300) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

300) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:23 am

It’s time for the final lineup of Winter 2017 Anime Season Titles to review by the Otaku Spirit Animecast. While some didn’t strike a cord, others are gems that could possibly hit top 10 lists for the years to come!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Onihei, Trickster, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid, High School Girls Cycling Club, Urara Meirochou, Hand Shakers, Nyanko Days, and Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 2.

Note: Following the spoiler free reviews for these shows, and following the closing music, we go into a spoiler discussion on a few shows. If you have not watched the below shows, avoid listening within their time stamps.

1:35:44-1:40:08 Onihei
1:40:08-1:55:29 Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 2

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid called “Aozora no Rhapsody” by fhána. The outro music for this episode is the OP2 for Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season called “Fighter” by KANA-BOON. After the spoiler segment, we close with the ED for Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid called “Ishukan Communication” by the cast.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/04/animecas ... ew-part-3/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Re: 300) Winter 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am

Congratulations on the 300 podcasts! That's a great feat, keep it up! :D

Man do I agree with you guys on Kobayashi. That show surprised the heck outta me. I knew it would be cute and fun, but I didn't expect show of the season for me and most likely a contender for top five favorite of the year. So many heartwarming moments, laugh out loud moments all made perfect with absolutely loveable characters and stellar art and animation. Kyoani did a great job bringing this show to life and packing it full of emotion and cuteness. Can't say enough about it.

Plua that tail gag never got old, made me laugh everytime. And Tohrus eyes are gorgeous, I love all the color packed in there, yellow, orange, red, dark red,. Plus Kannas popularity has brought us endless amounts of memes that are hilarious.

Spoiler:

Nyanko Days was very cute too. A nice show to wind down to. But as always awesome job, looking forward to the first impressions whenever those will be plus the Bang Dream review too, if that decides to conclude. That seems to be on a strange schedule, there wasn't an episode this week. They've skipped a week or two before if I remember right.

Edit: Mys corrected me on Bang Dream, i wasnt sure if they skipped a week or two and couldn't confirm myself. My crunchyroll may have acted up and not showed up for me on time or something. One day when Magical Girl Raising Project was airing for awhile it only show the episode length was 2 minutes and only play that. My account has been known to brain fart like that.
Last edited by Crash Kamio on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am

IBO was quite a bit better than other Gundam series i know, but it still has a lot of faults. I agree with quite a few Gundam fans that the world building and politics at times were very weak. And too much exposition, with boring, flat lines. I did like quite a few characters, and some places I felt anger at what happened to them, but I wasn't as engaged as I was with Zeta or Victory Gundam. That leads to the big problem: too many characters!! For one, Hush seemed to have a character arc, but after a little bit, he was just pushed aside, even though they focused quite a bit on him in the beginning. Many of them I didn't care for, or hate either, except of course Iok.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:But as always awesome job, looking forward to the first impressions whenever those will be plus the Bang Dream review too, if that decides to conclude. That seems to be on a strange schedule, there wasn't an episode this week. They've skipped a week or two before if I remember right.

They only skipped one week and there was an episode this week.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Mys145 wrote:
Crash Kamio wrote:But as always awesome job, looking forward to the first impressions whenever those will be plus the Bang Dream review too, if that decides to conclude. That seems to be on a strange schedule, there wasn't an episode this week. They've skipped a week or two before if I remember right.

They only skipped one week and there was an episode this week.

Weird, it didn't show up in my list until recently. I was checking for it on its release day and it didn't show up. My episode list of it didn't even say there was an incoming episode, which it usually warns me it does. Iassumed they skipped another week for some reason. Thanks for letting me know! Guess it was just slow for me this week.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Nice cast guys, I completely agree with you on IBO. It's my second favorite Gundam now. Personally I liked the part that focused on the Earth branch though I agree it was a bit longer than it should have been. In regards to your issues with the ending Andrew

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2:
Spoiler:
I think Rustal was fine with the Tekkadan members surviving so long as everyone thinks they're dead. And who's gonna think they lived after the deinsleifs made a crater out of their base and the White Devil was beheaded? Kudelia had already had her ties to Tekkadan severed by Orga and is too prominent of a political figure to just kill at this point so there isn't much Rustal can do except move on. My biggest issue is that we didn't really see what happened to Almiria after McGillis died. How did she react to Gaelio being the one who killed him? I would have liked to see a bit of that.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2:
Spoiler:
I think Rustal was fine with the Tekkadan members surviving so long as everyone thinks they're dead. And who's gonna think they lived after the deinsleifs made a crater out of their base and the White Devil was beheaded? Kudelia had already had her ties to Tekkadan severed by Orga and is too prominent of a political figure to just kill at this point so there isn't much Rustal can do except move on. My biggest issue is that we didn't really see what happened to Almiria after McGillis died. How did she react to Gaelio being the one who killed him? I would have liked to see a bit of that.

Spoiler:
That's where I disagree. How did Rustal undergo this 180 degree change? It came out of nowhere. I didn't see why Rustal had to be lenient with the remaining Tekkadan members. He's basically had it made, after crushing the Tekkadan base, and killing off Akihiro and Mikazuki. I don't mind Rustal winning, but the world building leading to Rustal making Gjallarhorn more democratic without any real explanation was very weak. I didn't buy it. I must admit I did like IBO a bit, but it did feel a bit flat in Season 2, particularly the last episodes, starting with the aftermath of the big space battle.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 am

I did watched Trickster all the way through as well and really wish that Inoue and Hanasaki should have kiss and made up way sooner than they did. Their emo arguing was tiring to get through.

I thought Hand Shakers was an okay show. It wasn't a show worth recommending to anyone.

They were called Human Debris not Space Debris in IBO.

DestroyerGX wrote:Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2:
Spoiler:
That's where I disagree. How did Rustal undergo this 180 degree change? It came out of nowhere. I didn't see why Rustal had to be lenient with the remaining Tekkadan members. He's basically had it made, after crushing the Tekkadan base, and killing off Akihiro and Mikazuki. I don't mind Rustal winning, but the world building leading to Rustal making Gjallarhorn more democratic without any real explanation was very weak. I didn't buy it. I must admit I did like IBO a bit, but it did feel a bit flat in Season 2, particularly the last episodes, starting with the aftermath of the big space battle.

Spoiler:
Rustal is a politician through and through. He would been seen as a crazed man going after the mere remnants of a crushed organization. Tekkadan had no power left. Their will and spirit was crushed when Orga and Mika died. Also I think he wanted change in Gjallarhorn as well and successfully used McGillis and Tekkadan to achieve his goals. Maybe they could have mention if Rustal wanted this change clearly but I think it's fine that it's implied that he may have wanted the same thing as McGillis but without relying on the symbol of Bael.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:18 am

Mys145 wrote:Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2:
Spoiler:
Rustal is a politician through and through. He would been seen as a crazed man going after the mere remnants of a crushed organization. Tekkadan had no power left. Their will and spirit was crushed when Orga and Mika died. Also I think he wanted change in Gjallarhorn as well and successfully used McGillis and Tekkadan to achieve his goals. Maybe they could have mention if Rustal wanted this change clearly but I think it's fine that it's implied that he may have wanted the same thing as McGillis but without relying on the symbol of Bael.

Spoiler:
We don't see any of Rustal's motivations at all in the last episodes; this is mere speculation, since after all he said he was going to make an example of Tekkadan. And anyways Rustal wouldn't need to use the whole Gjallarhorn; he always was subtle and cunning like with the Earth business with Galan. I still don't see what would make Rustal turn suddenly into implementing McGillis' goals. As I said, this wasn't explained at all. In Gundam, the politics of the world a lot of times was shown clearly (except for the subpar ones, like Gundam Wing); IBO failed here in the last episodes. For the most part before, though, it was very good, despite the uninspired and insipid exposition. In the end, this sudden 180 degree turn doesn't make sense at all without more and clearer explanation.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 am

I'm just as much at fault for this, but remember to use titles over spoiler tags.

Crash Kamio wrote: ::peace::

Hah, I avoid saying it most the time as it makes certain people angry, but KyoAni proves that adaptations can transcend source material. Though that may be mostly because I favor the character design changes a LOT. But I'm on the same boat for the tail joke. It didn't get old, but I think that's thanks to them doing a lot with those characters.

Thanks for the celebratory wishes. I hope for another successful 300!

DestroyerGX wrote: ::peace::

Too many characters is really a fault I see with most all the 50 episode Gundam series. Everytime I do an outline for a Gundam review, it's sifting through some 200 characters to find the more impactful ones to put in the outline. Not so much a bad thing, but more that I always see lost potential in a lot of them. However, unlike most of those series, I felt IBO at least had them not defined by a single action or character trait. That's not to say everyone, just a great deal.

I agree though that Hush was an interesting case, wish how much focus he got. But I think he served a purpose.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote: ::peace::

DestroyerGX wrote: ::peace::

Spoiler:
I guess that's my problem, and I think DestroyerGX hits it on the head. It's left to "I think he" comments that leaves a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the element of interpretation, but a jarring transition like that still left a bad taste.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694