perhaps even Sena were all ditherers. Communications skills were so broken that there was not much in the way of overt vying for Kodaka's attention, mainly butthurt when other people in the Neighbor's club got his attention. This is especially true of Yozora, but is true for Sena as well.

I realize you guys were laying out broad guidilines, and I see what you were after, but I think it's the variations on the themes that can make shows interesting.

I'm mostly done with the first season of Little Busters. Harem? Really? Does it get harem-ey in Refrain?

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 pm

nah i was using little busters as an example of harem elements.

also i agree differences what i keep pointing out. it is the diferences that keep me coming back. but hey i can only make so much of a case before i am effectivly dismissing its issues. you guys come to me because i am honest not because i make exuses for a genre.

Lenzark
Anime Junky

Postby Lenzark » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:53 pm

I read the subject as "61 Fundamentals of Harem" lol. Didn't realize there were that many?

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:48 am

I need to say a couple of things. One, when you refer to the Goddess Arc of the World God Only Knows, it's not the second season but the third. There was a second season in between the original season and the Goddess Arc. I think you guys tend to clump that season with the first one since it was just like the original one. I noticed this in a previous podcast as well.

It was Magical Teacher Negima for the first series and Negima!? for the reimagining.

I would disagree that Murakami from Brynhildr didn't have a goal. He was constantly thinking about saving the girls not about himself. Also I think the bath scenes aren't that bad. A show can have silly moments while still being serious at the same time.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Mys145 wrote:I would disagree that Murakami from Brynhildr didn't have a goal. He was constantly thinking about saving the girls not about himself. Also I think the bath scenes aren't that bad. A show can have silly moments while still being serious at the same time.

My issue with the bath scenes being "bad" was just that they would break very tensioned based moments. My biggest example being when one of the girls first showed up and they were all pretending to be dead. They were afraid, yet they followed that up with a chest comparing bath scene. It breaks the mood terribly. It also feels like part of the problem when you realized the ending was rushed.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 pm

what people consider seasons is a fickle thing. i apologize if me calling god only knows as the first season. it started in fall 2010. and had a season break then finished in spring 2011. but as i watched it it was a flowing story with the first significant change in story line being in the goddess arc. therefore i called the goddess arc the second season. some shows will be 24 episodes and be called season 1 and some shows are 1 season and be only 12 episodes. generally most people will hopefully know there is a difference when i am mentioning the first season of world god only knows and the goddess arc.

i will use current running shows to make a final point. than i hope you will understand what i am saying. i will be doing reviews on 24 episode shows that finished last season and i am hoping that i will not be confusing anyone. yowapeda just finished a 36 episode run in the spring of 2014 and is starting another cour this season. i would rather call it a 36 episode season (block of 36 episodes that go together). saying 3 seasons cuts it up into chunks that don't really need to be there. sword art online is another show that is doing the same thing. sword art online did 24 episodes and now we are watching the second season which is another 24 episodes.

ultimately the publishers may want to separate the show into multi seasons so that they can sell a show as season 1 and season 2. but for reasons of reviewing i will probably chunk parts that go together.

i hope that helps. thanks for the clarification. ;-)

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:15 pm

What I'm saying is that if I was going to look up the World God Only Knows based on previous podcasts, there would be confusion if I watched the second season and wonder what they were talking about. I'm not saying that your way of defining is wrong but from an informative perspective, it's incorrect information.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:30 am

Mys145 wrote:What I'm saying is that if I was going to look up the World God Only Knows based on previous podcasts, there would be confusion if I watched the second season and wonder what they were talking about. I'm not saying that your way of defining is wrong but from an informative perspective, it's incorrect information.

Don't mind Chris's wordiness. We haven't done a review for the first or second season but will definitely keep that in mind in the future. Appreciate the heads up!

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I would disagree that Murakami from Brynhildr didn't have a goal. He was constantly thinking about saving the girls not about himself. Also I think the bath scenes aren't that bad. A show can have silly moments while still being serious at the same time.

My issue with the bath scenes being "bad" was just that they would break very tensioned based moments. My biggest example being when one of the girls first showed up and they were all pretending to be dead. They were afraid, yet they followed that up with a chest comparing bath scene. It breaks the mood terribly. It also feels like part of the problem when you realized the ending was rushed.

Yeah they could of made the true "ending" that is in the manga if they had cut more of the unnecessary crap out of the manga. But instead of that they cut out a witch from the manga that I feel would of been nice to have in the anime because thats when you really get to see Kazumi shine. But they went for fan-service instead of character depth, which is a bit sad.