325) Summer 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

325) Summer 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 am

The Summer Anime Season is well under way, and it’s time for the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast to finally weigh in on their thoughts for what’s working and what’s not. Listen in and see if you agree or have missed a series that you may want to pick up!

Anime Featured in this Episode: 18if, Aho Girl, Welcome to the Ballroom, A Centaur’s Life, Lights of the Clione, Dive, Gamers, My First Girlfriend is a Gal, Hina Logic From Luck and Logic, Restaurant to Another World, In Another World With My Smartphone, Chronos Ruler, Katsugeki Touken Ranbu, Clean Freak Aoyama-kun, Knight’s and Magic, Love and Lies, Convenient Store Boy Friends, Made in Abyss, Magical Circle Guru Guru, Fastest Finger First, Netsuzou Trap NTR, New Game Season 2, Nora Princess and the Stray Cat, Princess Principal, Altair A Record of Battles, Angel’s 3Piece, Tsuredure Children, Vatican Miracle Examiner, Elegant Yokai Apartment Life, and Classroom of the Elite.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Gamers called “Gamers!” by the cast. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Made in Abyss called “Tabi no Hidarite, Saihate no Migite” by the cast.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/08/animecas ... pressions/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 325) Summer 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Mys145 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 am

For future impressions episodes, can you guys repeat how many episodes of a show you been watching before moving on to the next show? There were times when I didn't remember how many episodes you watch of a show so I could comment on it.

A Centaur's Life is probably the most interesting in terms of world-building. You don't really see shows that have entire "nonhuman" societies. I think you guys were being a bit too silly when you kept saying they weren't human even though they themselves say they were.

I do think there is something to Dive with how the main character trying to balance practicing diving and having a normal social life. I do understand why people aren't into the show though.

was In Another World With My Smartphone supposed to be a parody because it really failed hard to me.

I assume Convenient Store Boy Friends would be 12 episodes since each episode title is a month. The show really doesn't do the name justice at all and it's barely there for the most part. It should have been a different show with a different title and just focus on the main 2 pairings and have the other pairings be background characters that show up here and there.

I wonder if Fastest Finger First was meant to showcase the quiz bowl aspect than the actual characters themselves. If you aren't really into the quiz bowl aspect, it's probably not enough to continue watching.

Princess Principal really has no reason that I can see to have the out of order episode structure. I would bet that the show only did it because the first episode is actually the last episode.

Angel’s 3Piece was something I watched the first episode and thought it seem familiar to Ryo-Ku-Bu. It turns out I was right and was from the same author. The primary reason I stopped watching was the inability to believe a girl who struggles speaking in complete sentences could belt out an entire song along with her lazy friend doing an entire set on the drums.

So Andrew hates the nice girl turns super mean turn.

I think Andrew was thinking of Saiyuuki Blast Reload that was a sequel not Fox Spirit's Matchmaker which is another Haoliners show. I couldn't continue watching after the first episode especially the main guy character has a ponytail that at one point, part of it was around his neck like a choker. I leave with that.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:02 am

This season so far has been pretty great, last season was kinda meh for me but this one has a lot of hits for me only one bad, which was 18if which I just didn't like. The set up was alright, the second episode was alright even if it was cheesy (to me at least) with the whole morals thing. Then kinda continued to not do much for me unfortunately. I'll be curious on your guys future thoughts on it, if you guys keep at it that is.

New Game!! = makes my kokoro go doki doki. Love it way more I should but it's just hitting all the right notes and I couldn't be happier. :3 I think New Game will squeeze into my top 10 if this second season keeps pace like it has.

Really liking Gamers as well, been a bit of a surprise. I knew it would be enjoyable to me but so far it's been a lot of fun, the comedy is wacky, the charecters are great. Hopefully it keeps up! Speaking of surprises, Aoyama is another surprise. I don't mind the one joke ordeal. I just love the absurdity of the entire show. The charecters are wacky and so over the top at times I just can't help but laugh.

Classroom of the Elite is pretty good too. Curious where it'll go. But so far it's just nice to put on and watch it unfold, I'm liking it so far, how itll end, and what it does in the future will determine how much I like it but so far it's just good. Not much more, nothing less. I really love the way Lerche does art and animation too so that's another reason I'm watching. I started following them loyally and generally I'm not disappointed.

Also loving Aho Girls craziness, gotta catch up on Convenient Store Boyfriends, and that cat short. I laughed so hard at the end of the first episode. It went from 0 to 100 so fast.

Great as always guys, the bloopers at the end of the vast were funny! Looking forward to the next.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Mys145 wrote:I think Andrew was thinking of Saiyuuki Blast Reload that was a sequel not Fox Spirit's Matchmaker which is another Haoliners show.

No, I said It for both. Both have previous airings.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 am

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I think Andrew was thinking of Saiyuuki Blast Reload that was a sequel not Fox Spirit's Matchmaker which is another Haoliners show.

No, I said It for both. Both have previous airings.

I did some research about Fox Spirit's Matchmaker and found out that we were a bit of right and wrong. There are five seasons of the show in China but what's currently on Crunchyroll is the first season but with a Japanese dub and editing the original episodes from half length to full length episodes. When I was watching that first episode, there was no way it could have been an episode from a later season and was like a first episode of a show period.

So now Haoliners are dumping their old shows on Japan now.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 am

Love and Lies sounds awesome to me - too bad it doesn't seem to be getting a broadcast dub. Here's hoping it gets localized at some point, I'll definitely keep an eye out.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Crash Kamio wrote: ::peace::

This season is an interesting one as it's touted as a terrible one (though that's a seasonal claim since the beginning of the seasonal fandom), even though it's actually pretty strong. Granted, it doesn't have 20 mind blowing standouts, it has a few great titles and a lot of solid ones. Easily something I realized when deciding on dropping shows for the sake of doing some much needed catch up and not liking it one bit. There's only probably 3 shows I could do without (can probably guess based on my tone on the cast).

Was funny that at some point people thought we were not including bloopers on purpose, but in fact we just don't goof up, don't force bloopers, and just roll with the punches anymore. But if it's outside intro or outro, I'll try to include it.

BlueSpark wrote:Love and Lies sounds awesome to me - too bad it doesn't seem to be getting a broadcast dub. Here's hoping it gets localized at some point, I'll definitely keep an eye out.

This may be a good one to experiment on. A hope is that Sentai Filmworks may start experimenting on Simuldubs to push subs on their HiDive channel. Something to keep an eye out for. But purely speculation on my part.