297) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

297) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 am

The Winter 2017 Anime Season is seeing its conclusion, and with that conclusion the Hosts of the Animecast are here to give their final thoughts. What became hits, and which became duds. Listen in and find out in this first of three review podcasts for the season!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: March Comes In Like A Lion, Konosuba 2, Masamune-kun’s Revenge, Interview With Monster Girls, Akiba’s Trip The Animation, Fuuka, Gabriel DropOut, One Room, and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2.

Note: Following the spoiler free reviews for these shows, and following the closing music, we go into a spoiler discussion on a few shows. If you have not watched the below shows, avoid listening within their time stamps.

1:55:30-2:11:50 Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
2:11:58-2:22:43 Fuuka Anime and Manga Spoilers
2:22:56-2:24:20 Masamune-kun’s Revenge (quick banter)
2:24:20-2:25:08 Konosuba 2 (quick banter)

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2 called “Imawa no Shinigami” by Megumi Hayashibara. The outro music for this episode is the ED for March Comes In Like A Lion called “orion” by Kenshi Yonezu. After the spoiler segment, we close with the ED for Fuuka called “Watashi no Sekai” by Megumi Nakajima

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/04/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 297) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Mys145 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am

Gabriel Dropout is a great show. I said it before in that thread but you should watch the OP/ED with the lyrics since CR doesn't sub it the OP/ED song. Also there's a half episode OVA that has a great twist on the censor streaks.

I was thinking the same thing with Fuuka about it doesn't focus much on Yuu's overuse of Twitter. I still think the hype from the manga readers ruin Fuuka especially since the twist never happen. I might read it one day and the twist will mean nothing.

I have an interesting question to propose about Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

Spoiler:
What would be your take if episode 1 of season 1 didn't happened until the end of Kiku's story? To me,
there's no point of starting the series right there especially when there will be a very long flashback. It's better to introduce Yotaro after the flashback so we won't forget him.

Also Kiku was a shortening of Kikuhiko, his original stage name before taking up the Yakumo name.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 am

Great as always guys! Review time is always a fun listen, regardless if I've seen a show you guys are talking about or not. I may be an odd one out but I ended up enjoying Fuuka a lot. I liked the drama, the music, characters, I dunno it just hit me in the right places. I certainly understand people's frustration with it though, its not perfect and i acknowledge that. But I couldn't help but really like it. Maybe I'm weird. O.o

I know I've baffled a few people as to why I like it so much. But regardless I plan to read the manga.

I also echo you guys 1000% with March Comes in like a Lion. Such a great show, it was beautiful, it hit me right, I'm so hyped for the second season. Can't wait! I hope its two cour again.

I also pretty much agree with Masamune Kun. I ended up just thinking it was a good solid show but it was a frustrating ride, especially the first half. It had potential to do something cool but it never really did anything. But I thought the comedy was pretty good for the second half which kept me through it and bumped it up my enjoyment for me a bit. Just a solid show at the end of the day that I can say was just fine, didn't really offend me. I wouldn't mind a second season to get some things resolved. I want to read the manga to see if it's any better.

Again great job! Looking forward to more reviews.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Mys145 wrote: ::peace::

I honestly really don't know why people that read the manga wanted to jump into FUUKA just for that moment. Made the change all that more hilarious though. I just went into it for Koyuki's little drama she created, and ended up staying for their change of her story. Which was probably the only interesting thing I got from it.

As for my Twitter comments for Yuu, I really do think that it was one of the FEW things the manga was doing that was somewhat interesting. Which made the "fall" Yuu experienced even more telling. Since he fell right back into it.

As for Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju:
Spoiler:
If you asked em at the end of Season 1, I'd easily tell you that it felt a bit useless to have the "storyteller" setup for Yakumo's story. However, the moment we have the true happenings of Sukeroku and Miyokichi's death, I immediately thought it was clever in a certain way. Being reminded that Season 1's telling of Yakumo's past was in his own words, and thus changed to keep Konatsu from knowing the truth.

Crash Kamio wrote: ::peace::

Just be aware that, despite some similarities early on, the Fuuka manga is not the same as the show. Since it deviated from it around episode 6. But.. if you like the music aspect, I think you'll probably like it. I felt the characters fell off for me.

For Masamune-kun, I'm not sure if I mentioned it on the podcast, but I've heard mumblings that a short OVA would cover the rest. That's second hand info though.

Glad you enjoyed, thanks as usual for the kind words!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 pm

"March Comes In Likre a Lion" was one of my favorite shows of the season. Really loved it a lot.

However, I'm not sure if it's an especially good or accurate depiction of depression. What we get is a kind of sanitized, romanticized version of depression. Kiriyama never misses a match, he joins a school club, he joins a Shogi workshop. We only see him bedridden with a bad cold, not with crippling depression. He's a taciturn, brooding guy, he has issues, but it doesn't come off like clinical depression.

As the spouse of someone with major depressive illness, Kakeru from Orange rang much more true than Kiriyama as a depressed person. Watching Kakeru struggle was actually quite painful for me at times, and quite familiar seeming.

But this is to take nothing away from March Comes in like a Lion. It's a brilliant show.