319) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

319) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Andrew » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:31 am

Finalizing the Spring 2017 Anime Season, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are back for the remaining batch of shows for review. Tackling pretty much every genre including some fantasy, slice of life, romance, sci-fi, and creepy shoujo boys.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: KADO The Right Answer, Alice and Zoroku, Tsugumomo, Granblue Fantasy The Animation, Tsukigakirei, Danmachi Sword Oratoria, and Room Mate.

Note: Following the spoiler free reviews for these shows, and following the closing music, we go into a spoiler discussion on a few shows. If you have not watched the below shows, avoid listening within their time stamps.

1:26:14-1:42:53 Kado The Right Answer

The opening music for this episode is the OP for KADO called “Tabiji” by Mao Ichimichi. The closing music for this episode is the ED for Granblue Fantasy called “Sora no Parade” by HARUHI. After the spoiler segment, we close with the ED for KADO called “Eien no Kotae” by HARUCA.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/07/animecas ... ew-part-3/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 319) Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 am

Kado The Right Answer

Spoiler:
Andrew, I just want to clarify something. Both Shindo and Saraka had to be in the Nanomis-hein when they conceive the kid. There was no way that they waited nine months to have the kid and then use Nanomis-hein to speed up time. zaShunina was already begun his plan to convert humanity into the anisotropic so waiting for the child to be born in normal time is not a smart thing to do. That's how I interpret what you said.

I know various people don't like the miracle kid because they felt it was an easy way out but I didn't mind it.
I would be angry about if they managed to resurrect Shindo from the dead but they didn't. I also did like the ending where humanity wants to achieve its potential on its own without the gifts of the anisotropic.

I was wondering if you're going to cover Atom The Beginning since it has ended now. I still feel it could have been a show without using the Atom property at all. But luckily there will be an anime that's closer to Atom with Pluto at some point.

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:47 am

Even more praise for Tsuki ga Kirei! Guess I'm gonna have to get back to that one. I dropped it originally, because I wasn't in the mood for a slow-moving childhood romance, but i've heard so many good things now that it's back on my plan-to-watch.

I liked what I watched of Kado (eps 0 and 1), but the reception of it has been so mixed that I'm afraid to put it on my PTW. But you gave it really, really high praise, so i'm kinda conflicted.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 am

I'm so happy Tsuki ga Kirei turned out as great as it did. I'm a fan of romance of any type, with or without comedy. But nothing makes me happier than to see a romance show like Tsuki. It's grounded, realistic, heartfelt, no will they won't they, no needless comedy ruining beautiful moments and the ending was beautiful. Yeah it took its time getting to the end with a conflict but thats part of the reason I love it. I got sucked into the atmosphere of the show and all the cute moments, making the slower pace more than worth it. I got attached so much to Akane and Kotarou too, they're great charecters. Love it when romance is done right. :3 We need more shows like this.

Hope Sakura Quest picks up for you Andrew, it has been a bit slow here and there. It took a few episodes but I'm all in now. I think they've been hitting a stride recently, if they keep it up it'll definetly be a contender for show of the Summer season.

Nice set of reviews, enjoyed it as always guys. ::peace::

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 am

Crash Kamio wrote:IHope Sakura Quest picks up for you Andrew, it has been a bit slow here and there. It took a few episodes but I'm all in now. I think they've been hitting a stride recently, if they keep it up it'll definetly be a contender for show of the Summer season.

Good to hear something positive about Sakura Quest. I'm super surprised by the middling reception it has been receiving. I loved what I watched of the first ep, but I haven't gone back to it. Now i'm wondering if I even should. I'm gonna wait and see what people think when it's over.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 pm

thegenkiguy wrote:
Crash Kamio wrote:IHope Sakura Quest picks up for you Andrew, it has been a bit slow here and there. It took a few episodes but I'm all in now. I think they've been hitting a stride recently, if they keep it up it'll definetly be a contender for show of the Summer season.

Good to hear something positive about Sakura Quest. I'm super surprised by the middling reception it has been receiving. I loved what I watched of the first ep, but I haven't gone back to it. Now i'm wondering if I even should. I'm gonna wait and see what people think when it's over.

I'm a sucker for slice of life shows like Sakura Quest, fun charecters having a good time helping out a town while they grow as charecters and friends. It's simple but I like it. While the start of it was a bit slow, after about 3 episodes or so it started getting good and for me it's been nothing but uphill. I think they can have a good little message if they pull it off right.

As for recommending it, I'd say if you like slow burn slice of life go for it! I think they're doing something good with a fair amount of heart. and if you liked the first episode you'd most likely find the rest enjoyable at the very least. :D But your call of course, just my two cents worth.

MyBalls
I Love Anime

Postby MyBalls » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 am

Kado The Right Answer

Was really happy to hear you both liked it to.

I was getting the vibes of the 80´s, 90´s Sci-Fi from it, like "what would happen if...?"-feeling, where your brain goes nuts.
... btw... Saraka is MY waifu! ::peace::

Tsuki ga Kirei

I often catched myself giggling in the corner, while watching it. The confession episode was like a YAAAY! expreince for me... like "look grow a pair of balls?!".

Since the CGI-Podcast im not bothered with CG in anime... im just looking, how they could do it better. For example, the "not rendered" crowds make me feel uncomfortable. They need to change this "saving-method"

Really loved this hearthwarming show and hope we get more series like this.
::happy::

ATM-senpai
I Love Anime

Postby ATM-senpai » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:46 am

KADO:

Spoiler:
I was all in until the reveal of Saraka Tsukai. I loved Saraka, but was it necessary for her to be of the Anisotorons? It felt too convenient for the story being told. Then it went into a good vs evil thing that felt a little forced as well. Combining that, and I personally didn't want to see the show go into said good and evil plot. It kind of sullied the experience for me. I did, however, enjoy the temporal isolation twist at the very end. It was a very clever way to use what zaShunina used against Shindo in an earlier episode.

Ultimately, I won't be able to see KADO without recalling that let down in the final episodes. It's my own fault, but KADO did an amazing job at presenting moral choices and extremely deep concepts in an amazing atmosphere that I didn't want it to boil down to an evil zaShunina. I was fine with his goals being in the same nature of expedited human ascension, but more of his gift to humanity instead of a more selfish ploy. I kind of wanted the end of the show to be a final negotiation with Shindo and zaShunina about humanity not being ready for such a drastic jump in their evolution as a species. I'm still finishing up some series from last season and starting the Summer season, but if I have time, I'll do a more formal "short review" for the show in the series section to explain my thoughts a little more.

I still really enjoyed the series, but I just wanted more....

Danmachi Sword Oratoria

Spoiler:
I look at Sword Oratoria as an appetizer or a desert to a meal. I never looked at it as a 2nd season,
but just a side story that fills in some blanks. I think it didn't bring the OG series down, nor did it raise it's value in terms of what an official second season would have. With that said, I enjoyed OG DanMachi more than Sword Oratoria. To be honest, Lefiya was the biggest hurdle for me to really liking the series more. She was SO one note that every scene she was in became a little bit of a core to watch. I did, however, really like the character insight of Ais. It didn't go as far as I would have liked it to go, but her character was night and day from the OG DanMachi.

You were right about Bell's final minotaur fight impacting Loki's group being outstanding. It made a great moment in the original series even better. One of my favorite moments in this season.

ATM-senpai
I Love Anime

Postby ATM-senpai » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am

thegenkiguy wrote:Even more praise for Tsuki ga Kirei! Guess I'm gonna have to get back to that one. I dropped it originally, because I wasn't in the mood for a slow-moving childhood romance, but i've heard so many good things now that it's back on my plan-to-watch.

I highly suggest you do. Like they said in the Podcast, it's one of the most natural romances I've watch in any medium of storytelling. It has a couple bad bits, but I really loved it. I even have it 3rd in my top 100. Hopefully, you like it when you get around to it. ::peace::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Mys145 wrote: ::hi::

KADO:
Spoiler:
Not sure where I said they waited 9 months in the normal world to birth the child. But yeah, that's kind of assumed. My point was that Shindo and Saraka didn't stay in there for 16 years. Only their partner did. Signaled by the fact that he aged 16 years.

Yeah, Atom sort of fell through the cracks. It just didn't grab me by the first impression point so it unfortunately fell to the "We need to cut a few to allow breathing room". Hope you enjoyed it at least?

Thanks for listening and the feedback as always Mys!

thegenkiguy wrote: ::peace::

I'd say wait until you're in the mood for it. The package is just exactly what you get, so if you're mood changes, I'd say hit it up at that point. Just make a note about it!

I can't recall, but does my taste normally fit with yours in sci-fi and serious tone shows? It's also, similar to Tsuki ga Kirei, a slow moving show. But for me, that works in its favor for suspense and intrigue. But it's definitely no surprise for me that it's a mixed opinion show. You're either going to let your mind get lost in it (like me), or not.

Either way, that's our job! Give you more and more stuff for your PTW ::peace::

Crash Kamio wrote: ::peace::

I honestly struggle a lot with comedy in romance for the reason you said. Comedy often ruins impactful moments. It's EXACTLY why I struggled with Your Lie in April so much. Where as shows like Golden Time handled comedy really well (at times) by making it feel like natural comedy (or "oops" moments).

I'm definitely expecting Sakura Quest to start ramping up. 2nd cour start was pretty good, but I was expecting the first cour to have a steady start because that was my same experience with Shirobako.

Thanks for listening as always, glad you enjoyed!

thegenkiguy wrote: ::hi::

First episode was absolutely fantastic. And it has moments here and here like that. It's in NO WAY and bad show, or a "so-so" show. Just hasn't hit any epic highs yet. (In case my few sentences mislead). But like I stated above, Shirobako was their other "Girls at Work" title and it had a similar slow start to an epic second half. So I'm excited to see where it leads. (Note: Hanasaku Iroha is their third "At work" title, but it's more younger characters coming of age)

PAWorks is doing something that is really unseen in anime. Making stories about normal working characters. Which (tbh) is boring. But they aren't dumb either and I know there will be something fantastic around the corner for it. Shirobako had you slowly meet characters in a stressful environment before cheering for them to succeed. I think we'll have a similar thing here, but instead of a stressful work environment, we get grumpy old people that don't want change (haha).

MyBalls wrote: ::happy::

KADO: Are you at least with me on Chris not having her? Pfft, he didn't want anything to do with her until the very end... But totally agree on mind running wild. LOVE IT!

Tsuki ga Kirei: Haha, we always got a kick out of him boxing the light switch. Like whenever something happened we'd yell "Go punch the chain, go punch it!" Show just bleed that sibling/parent feeling in you to want to cheer them on.

CGI: Haha, glad we helped in some way? But it was nice, even for us, to really sit down and examine it.

ATM-senpai wrote: ::peace::

KADO:
Spoiler:
I don't really think you're alone in that feeling. Like I said, I was unsure at the point of Saraka's reveal and the "God people" direction. But, similar to how you put it, it CAN be boiled down to good versus evil, or rather seen for the sum of its many parts. It's zaShunina technically experiencing the same acceptance of human emotion and special nature of human life that Saraka did, it's humans choosing their own steps forward without foreign entities pushing them drastically forward, outsmarting (and surprising) something of god-like status, using the tools given to create that surprise, etc. Though, it's how much each part hits you as to if it's enough that's the question.

Sword Oratoria:
Haha, many we are so on the same page in so many ways. Aside from the perspective of Sword Oratoria as a side dish. Interesting way of viewing it. But make sense.

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Some great things to think on.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694