320) Swim Swim is the Worst Magical Girl

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

320) Swim Swim is the Worst Magical Girl

Postby Andrew » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 am

A slew of news hits our timelines and thus it’s time for yet another Otaku Spirit Animecast Discussional Episode. Join the hosts in getting an update on the anime you love!

Topics this episode: Grisaia Phantom Trigger Anime, Fate Grand Order Manga, Fate/Apocrypha US Stream, A Silent Voice Screenings, Funimation Simuldub, Sentai Filmworks Dubs, Rightstuf announcements, Yuki Yuna Season 2 stream, Little Witch Academia localization, Owarimonogatari 2 airing news, Junji Ito adaptation, School-Live Haitus, Gainax lawsuit, CGI Training Program, Licenses, State of the Stream Update, Fate/Grand Order gaming, and much more!

Fate/Grand Order discussion runs from 56:00 to 1:07:20. If you’re not interested in the topic, please skip accordingly!

Thanks to BlueSpark, WhiskeyJack19, and Ledah013 for the great questions featured in this episode!

The intro music for this episode is the ED for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress called “ninelie” by Aimer with chelly. The outro is the ED for Space Patrol Luluco called “Pipo Password” by Teddyloid ft. Bonjour Suzuki.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/07/animecas ... ical-girl/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Weisschen
I Like Anime

Re: 320) Swim Swim is the Worst Magical Girl

Postby Weisschen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 am

This episode got a lot more interesting for me than I first thought. I always forget that the title of your podcasts is rarely the main talking point and there is always at least something you talk about that I have knowledge of or am interest in.

As someone who does not live in a country with strong crunchyroll or netflix support (and I myself don't use it either) it's always interesting to hear what they are doing and planning for the future. Simply by virtue of how important I know crunchyroll is especially for the USA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, I am quite sad that you too do not like Shirou, especially since your reasoning for it is rather...weak and misinformed.

I don't really want to start a discussion about this but I at least need to mention that how Shirou supposedly does not realize his hypocrisies, and how he acts over the top in his pursue of becoming a hero of justice, is de facto incorrect.

In fact the whole UBW route which conveniently was also the last major anime adaptation we got of F/SN is exactly about that. Him realizing and understanding it.

And I seem to remember that you both watched that one? Not sure.

Him not wanting Saber to fight is something that only really occures in the Fate route and the 2006 DEEN F/SN anime though...so maybe I remembered it wrong and you did not watch UBW after all. However, even in the case of the Fate route there is enough reasoning for why Shirou acts the way he does and it should be easily understandable even by just having watched UBW.

But oh well. Shirou seems to be the type of character that people dislike not because they are not able to understand him but simply because they do not want to.

I honestly do not know whether or not I am supposed to feel better about that or worse. I mean not liking him is totally okay. Hell, you can even hate him if you want. I just always wish people would have either personal reasons for doing so or criticism that can't be refuted as easily.

---------------------------------------------------

I pulled a 5* Arturia Saber though so this shall be my revenge against you. ::happy::
Last edited by Weisschen on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

Weisschen wrote: ::peace::

Keep in mind, the question was "why do people hate Shirou", not "why do you hate Shirou". Saying we are misinformed when all we're doing is saying what people complain about is silly. I really don't have a problem with him like others do, I'm just not going to defend him. And yes, I have watched all available adaptations.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 am

Eleven Arts is just a theater distribution company. They don't deal with physical releases. They usually do movies that Viz has such as Naruto and saw that Viz Europe has A Silent Voice for Europe.

I thought the first half of Yuki Yuna S2 was going to be the three movies so you don't need to see the movies before then.

I didn't really think about this until now but it's odd that the only Netflix original shows that have a physical release is the anime ones like with Knights of Sidonia, Ajin, and Seven Deadly Sins for instance. I can't really think of one Netflix live-action show that has a physical release. I imagine in the future that they could be a time where Netflix anime won't ever have a physical release outside of Japan. I would probably even say that the reason there are physical releases of Netflix anime outside of Japan is because Japan's crazy physical market.

Hidive right now needs to be available on other formats ie phone, console, smart TV to have a chance. Also the Anime Network will still exist as a cable/VOD network. It's just they won't exist as a streaming service.

Amazon could easily win anime fans if they have their Anime Strike service without Amazon Prime but they don't.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am

Mys145 wrote: ::happy::

That was my assumption with Eleven Arts, just hoping that's its screening will lead to someone pushing a physical release sooner.

I couldn't get a 100% on Yuki Yuna Season 2, but I think you're right on that. Or so I've heard something similar.

I think the only reason you have anime shows getting physical releases is, yes partly because Japan WILL do a physical release, but also because anime is an anomaly when it comes to DVD and BR sales. Anime is about the only medium that still sells lots of physical copies. Most others like Live Action films are a dying breed. It just goes to show you that anime fans love their shows and want them in their collection, while most other people who are film fans wouldn't care at all about having Live Action flick #5425 in physical form. So even if Netflix doesn't care, someone like Sentai is like "I'll take that cash!"

Or it could be an agreement Netflix has to do with the committees. If Netflix isn't on the committee itself, they may have Netflix get someone to distribute it and hand of the dub. Just a theory.

Weisschen
I Like Anime

Postby Weisschen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

Andrew wrote:Keep in mind, the question was "why do people hate Shirou", not "why do you hate Shirou". Saying we are misinformed when all we're doing is saying what people complain about is silly. I really don't have a problem with him like others do, I'm just not going to defend him. And yes, I have watched all available adaptations.

Spoiler:
Oh, don't get me wrong you do not need to defend him or anything if you do not want to but I do not think it is silly for me to simply point out that a major point of criticism you brought up for why people don't like him (and at least one of you made it sound like he very much shares it) is something that isn't based on anyones opinion but is simply factual incorrect. And since you two did not correct it in any way or form I understandably came to the conclusing that you did not know about it.

Stating facts is not defending anyone. Facts are simple knowledge about a show and should be brought up in a discussion even if you simply repeat what the problems of other peoples are.

That an particular Anime has 12 episodes instead of 14.

That the hair of a character is blond not blue.

etc.

People can still dislike it. They can claim that it is stupid or annoying if they feel like it. That's their opinion but Shirou supposedly not acknowledging his problems is not.

EDIT: Okay, you know what. I just decided that this isn't worth it. Just pretend like we never talked about this.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 am

Weisschen wrote: ::happy::

If there was anything factually incorrect about the issues we pointed out people said, I'd say something. They are opinions though. He wanted to be a hero of justice, he was idealistic, he did tell Saber to back off in Fate Route, and he doesn't acknowledge the limits of himself in telling Saber to back off. Yes, he changed and none of them are terrible things in my opinion, but that doesn't mean people weren't complaining about those quirks as they happened and still, to this day, complain about them.

What of any of that, that we pointed out as complaints, were factually incorrect as points of opinion in response to occurrence? Saying that a character eventually comes to terms with something doesn't suddenly make his past suddenly disappear.

Weisschen wrote:EDIT: Okay, you know what. I just decided that this isn't worth it. Just pretend like we never talked about this.

Heh, it's no biggy, just trying to understand how we were off base. I'm actually with you despite me kind of having to defend the statement of criticism. I love fate stay, and it would be hard to if I hated the MC. People just love to hate on certain characters and get hung up on things is all. Sorry if I made you feel offput by pointing out criticism.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

New Game manga hype!!! Been wanting to read it since season 1 ended, now we got a season 2 and the manga coming over. Woooo! Good times for New Game fans. Didn't hear about the School Live manga hiatus though. Hopefully everything is okay! I'm sure the author is just taking a much needed break, maybe think about some future plot developments. But regardless hope it's okay on their end and they're just cooling down a bit. Seems like they've been going almost non stop for awhile as far as i can tell.

Pretty hyped for the New Game and Tanaka Kun dubs. I hope they nail both, they're deserving of fantastic dubs. Can't wait to rewatch Tanaka in the future with hopefully I great dub. Also can't wait for Yuki Yuna 2, I hope it's on CR too.

And that's a pretty tough question of best/worst magical girl... I'd be in agreeance with Kyoko/Sayaka as best, they're arguably my top 2. Even though shes not my favorite, gotta give love to Sailor Moon. No denying what she did for the genre and as seasons go on she comes into her own pretty nicely. And I can't argue with Swim Swim as the worst, she was pretty horrible with what she did.

Had fun with this cast, lotsa great questions. These always brighten my Monday's. I know I say it everytime I comment here but I mean it, good job guys. Keep up the great work you two put into this. :3

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations and I'm glad you had fun with the questions I asked! I really enjoy getting to hear other peoples opinions on what could be called more trivial matters. ::peace::
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 pm

In hindsight, saying that I had an "interesting take" on anime characters' hair might've been a tad misleading, but anyway, here goes: I totally love colored hair on girls/women in real life. And I don't mean dyed blond or black: Show me garish colors like red, blue, green, pink or orange, and I'll practically be drooling over it (please don't take that literally, I'm not a creeper, honestly :P).

Now obviously, you don't see many women running around who are crazy (or, in a positive spin, self-confident) enough to opt for brightly colored hair, especially in everyday life - at least not where I live. But when I went to this year's "Japan Day" in a nearby city, I was in for a treat ::happy::... Cosplayers galore. I'd never been to an anime convention or any similar event, so needless to say this was an amazing experience. So many eyegasms ::nosebleed:: (again, I'm not that bad... Please believe me...).

At some point, I figured this proclivity of mine may be derived from my love for - and high-dosage consumption of - anime. A rather frightening thought if taken seriously, but a sensible line of thought in my opinion. But then I remembered that I've had this preference since way before I got into anime: A female classmate of mine in 5th to 7th grade who had subscribed to the 'punk' lifestyle liked to wear her hair in vibrant colors, and I remember being extremely intrigued by it.

So yeah, a little personal story that seemed to be related to anime, but didn't in the end. When watching anime, I'm generally cool with whatever hair style and color the creators come up with (although I guess black and brown don't really stand out much). If I were to name a preference, I'm a bit more biased towards short rather than long hair, myself.

I think Chris brought up a very interesting topic. Time to pick up your air rifle and hunt some birdies. Then we're going to lift the mystery... When the Pigeons Cry...

Edit: Oh, and also: More love for Kobato! Best girl in Haganai. "Kuh kuh kuh..."
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)