Animecast Question Thread

Talk about the Podcast!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Animecast Question Thread

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:56 am

Do you guys ever part with pieces of your anime(-related) collections? For what reasons? And what do you do with them?

For instance, I semi-recently bought the combined Blu-ray boxes for ef - A Tale of Memories & Melodies as well as Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! (both seasons in one box). I already owned each of these 4 seasons on DVD, but now I technically don't have any more need for them. And since I'm more of a pragmatic than nostalgic person, I decided I'd... well, get rid of them one way or another. So far, they're still in the back of my cupboard. I'm contemplating whether I'll be able to sell them - probably not, given they're English-language US imports which don't work on European DVD players ;).

I reckon things become even more tricky when talking about figures, which take up a lot more space than disc cases. Not that I'd know too much about that since I don't collect them, myself.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am

I know what I like and I know what I don't like at this point in my life so I often find myself significantly reducing the seasonal list at the beginning of each season. It's not like I have the will or the time to watch 15+ new shows in a season. In order to do that, I'm a bit quick to pre-judge anime in terms of what I will and won't watch. If I hear enough positives that intrigue me down the road, of course I'll give a show another look.

So, when you look at a site like anichart in preparation for the next season, do you have any "red flags" that make you say "NOPE! NEXT!" and move on?

It can be genres, plot points, art style, staff, etc.

Keep up the great work! ::peace::
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 am

I've just received the latest shipping order. Please prepare as per the usual routine.

Chobits and Kill la Kill
Your Lie in April and Fate/Stay Night (original or Unlimted Bladeworks)
Little Busters! and Deadman Wonderland (or Sword Art Online)
A Silent Voice and My Love Story

Lulink
I Like Anime

Postby Lulink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 am

I don't know how but I always come up with really weird questions while listening to your news episodes...
Most of the time I don't judge them post-worthy, but I might have a fun (although complex) question/dilemma:

Imagine a parallel world where anime (and to an extent, related art forms, like manga) don't come from Japan (or China or Korea) but from another country. What country or culture would rather see it emerging from?
(Oh no, this sounds even stupider and more offensive than in my head... ::dread:: )

And now for an easier question, how much time on average do you think you cut from a recording session to turn it into an episode? Honestly I'm not even sure if you do take breaks at all while recording, which shows how professional you are either way.

Have you ever considered making a making-of episode where you film yourselves as well? I guess the drawbacks would be Chris's face revealed, our expectations shattered (maybe?) and a huge upload time (unless it's a shorter episode), but I'm a little curious. I'm totally ok with you not being interested in it, if that's the case.

As always I hope these questions haven't been answered before, and thank you for all your hard work making my Mondays. (Friday episodes when? Kappa)
One day I discovered that 2 of my friends got into anime. This was the last day before the rest of my life.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 am

Thinking about Saiki K, the fact it didn't got licensed and my ever growing urge to see it no matter what, i was wondering:

Is there a show or manga that never got lincenced or translated that you guys would really want to see happening? I am not talking about pending or just aired show, but samething that came a long time ago and still doesn't happen on this side of the ocean.
For me as an exemple,, that would be B gata H kei that never got a translated manga release.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Star-K
Anime Junky

Postby Star-K » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello, Long time no questioning and I wanted to know you guys thoughts on something.
What are your thoughts on American Live Action Anime Adaptations?

Do you guys prefer changes like Death Note Netflix or something more like the recent FMA Live Action?

My thoughts on the subject
Spoiler:
For me I prefer the Death Note Netflix one because, I’ve seen the anime, I’ve read some of the Manga, and I seen some of the Japanese Live Action Adaptations, and they all mostly play out the same way, with the changes that the Netflix one made it was more refreshing to see something completely different then the others, also I feel more comfortable getting my family members to watch it because of how Westernized it is and not having them be turned off by the cultural differences.

Also what are your thoughts on the new SAO Netflix adaptation?

Do you think the decision to have a japanese cast was because of the back lash of Ghost in a Shell and Death Note?

I wish it would have gotten the same treatment as Death Note Netflix, but do you guys think?
And
Do you guys want to see more Westernized Anime Adaptations?
But I don’t want another DBZ E, now that was the wrong way of doing a westernized adaptation.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer the questions, and have a fun rest of the day.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 am

Hi guys, here are a few questions for you. Sorry if my questions have already been asked..

What are your thoughts on visual censorship in anime? (Like Barcode censors, overly-convenient ''shafts of light", mosaic censorship etc...) Do you think it's there to stop young people from being offended, or do you find it bothersome? I prefer uncensored anime since censorship annoys me personally, but I can understand it if it stops younger anime watchers from being offended by certain content.

Recap episodes, are they useful to remember the story in case you have forgotten or do you think the creators need more time to plan new episodes?

Here is a slightly personal question I hope you can help me with; a lot of anime in the past have been spoiled and I no longer wish to watch these anime. But my question is how do you watch an anime that has been spoiled?
Do you continue watching the anime and focus on the story development to understand how that spoiler occurred? Or do you drop the anime and watch it later on?

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 pm

What is the amount of time needed for a spoiler not to be a spoiler anymore? I understand that if you never saw the original dragonball, getting told that master roshi defeats goku in the first tournement is a spoiler, but after so many years, it's on you!
So how long before you are the source of the problem if you get spoiled?
Last edited by fragoff on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Where have all the tentacles of the 90's go (went???)?
1st edit: Had to change my question since it was already asked and answered
2nd edit: where does this stand in your 'i fear fragoff's questions-o-meter?
::peace::
Last edited by fragoff on Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:10 am

What kinds of sports do you guys do and/or watch, if any (I believe I remember Chris did martial arts at some point)? Does this influence your enjoyment of sports animes?

Personally, I've been playing volleyball for a bit over 6 years now, and I'm pretty interested to see how Haikyu handles it when I eventually get around to watching that show.