332) Ryuk Will Eat Your Pancreas

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

332) Ryuk Will Eat Your Pancreas

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

Netflix Death Note, Studio Ghibli, and new studio openings are hot button topics on this episode of the Discussional Animecast. Listen in and hear what the hosts have to say about the recent news of the otaku world!

Topics this episode: AIOCO Manga, Kimi No Suizou Wo Tabetai (I want to Eat Your Pancreas) Adaptation, Kaiju Girls Season 2, Life Size Unicorn Gundam, iQIYI Chinese Co-Pro, Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light, Tenshou’s studio Bibury Animation, Aria Kickstarter Update, New Crunchyroll Streams, New Applicants at Studio Ghibli, Discotek Licenses, ToraCon Otaku Marriage Stats, Crunchyroll getting into Game Publishing, Secret of Mana Remake, dot Hack GU HD Remaster, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Blast, Type Moon and Marvelous new Extella work, Netflix Death Note Review, and much more!

Thanks to Stash Brannigan, BlueSpark, Star-K, and Scribblenog for the great questions featured in this episode! Thanks to Greatrush and animelover22 for the great feedback!

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Sunday Without God called “Birth” by Eri Kitamura. The outro music for this episode is the OP2 for A Lull in the Sea called “ebb and flow” by Ray.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/08/animecas ... -pancreas/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Re: 332) Ryuk Will Eat Your Pancreas

Postby Scribblenog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:04 pm

I was thrilled to hear my question answered on the podcast, difficulty deciphering my overly wordy query aside.
I appreciated the thorough response. There are a lot of tropes that frustrate me as well. You cited the tendency of MC's on the receiving end of a female character's ire being punched into orbit. I've never been a fan of that myself. Conversely, I adore my lucky perverts and their inadvertent chest fondling.
I'm definitely glad you guys are open to giving shows a chance in the interest of informing and entertaining the listeners and community (kudos on giving Junjo Romantica a shot). I have greatly enjoyed the podcast's predominantly positive take on shows. It just makes it that much funnier when you guys hit something you really don't like.

I have absolutely been having a blast since I decided to join up here.

Secret of Mana remake! I can't begin to squee over how absolutely pumped I am for this. Omigod Steam, take my money and give me my nostalgia. Aaaand while your at it if you happen to have a PC port of Senran Kagura lying around...

So I was giving some thought to "anime" not made in Japan.
I'm of two minds on this.
As a fan of the visual aspect of the media I think I could conceivably get behind something that looks like anime, but is not done by a Japanese studio. As yet I haven't been blown away by the things I've seen (Cupid's Chocolate springs to mind) but it looks pretty enough.
On the other hand there's just something I get from the series that come out of Japan that I don't find elsewhere. It's one of the main reasons I watch so much anime. All of the pieces, all the tropes and archetypes, they all just fit in a way that really appeals to me.
I can't say whether or not it's a uniquely Japanese thing that makes these shows click for me but I have yet to see a western high school centered cartoon show (not that I've ever seen such a thing) that entertains me as much as something like Suzuka or Haganai.
I'm interested in seeing if studios outside of Japan can capture the same feeling I get when I find an amazing anime series.

I would proudly walk around in public with my waifu hug pillow if I had one.

Lastly and most importantly I think the YozoraxItaru match up would be brilliant. As a fellow chubby and inappropriate otaku, I think Itaru would totally enjoy the abuse.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Well. I finally figured out my stupid hang up with Wake Up Girls following this podcast recording. I was almost positive that the movie was released after the show aired. That's incorrect as the movie came first. So watching the movie now haha. Didn't mention it on the cast when Chris said it was a random watch, but technically watching it in prep for the coming season.

Scribblenog wrote: ::peace::

Haha. Itaru probably would be into it. Glad to hear you're having a blast here, we love seeing new faces and increasing good chatter around here.

Unfortunately the issue with high school type shows in the west is that they are most dominately surrounding a children demographic and thus never attempt to be mature or grown up. About as close as we get to that is some live dramas like 90218 type stuff.

Also glad to hear you enjoy our take on finding the positive in things. We can't always find it, and always willing to express our frustrations, but our main goal is always to inform first and foremost.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 am

I continue to rat you guys out, Andrew.

I'm surprised that Bandai didn't remaster the original .hack quadilogy instead of doing the GU series for the 15th anniversary.

I always feel that any American adaption of an anime will fail because the causal people won't be interested in watching it and the hardcore anime fans will hate it because they change too much from the original source material. It doesn't satisfy anyone except for a silver of people.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:42 am

You mean to tell me a measly cat took my rightful spot as the fire-breathing denizen of the skies? How dare you, human!

Anyway, thanks for putting up with all of my questions :D. I'm afraid answering them has doomed our planet twice over, though: 1. Chris 'accidentally' groping Haruhi, 2. Geist and Chise. Enough said. I'm off for a final prayer.

OK, we're still alive, I assume? Great. That means I can look forward to more podcast episodes with more weird questions courtesy of BlueSpark.

I did greatly enjoy your shipping endeavors. Some awesome choices in there (And thus LoliShips(tm) was born). The bonus round was a nice cherry on top, thanks :P.
You won't make an enemy of me by stressing your preference of Sena over Yozura, Andrew - I'm fully behind you on that one. I think I'll have to prepare another round since you guys are fresh out of questions.

Also, "teehee" triggers Andrew... Noted.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

michelous
Crazy About Anime

Postby michelous » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:07 pm

The guy that directed death note is a bad director

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Back for more late replying again.. sorry folks!

Mys145 wrote: ::peace::

Haha appreciate it. If I don't have ratting, I'll start to get reckless.

I agree on your point on adaptations. I feel it's either betting on a guaranteed view of curiosity or a genuine respect a creator may have for the source material. Wanting to share it with a new audience. Which Netflix seems to lend itself to more than other outlets.

BlueSpark wrote: ::peace::

Haha, glad we could deliver on your insane questions ::peace::

I already heard Chris eyeballing the next list and already creating more loliships.. sigh.. I at least try to think of something more clever than "who's the two smallest characters?!!?"
::sigh::
I think you created a monster....

And we already know what triggers Andrew.. it's memes...

michelous wrote: ::peace::

I'm more leaning on the writing than the directing. The camera work and feel in many places were solid.. it just had bad writing to go with it. But that's just my opinion on it.