327) Nozomi Needs YOU To Save Aria!

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

327) Nozomi Needs YOU To Save Aria!

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 am

The face of anime is shifting once again as Funimation is bought up, Netflix acquires more titles, and Daisuki closes its doors. Listen in and get the latest of news and opinions from the hosts of the Animecast!

Topics this episode: Kaspersky moetified, Juni Taisen to Crunchyroll, Your Name Sales, Gundam Seed Remaster, Attack on Titan Lost Girls OVA, Kizumonogatari Part 3 and Koyomimonogatari western release, Junji Ito’s anime, Shakugan no Shana’s Return, Stream of Gundam Origins Episode 5, Aokana Switch Version, Kud Wafter Crowdfunding update, Fate Extra PV, Land of Lustrous, Dagashi Kashi Season 2, Funimation Releases, Crunchyroll Streams, Netflix Licenses and Releases, Netflix’s Japan Influence, Funimation bought by Sony, Daisuki Closing, and much more!

Thanks to thegenkiguy and Crash Kamio for the great questions featured in this episode! Thanks to Deba-kun for the great feedback!

The intro music for this episode called “Watashikobutachikku” by Bonjour Suzuki and can be found on iTunes. The outro music for this episode is called “Undine” by Yui Makino and can be found on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/08/animecas ... save-aria/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 327) Nozomi Needs YOU To Save Aria!

Postby Mys145 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am

I was reading an article about all of the Netflix releases and how the CEO was a big anime fan. For a big anime fan, he can't quite understand that anime fans don't want the drop and binge releases. I know that they can do sort of similucasting with their anime in Japan (they are usually release a couple days of airing) but they can't do that with the rest of the world. That's probably the most frustrated thing about Netflix that they can do it but refuse to do so. I believe their simultaneous world releases will be drop and binge. If it isn't that would shock me.

It's nice that Netflix is pouring money into the animation studios so they can make stuff they want to make. Again their releasing plan is just annoying especially to me because I don't really binge.

Speaking of lack of apps, HiDive needs some or they can be like Daisuki.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Man I'm gonna have to go through all those physical releases you guys mentioned. All I remember off hand is New Game and Myriad. So many good releases upcoming. Gotta prepare the wallet, it's in for a big hit.

Also I'm pretty happy Netflix got Violet Evergarden. It totally sucks we'll have to wait longer but I'm willing to be patient. And I know it'll look great streamed there too. I still have many issues with CR so I'm pumped. :3 I think the wait will be worth it.

And also good to hear they're willing to help studios out so they can make the shows they want. Instead of them making what's popular at the moment to make some money. We need some more risk shows that will challenge everyone and break the mold. More passion projects. I'll always love quirky anime comedies, club shows and slice of life as long as it's done well, but we need some mixing up as of right now. But there will always be a place for thw more quirky shows i believe. Hope I remembered the topic right cause it's been a day or so and I'm foggy on some of the cast details.

Also thanks for answering the questions, hope they weren't too heavy or personal. Kinda funny you mentioned March Comes in Like a Lion and Orange in passing of shows that hit those personal notes for people. Those are two shows that hit me kinda personally as well. They definitely came in at the right time and was what I needed. They were a great outlet week to week. Partly why I love anime is they seem to have those shows that can get more personal than most stuff over here. It's very enveloping and I love it.

Thanks again guys, great as always. Hope to hear that horror cast soon! I'm excited for that. :3

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 am

Aaargh... Funimation, are you serious? I just dumped money on the Future Diary DVD/BD combo pack a while ago - now they're gonna re-release it with the OVA :/? Well, as long as they actually dub it, I'll probably bite. Maybe I'll wait until the price goes down, though.

A kickstarter for an Aria dub, huh? I don't know too much about the show, but I remember Tori worships it (although I'm not sure how much our tastes align), and genre-wise, it looks like it could be for me. I might just have to create a kickstarter account, after all.

Mys145 wrote:For a big anime fan, he can't quite understand that anime fans don't want the drop and binge releases.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I, for one, only binge-watch anime. That being said, I don't see the downside to airing weekly episodes since people like me can simply wait until the last one releases and then watch it at their leisure.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am

BlueSpark wrote:A kickstarter for an Aria dub, huh? I don't know too much about the show, but I remember Tori worships it (although I'm not sure how much our tastes align), and genre-wise, it looks like it could be for me. I might just have to create a kickstarter account, after all.

It's important to note, and I didn't know this at the time of recording, that this kickstarter initially is only for Season 1. Though they may add stretch goals later to Dub/HD the rest.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Mys145 wrote:For a big anime fan, he can't quite understand that anime fans don't want the drop and binge releases.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I, for one, only binge-watch anime. That being said, I don't see the downside to airing weekly episodes since people like me can simply wait until the last one releases and then watch it at their leisure.

I should clarify that drop and binge is fine if everyone gets drop and binge. It's when Japan airs the series weekly and Netflix puts the episodes up weekly over there but yet the rest of the world has to wait for the entire series to be done and then some time after that to get the series is what I criticized Netflix for. If they can a weekly release model in one place, why not do it everywhere else? They just alienated the hardcore anime fans this way which Amazon also does with their double paywall.

Here's an ANN article talking about Tomohiro Machiyama's comments about Netflix.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/interes ... an/.119931

Also the first season of Aria was just added to Crunchyroll.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 am

Andrew wrote:It's important to note, and I didn't know this at the time of recording, that this kickstarter initially is only for Season 1. Though they may add stretch goals later to Dub/HD the rest.
That's good to know, thanks. Depending on how the first season ends, this might be a dealbreaker.

Mys145 wrote:It's when Japan airs the series weekly and Netflix puts the episodes up weekly over there but yet the rest of the world has to wait for the entire series to be done and then some time after that to get the series is what I criticized Netflix for. If they can a weekly release model in one place, why not do it everywhere else?
Gotcha. Worded that way, I can clearly see a valid criticism. Even if it won't affect me, it's kind of a d**k move towards many other fans.

Crash Kamio wrote:Also thanks for answering the questions, hope they weren't too heavy or personal. Kinda funny you mentioned March Comes in Like a Lion and Orange in passing of shows that hit those personal notes for people. Those are two shows that hit me kinda personally as well.
Shamelessly hijacking the thread to drop my own two cents on the matter:

The one anime that really connected with me on a personal level is my favorite Ghibli movie, When Marnie Was There, which - in my mind - has a picture-perfect representation of a deeply introverted character. At some points, it was almost painful to notice the similarities between Anna's overall behavior and my own. There's so much significance in many of her little actions as well, which might go unnoticed by people who aren't as introverted as I am. That movie honestly made me reflect on the way I behave towards other people (although I have no plans to change).

Apart from that, there's really nothing that has 'moved' me in a sense that it changed my outlook on life, my approach to personal relationships etc.. I do get invested, suffer and rejoice with the characters involved, but when the show's over (in a literal sense), I quickly detach and look back at it as a piece of entertainment and nothing more.
One series that did a little more than that for me is Clannad After Story: It might be far from a realistic portrayal, but that anime genuinely gave me (an eternal bachelor) an inkling of some of the incredibly happy moments a father would experience raising their child.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Crash Kamio wrote::3

Totally thought PonyCan USA would get Myriad Colors, but looks like they didn't hold much grab on KyoAni like I thought. Guess it was strictly kept to Sound Euphonium. Though, still curious if they'll dabble in Season 2 of Sound Euphonium or if they are really done with USA releases like I think (last release was Rokka and Kuromukuro if I recall correctly). Mixed on if I'll get Myriad Colors (maybe when it's cheap) but definitely interested in New Game.

Good point about Violet Evergarden. High quality of their stream will be necessary with all that crazy detail they have in that show. Like you said, as much as the delay sucks, it may be worth it in the end. Just sucks not being part of the conversation during that time. May just wait and buy Blu-ray though. Just hope spoilers aren't everywhere from it, because it looks to be heartbreaking.

Thanks for the feedback as always. Hope for whatever reason Orange and MCiLaL hits you personally that things have resolved or gotten better!

BlueSpark wrote:Aaargh... Funimation, are you serious? I just dumped money on the Future Diary DVD/BD combo pack a while ago - now they're gonna re-release it with the OVA :/? Well, as long as they actually dub it, I'll probably bite. Maybe I'll wait until the price goes down, though.

That's alright, I'm feeling this right now with all of Sentai Filmworks's "Complete" releases coming soon. Clannad and Higurashi to name couple. Wondering if I should double dip to save shelf space.. probably wont though...

Mys145 wrote:I was reading an article about all of the Netflix releases and how the CEO was a big anime fan. For a big anime fan, he can't quite understand that anime fans don't want the drop and binge releases. I know that they can do sort of similucasting with their anime in Japan (they are usually release a couple days of airing) but they can't do that with the rest of the world. That's probably the most frustrated thing about Netflix that they can do it but refuse to do so. I believe their simultaneous world releases will be drop and binge. If it isn't that would shock me.

It's nice that Netflix is pouring money into the animation studios so they can make stuff they want to make. Again their releasing plan is just annoying especially to me because I don't really binge.

Speaking of lack of apps, HiDive needs some or they can be like Daisuki.

No doubt the world releases will be that. Only thing tying them to simulcasting JP is because it's TV airing at the same time. Once they break from that and have the entire series in their hands alone, binge drops will be regular even in JP.

I think most of the problems with binge dropping right now is rooted around the fact that people are going back to pirating. And that's a step back for all the work simulcast companies have done to pull people out of pirating. But the other issue is that anime fans are used to week-by-week viewing with friends and discussing AS a show airs. Versus binge watching which is more difficult to get conversation around it after it's finally released. It's obvious from how you see little to no discussion about a big name like Little Witch Academia even though it's finally releasing.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Andrew wrote:Totally thought PonyCan USA would get Myriad Colors, but looks like they didn't hold much grab on KyoAni like I thought. Guess it was strictly kept to Sound Euphonium. Though, still curious if they'll dabble in Season 2 of Sound Euphonium or if they are really done with USA releases like I think (last release was Rokka and Kuromukuro if I recall correctly). Mixed on if I'll get Myriad Colors (maybe when it's cheap) but definitely interested in New Game.

Good point about Violet Evergarden. High quality of their stream will be necessary with all that crazy detail they have in that show. Like you said, as much as the delay sucks, it may be worth it in the end. Just sucks not being part of the conversation during that time. May just wait and buy Blu-ray though. Just hope spoilers aren't everywhere from it, because it looks to be heartbreaking.

Thanks for the feedback as always. Hope for whatever reason Orange and MCiLaL hits you personally that things have resolved or gotten better!

Hopefully season 2 of it will get a release. One day I'll buy into the first season and watch my bank account weep. Worth it for that good Blu-ray quality for Kyoani. I'm with you on Myriad. If I see it cheap I'll get it or out at an FYE or something. Don't really want to pre order it, I liked it but not enough to order it right now, I already got my New Game ordered though. All the hhyyyypppeeeeeeee.

Yeah not being apart of the conversation during the season will suck. It's always nice talking with others about it as it airs. Im just trying to put a postive spin on the situation. Maybe when it gets on Netflix we can organize a watch along. Get some conversation that way. Hope I don't run into any spoilers either, may have to make my time on Facebook limited as it airs. People love posting spoilers there.

And thanks that means a lot! They're on there way getting resolved for sure. :3 Better than it was last year around that time when those were airing.