317) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

317) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm

It’s time for the second batch of Spring 2017 Anime Season Reviews! Join the hosts as they dive into cute sisters, creative blocks, butt-kicking girls, foolish blood, Momo obessessions, and so much more!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Grimoire of Zero, WorldEnd, Anonymous Noise, Saekano How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend Flat, Eromanga Sensei, Kenka Bancho Otome Girl Beats Boys, The Eccentric Family 2, and Berserk 2017.

Note: Following the spoiler free reviews for these shows, and following the closing music, we go into a spoiler discussion on a few shows. If you have not watched the below shows, avoid listening within their time stamps.

1:20:03-1:23:28 WorldEnd
1:23:28-1:29:04 Grimoire of Zero
1:29:04-1:33:25 Saekano 2

The intro music for this episode is the OP for The Eccentric Family 2 called “Nasugamama, Sawagumama” by milktub. The outro music for this episode is the OP for Anonymous Noise called “High School [ANIME SIDE] -Alternative-” by Nino Arisugawa (Saori Hayami). After the spoiler segment, we close with the ED for Grimoire of Zero called “Hajimari no Shirushi” by Chima.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/07/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Re: 317) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Crash Kamio » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:45 am

Got to this podcast late this week. I only fully watched Worldend in this cast but it was cool hearing how Berserk and Eromanga turned out. I don't know why but I just couldn't handle Berserk any more. I was having trouble following it, iy felt rushed, and I guess disjointed would be the best word. I'm happy you're enjoying it though Andrew! I guess I just have more investment in the manga. Maybe once I'm caught up with Berserk I'll rewatch it but ehh i dunno. Loved the 2016 season but this one didn't do it for me unfortunately.

However I'm so glad I picked up Worldend, but yeah the ending left a lot to be desired, I agree.

Episode 12, Worldend spoiler
Spoiler:
Especially not getting any of Willems reactions to Chtolly dying. That was a bit odd, I didn't think of that until you guys said it. Probably because I was fighting some tears after Chtollys death. Man do I love her, I got wicked attached to her. Not sure how to take that ending, could have been rebirth, or a flashback. I originally took it as rebirth but now im not sure. Hopefully the novel comes over, I'd love more.

But when all is said and done, I enjoyed the show and thought it chapter ended very nicely for the most part. Definetly a stand out for me this season.

Also bit of a random question, I wanted to watch Anonymous Noise but couldn't cause I think it was on amazon. I almost picked up the manga a week or so ago, you think it'd be worth it to pick up in manga form, or did you guys not think it was worth recommending? You guys seemed a bit mixed on it, not sure if you guys would recommend it though, so I wanted to ask.

As usual enjoyed the reviews, looking forward to the third part. Hope you guys had a good holiday last weekend!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:Got to this podcast late this week. I only fully watched Worldend in this cast but it was cool hearing how Berserk and Eromanga turned out. I don't know why but I just couldn't handle Berserk any more. I was having trouble following it, iy felt rushed, and I guess disjointed would be the best word. I'm happy you're enjoying it though Andrew! I guess I just have more investment in the manga. Maybe once I'm caught up with Berserk I'll rewatch it but ehh i dunno. Loved the 2016 season but this one didn't do it for me unfortunately.

However I'm so glad I picked up Worldend, but yeah the ending left a lot to be desired, I agree.

Spoiler:
Especially not getting any of Willems reactions to Chtolly dying. That was a bit odd, I didn't think of that until you guys said it. Probably because I was fighting some tears after Chtollys death. Man do I love her, I got wicked attached to her. Not sure how to take that ending, could have been rebirth, or a flashback. I originally took it as rebirth but now im not sure. Hopefully the novel comes over, I'd love more.

But when all is said and done, I enjoyed the show and thought it chapter ended very nicely for the most part. Definetly a stand out for me this season.

Also bit of a random question, I wanted to watch Anonymous Noise but couldn't cause I think it was on amazon. I almost picked up the manga a week or so ago, you think it'd be worth it to pick up in manga form, or did you guys not think it was worth recommending? You guys seemed a bit mixed on it, not sure if you guys would recommend it though, so I wanted to ask.

As usual enjoyed the reviews, looking forward to the third part. Hope you guys had a good holiday last weekend!

Generally for the music I would go anime. But either way it did feel like a soft chapter end. Not much was resolved outside of a decent event. I personally would watch then read the manga.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:
Spoiler:

WorldEnd:

Spoiler:
The bit at the end with Chtholly was actually her original birth, not a reincarnation or anything like that. I was told that they explain that in the manga and that it makes way more sense haha

As for Chtholly dying, I don't think she's dead personally. Same with Willem and Ren. Two things make me say this:

First, we don't see any of them die and I'm of the mindset that if I don't actually see them die on camera,
then they aren't dead.

Secondly, the scene at the very end with the white-bearded mage dude where he's looking at that pool.
He says that he can't sense Willem, but the twinkles in the water after he walks away screams of survival to me :D

Just a couple thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it!

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 am

Chris wrote:Generally for the music I would go anime. But either way it did feel like a soft chapter end. Not much was resolved outside of a decent event. I personally would watch then read the manga.

Alright cool, good to know. I imagine the music helps out the show a bit, being it's music related so that makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts on that!

Logan wrote:WorldEnd:

Spoiler:
The bit at the end with Chtholly was actually her original birth, not a reincarnation or anything like that. I was told that they explain that in the manga and that it makes way more sense haha

As for Chtholly dying, I don't think she's dead personally. Same with Willem and Ren. Two things make me say this:

First, we don't see any of them die and I'm of the mindset that if I don't actually see them die on camera,
then they aren't dead.

Secondly, the scene at the very end with the white-bearded mage dude where he's looking at that pool.
He says that he can't sense Willem, but the twinkles in the water after he walks away screams of survival to me :D

Just a couple thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it!

Worldend
Spoiler:
Thanks for the clarification on Chtollys birth scene. That was a difficult one to grasp at first. And that's a solid point about her being alive. I'd be curious as to how she survived that and came away from it, cause she went berserk at the end. but you're right they never showed her dying. So that's always a possibility! Something to think about for sure. I did catch the hint of Willem being alive in that pool scene. That made me happy. :D

I guess what stamped Chtolly and Ren being dead to me was their picture being hung up in the ship. It screamed memorial to me. But I'd hope they're alive, they're fantastic characters who I grew to adore.

I like your take on the ending, it's giving me some stuff to think about. Man this makes me want to read the original source very badly. So many possibilities and not enough answers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :3

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:11 am

Crash Kamio wrote:I like your take on the ending, it's giving me some stuff to think about. Man this makes me want to read the original source very badly. So many possibilities and not enough answers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :3

No problem! I could be completely wrong, but I like to have hope! :D

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 am

Crash Kamio wrote: ::peace::

No biggy at all about Berserk. I don't blame anyone for backing away from it. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that will disagree with sticking with the manga. One of these days I'll be cracking open them (still sealed on shelf!). I'll probably, no doubt, do a podcast on the manga once I start trucking through it.

WorldEnd Ending Spoilers:
Spoiler:
I didn't want to get too personal on it during the cast, but Ctholly also resonated with me. More so due to some current happenings with a family member. Which may have effected my attachment to the show, but no doubt is proof of its impact in the end. There's nothing worst than someone you care about losing themself.

I forget if I mentioned on the cast, but in case I forgot, most responses I seen online about the ending said the novel is pretty clear it was a flashback. But I agree that I'd like to see the LN hit.

I agree with Chris on Anonymous Noise. Definitely hit the anime for the music. Then if you enjoy it, hit up the manga starting from the beginning again. It'll enhance the experience IMO. But that's my experience. I often connect the seiyu roles with the source material when I go read it.

Thanks for the good wishes. Our cast was delayed due to a visit from our brother from across the states. So we had a blast!

Logan wrote:
::happy::

WorldEnd Ending:
Spoiler:
I think the two ripples were Ren and Willem. However it's true that nothing says Ctholly is dead. Elq only said she'd lose everything, not that her body would die. So in a sense, yeah I guess technically Ctholly is gone by the rules set forth by Elq, but her body remains Elq's. That's what I gathered from it anyhow.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am

Andrew wrote:
Logan wrote:
::happy::

WorldEnd Ending:
Spoiler:
I think the two ripples were Ren and Willem. However it's true that nothing says Ctholly is dead. Elq only said she'd lose everything, not that her body would die. So in a sense, yeah I guess technically Ctholly is gone by the rules set forth by Elq, but her body remains Elq's. That's what I gathered from it anyhow.

Spoiler:
Good points for sure. Chtholly has done the impossible before though, so the hoper and dreamer in me hopes and dreams that she pulled off another miracle :) A hybrid personality could be another option as well! I need a season 2 to know!!!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Logan wrote:
Spoiler:
Good points for sure. Chtholly has done the impossible before though, so the hoper and dreamer in me hopes and dreams that she pulled off another miracle :) A hybrid personality could be another option as well! I need a season 2 to know!!!

World End Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Of course. Also, against my own point about Elq laying down what she deemed as an absolute, technically a few episodes before then, Ithea (my personal best girl) revealed the truth about herself to Ctholly in order to show her that there are no absolutes.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Andrew wrote:No biggy at all about Berserk. I don't blame anyone for backing away from it. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that will disagree with sticking with the manga. One of these days I'll be cracking open them (still sealed on shelf!). I'll probably, no doubt, do a podcast on the manga once I start trucking through it.

WorldEnd Ending Spoilers:
Spoiler:
I didn't want to get too personal on it during the cast, but Ctholly also resonated with me. More so due to some current happenings with a family member. Which may have effected my attachment to the show, but no doubt is proof of its impact in the end. There's nothing worst than someone you care about losing themself.

I forget if I mentioned on the cast, but in case I forgot, most responses I seen online about the ending said the novel is pretty clear it was a flashback. But I agree that I'd like to see the LN hit.

I agree with Chris on Anonymous Noise. Definitely hit the anime for the music. Then if you enjoy it, hit up the manga starting from the beginning again. It'll enhance the experience IMO. But that's my experience. I often connect the seiyu roles with the source material when I go read it.

Thanks for the good wishes. Our cast was delayed due to a visit from our brother from across the states. So we had a blast!

Berserk started off strong and it just kinda lost me half way through the season. It's a hard story to animate, then the details of the story in the manga itself are pretty big as well, cramming that all into 12 episodes per season is rough, suppose I just felt it this season. I still stand by 2016 though, that season was fantastic,.maybe once it goes to dvd I'll get 2017. Read an interesting article on ANN about the troubles they've had making it, it's an interesting read and my eyes a bit. If you're interested, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature ... rk/.117834

Ohh a Berserk podcast, I'd be all over that. I think you'll enjoy it when ever you can get to it. The art is nuts, the story is incredible, and even if you've seen parts that have been animated it's usually pretty fresh to read. I'm just about finished with the Golden Age arc and there was unfamiliar stuff sprinkled in there that made it a bit more interesting to read.

Worldend Spoilers
Spoiler:
Just wanna say hope everything's alright with the family. And getting attached to a show because of personal things is totally understandable and a good reason to like a show. Im with you there on a level as well. I'm sure we all have those anime that hit us on a personal level, and even charecters. I sure do, but I don't think it discredits the show either. Just a added thing to the show that made it more personal, and enjoyable for you. Kinda off topic of Worldend spoilers.

But yes since you and Logan have said, that moment with Chtolly after her death was a flashback it makes more sense and glad to have approval of it with the novel as reference.

I'll hit the Anonymous Noise anime first then, that seems like a good way to go about it, since you and Chris put it that way. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Glad to hear you had a good holiday, I'm sure it was nice seeing your brother! That's always good to see family you normally don't see often.