329) Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa)

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

329) Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa)

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Makoto Shinkai is at it again with his recent movie that took the world by storm, Kimi no Na wa (Your Name). While the hosts of the Animecast are a bit late to the game, they are here with their import copy and ready to give their take on this movie that carries a lot of hype.

Following the spoiler free review of Your Name, we get into some spoiler discussion on some of the later elements and themes of the movie. If you have not watched Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name), avoid listening beyond the 20:47 marker.

The opening for this episode is from the soundtrack for Your Name called “Dream Lantern” by RADWIMPS. The closing for this episode is from the soundtrack for Your Name called “Nandemonaiya” by RADWIMPS. The Soundtrack can be downloaded from iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/08/animecas ... -no-na-wa/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

onibaka
I Like Anime

Re: 329) Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa)

Postby onibaka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 am

Another great podcast, nice to finally get to hear your opinions on the movie. I was luckily enough to watch it in cinema at Scotland loves Anime, along with a silent voice. I agree their both two very different films with different stories to tell, both are excellent film and that deserve praise (Eagerly awaiting for you guys to review that too.)

I would also like to add, i loved the soundtrack to the film and it has been very much my background music for this summer.
FGO NA - 121,005,529 - GudaGuda
FGO JAP - 365,985,492 - Ahnenerbe

MyBalls
I Like Anime

Postby MyBalls » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 am

I was really happy to hear that you was unspoiled Andrew. I also had seen it without any spoiler. It really makes a big difference. "Garden of words" is also one of my favorites, but unlike "Your Name", it has a more open end, what is more typical for asian-movies. Not easy to digest for westerns. I think the BIG diference in "Your Name" was, that it had a FULL STORY. It have a beginning and a end. I think this is why it is liked worldwide.

Sinkai Makotos other works looked the same complex and polished for me. The only difference this time was, it was a complete story. It seems this is what you need to rule the world :)

Sorry but I can´t accept that comfortable-swiss-way comparison like: "It is a different story". We compare films on a daily basis and all have a "different story".
We had this debate with my wife, and the result was: "Your Name" is better.
- The deciding factor was the timings. The timings in "Your Name" were way superior. There wasn´t a single moment in the film, where you "droped out" of the experience.
- In "Silent Voice" they could have cut 10-15 min of exposition and made the experience much-much more tense. It also had the side effect that 2-3 times I was catching myself watching it and thinking: "okaaaay.. now what?" waiting for story.

Did you guys watched "The Dragon Dentist" already? Would like to hear your opinion on it.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

I jumped off as soon as I heard Andrew mention the word "spoiler." Thanks for giving us a broad overview without revealing anything substantial. I really liked what I heard :). Shinkai's stories never quite jived with me, so I'm excited to hear that this one has a different feel to it. So, the only question is... dub release when :/? Well, I'm patient. Good things will come to those who wait, or so I've heard.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:55 am

BlueSpark wrote:So, the only question is... dub release when :/?

November 7th is when Funimation releases the Blu-Ray.

I don't really understand why people need to compare A Silent Voice to Your Name. They are both great movies and also I couldn't say which one is better myself.

I do want to point out something about the movie that I learned.

Spoiler:
The two subway lines that Taki and Mitsuha were riding on have a meaning. Those two lines are parallel to each other and never cross. It shows that Shinkai was thinking of symbolism even something with like subway lines.

MyBalls
I Like Anime

Postby MyBalls » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Mys145 wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
The two subway lines that Taki and Mitsuha were riding on have a meaning. Those two lines are parallel to each other and never cross. It shows that Shinkai was thinking of symbolism even something with like subway lines.

wow .... this blow my mind

MyBalls
I Like Anime

Postby MyBalls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Mys145 wrote:November 7th is when Funimation releases the Blu-Ray.

Is this for the german release?

Because not even my comic shop knows when or who will release it in germany
::terrible::

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

It's for the US release. They just announced the date in an Otakon panel a little over a week ago.

MyBalls
I Like Anime

Postby MyBalls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Mys145 wrote:It's for the US release. They just announced the date in an Otakon panel a little over a week ago.

the best selling anime.... and still only Nov.7 for the US... it seems for me the industry don´t want my money.

::alone::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Pre-orders went up for Your Name on Rightstuf. Funimation's release looks really nice for the price and I'm quite surprised. No 4k Blu-ray, but its got a split chipboard box with holographic finish, 2 disk RADWIMPS soundtrack, and 60 page art book. 55 Bucks if you are a Membership holder.

onibaka wrote: ::peace::

I kicked myself after recording that I didn't talk about the soundtrack. Some great "Bump Of Chicken" feeling vocal music that I loved. Invite anyone to buy their soundtrack on iTunes as it's all there.

Can't wait to check out A Silent Voice, awesome that you got to knock them out in one go. I was super jelly at that theater event. (Jelly of all the Scottland Loves Anime events lol)

MyBalls wrote: ::peace::

I don't mind so much open-endedness but I do expect them to not rely on my own drawn conclusions to exceed the original work. It's almost like my dislike for abstract art and the notion of "What does it speak to you". Not saying that's Makoto's thing, but it's also never been my draw back for his work. Anyhow, I chased a rabbit hole with my views on open-ended writing...

I really don't think open-ended nature of his previous works is why they didn't resonate while Your Name did, because his previous works didn't work in JP all the same as they didn't work in west. As I mentioned in the cast, the entire movie was polished and never wasteful with it's viewer's time. It keeps you engaged, and while I don't dislike his previous works, I see flaws in how they flow and how polished they feel. Those reasons are why they just didn't take off in JP or Worldwide.

I do agree that people compare movies all the time, but our point was more on that 1.We haven't seen one of them, and 2.We generally don't Head-To-Head compare movies on the basis of "which is better" because that often dictates that one needs to be viewed and the other not. We use other shows/movies for reference for people to see similarities in "You like this, you'll like this other thing" more so than a competition. And that's always been our stance.

Easy example was Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk War. They were similar as all get, but we focused on the benefit to watching both rather than just saying "forget Asterisk War because Failed Knight was better", which I know is not YOUR point, but it's what people seem to get caught up in. Which is what we were dismissing. Hope that makes sense.

Haven't seen Dragon Dentist yet, hope to soon!

BlueSpark wrote: ::peace::

Glad you liked the spoiler free segment! Hope you can revisit once you watched it! We had some good discussion I think.

Can't wait to show it to friends/family after Novemeber 7 release from Funimation with Dub!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694