299) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

299) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Postby Andrew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Leaping forward to 0153 UC, the hosts of the Animecast tackle the Gundam claimed by many to be the most bloody. Does this Gundam offer more than production theorycrafting? Listen and find out!

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Blu-ray was provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Right Stuf.

Following the spoiler-free review of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, we go into a spoiler discussion of the more interesting moments of the series. If you have not watched the series, avoid listening beyond the 41:00 marker.

The intro for this episode is the OP1 for Mobile Suit Victory Gundam called “Stand Up To The Victory” by Tomohisa Kawasoe. The outro for this episode is the OP2 for Mobile Suit Victory Gundam called “Don’t Stop Carry On” by RD. Following the spoiler discussion, we close with the ED1 for Mobile Suit Victory Gundam called “Winners Forever” by INFIX

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/04/animecas ... ry-gundam/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 299) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Tomino was George R.R. Martin before it was cool.
Victory Gundam is morbid,this series opens up with genocide and after that corpses are just piling up.For me this was this show biggest strength,horrid undignified deaths and people left to deal with them.Unfortunately show has also parts that are just bizarre or plain stupid.Part of this quality duality was Tomino dissatisfaction with conditions of Bandai taking over Sunrise and depression following that.Episode order was changed because Bandai wanted Gundam in the opening episode,script was rewritten to include machines advertising Bandai newest molding technics.Shortly after finishing Victory Tomino quit Sunrise and wrote off all the rights to the franchise.
I am simply mixed on Victory.There were things I loved and things I hated,both in equal number.
Spoiler:
I'm suprised that You guys haven't mentioned Gundam fighting bikini babes.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Image
Victory Gundam is morbid,this series opens up with genocide and after that corpses are just piling up.For me this was this show biggest strength,horrid undignified deaths and people left to deal with them.Unfortunately show has also parts that are just bizarre or plain stupid.Part of this quality duality was Tomino dissatisfaction with conditions of Bandai taking over Sunrise and depression following that.Episode order was changed because Bandai wanted Gundam in the opening episode,script was rewritten to include machines advertising Bandai newest molding technics.Shortly after finishing Victory Tomino quit Sunrise and wrote off all the rights to the franchise.
I am simply mixed on Victory.There were things I loved and things I hated,both in equal number.
Spoiler:

Lol we did forget about it. And that was in the time of the crazies coming out of nowhere. What a great distraction.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

I really don't like this show. I can understand the argument's in favor of Uso but after Flit Asuno from AGE he is hands down my least favorite gundam protagonist. I found him extremely childish, I know he's only 13 but it still annoyed me a lot, and I hated how he would basically tell other pilots that it was their own fault that Uso was about to kill them. I also didn't care for any other character in the show, besides Shakti, and I don't think I've ever been so happy to see so many different characters die in a show before, especially the ones who tried to sacrifice themselves for the cause because they were just so stupid in how they went about it. I don't like a single mobile suit design and
Spoiler:
as soon as the wings of light started flapping I had no time for them.
I'm glad you guys found some positives in it but this was just an unpleasant grind for me to get through.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/dRwi427.jpg
Spoiler:

Thanks for the seal! We're on a roll!

Being that I got into Gundam so late, I never know what's fact of what happened and what is speculation. So I didn't want to speak as if it was known fact that the transition effected Tomino, but as I said, it definitely shows to be a thing that happened. But honestly I didn't know he completely dropped the rights. That's really insane.

Spoiler:
Hah, I don't know why we forgot to mention the bikini squad. That was definitely one of the more absurd parts of the series. Who would agree to that? lol.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I really don't like this show. I can understand the argument's in favor of Uso but after Flit Asuno from AGE he is hands down my least favorite gundam protagonist. I found him extremely childish, I know he's only 13 but it still annoyed me a lot, and I hated how he would basically tell other pilots that it was their own fault that Uso was about to kill them. I also didn't care for any other character in the show, besides Shakti, and I don't think I've ever been so happy to see so many different characters die in a show before, especially the ones who tried to sacrifice themselves for the cause because they were just so stupid in how they went about it. I don't like a single mobile suit design and
Spoiler:
as soon as the wings of light started flapping I had no time for them.
I'm glad you guys found some positives in it but this was just an unpleasant grind for me to get through.

Haha, very true, I can't defend the "it's your fault!" thing. Granted I remember other pilots doing that (I think Bellri did it too?). Chris and I constantly would go "It's your fault!" just before Uso would finish someone.

The series is definitely a bit polarizing on who likes it or doesn't. However, that seems to be the case for most Gundam series. Hopefully you still enjoyed the cast and that our next one will be a treat for you to listen to! 08th MS Team is up next!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Andrew wrote: Granted I remember other pilots doing that (I think Bellri did it too?). Chris and I constantly would go "It's your fault!" just before Uso would finish someone.

The series is definitely a bit polarizing on who likes it or doesn't. However, that seems to be the case for most Gundam series. Hopefully you still enjoyed the cast and that our next one will be a treat for you to listen to! 08th MS Team is up next!

You mean this guy?Image
And I totally enjoyed the cast, I may not like the series but that only makes me more interested in hearing why other people do like it.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 am

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:
Andrew wrote: Granted I remember other pilots doing that (I think Bellri did it too?). Chris and I constantly would go "It's your fault!" just before Uso would finish someone.

You mean this guy?Image
And I totally enjoyed the cast, I may not like the series but that only makes me more interested in hearing why other people do like it.

Well,it was Kamille Bidan back in Zeta Gundam that first said "it's your fault for attacking me".

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

I watched Victory twice, and I found it a compelling series. Whatever faults mentioned here, I either acutally liked them or they didn't mar my enjoyment. I felt more sympathy for the characters here than for IBO.

And btw, concerning that classic line "It''s your fault for attacking me," Amuro in the first Gundam actually comes close to it at the end episodes by remarking "Why did you have to attack me?" before destroying a Zaku.