Animecast: Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

Animecast: Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Sunrise is known recently for using CGI in the Gundam series here and there, but MS Igloo is an odd case of full CGI that the Otaku Spirit Animecast hosts were a bit shocked to discover. Join them as they dive into this series and give their take on its pros and cons.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo Blu-ray was provided to us for review by Right Stuf and Sunrise.

The opening for this episode is the OP for IGLOO The Hidden One Year War called “Sora no Tamoto” by TAJA. The closing for this episode is the OP for IGLOO Apocalypse 0079 called “Yume Wadachi” by TAJA.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/07/animecas ... -ms-igloo/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

mountblade98
I Like Anime

Re: Animecast: Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo

Postby mountblade98 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 am

Unlike you guys, I liked the first igloo more than the 2nd. It probably has some to do with seeing the OYW from the perspective of the other side, the side most often painted as the bad guys. I also really liked that over the course of the series, the characters' slowly realized that they were losing the war, and their feeling of helplessness stemming from that and their failures. One thing I didn't like were the new characters that came with each new episode. Some of them were a bit too over-the-top in their eccentricities, perhaps in an attempt to make them more memorable in the limited amount of time they appear.

I really didn't care for Igloo 2. The change of characters every episode made it hard for me to care for them too much, even harder than it was to care for the characters in the first series. And the angel of death thing was a bit too weird for me, though I do like how you explained it as ptsd and struggling with their pasts.....or something. One thing I did like was seeing the beginning stages of the war, when Zeon absolutely dominated the Federation, something we haven't really seen in another UC entry.

Overall, Igloo was a pleasant surprise. Though it ranks pretty low on the scale of UC gundam, I don't regret watching it.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 pm

This show is for hardcore UC fans.
I was suprised by quality of MS IGLOO.Not only it showed aspects of One Year War that were only mentioned before but it also was well animated...CGI didn't ruined this show.KUMA SHOCK!
As for story I have to agree with mountblade98 and say that I enjoyed 1st part significantly more.I just enjoyed seeing increasing desperation between Zeon soldiers as inventions started becoming contraptions and impending doom was drawing nearer and nearer.
2nd part would be alot more enjoyable to me if other,less direct,metaphor for PTSD was used instead of Sephiroth wannabe shinigami.
But despite that IGLOO is satisfying package.

On the side note:huge props to Taja for performing fantastic opening themes.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

DestroyerGX
Anime Junky

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Agreed with Kocurek1944 and mountblade98: I liked the running narrative of Zeon for the first part better than a bunch of stories covering the Federation side. I especially liked viewing things from Engineering Lt. May's perspective. The Battle of A Bao A Qu was one of the best Gundam battles I have seen.