318) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

318) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Following its airing as a 4 episode ONA, Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt finds its way onto Blu-ray in a full length movie December Sky. Join the hosts of the Animecast as they review this release and give their thoughts on the story it tells.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky Blu-ray was provided to us for review by Right Stuf and Sunrise.

The opening for this episode is from the OST for Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky called “Sento-haichi Yo.” The closing for this episode is also from the OST called “The Dreaming Girl in Me” by Sakamoto Yoshie.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/07/animecas ... ember-sky/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 318) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

I love Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt,I think no one had any doubts about it.Mature down to earth and authentic narrative paired up with stellar animation and amazing directing(that is actually a suprise,because only other work of this director was Valvrave the Penetrator...I mean Liberator).

Thunderbolt does not mess around.It's perfectly honest with its audience,if you go to war you will return either dead,crippled or on the brink of madness.What is most impressive is that the show mastered the art of "show don't tell",so this strong anti-war statement doesn't feel preachy or infantile,giving strong sense of respect for viewer intellect.

Now few words about imported Collector's Edition that I paid around 120 USD to get.It was worth every penny I paid for it.It had exactly what I expect from premium edition,no notebooks or pencils,only stuff that help peek behind the scenes of creative process.
It has 4(yes 4)storyboard books,each for an ONA episode and each around 200 pages,animation book that basically breaks down the process into smallest pieces with pedantic precision,showcasing douga,genga showing how beams were animated or how backgrounds were integrated and on top of that we recive behind the scenes movie(sadly it lacks English subs) on a Blu-Ray...yes disc with extras is also a Blu-Ray.
And it has a dub...Japanese release with English dub on a disc,more companies should do that.
If you can get it for price close to retail one,just go for it.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 318) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:*seal*

Thanks for the seal of approval! Crazy about the director. I seem to remember stumbling into that the last time I made the outline but forgot since then.

You're right on the nose about its ability to tell the story without lengthy dialog. Like showing Daryl's want to be whole again, where he came from, how he lost his limbs. It's all shown during training/testing and none of it is just randomly blurted out to someone in awkward dialog.

Did you get the 4k BR? I'm still eyeballing it lol.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694