337) Macross Finds Freedom?

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

337) Macross Finds Freedom?

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 am

The news feeds are filled with news of the coming season, and little more. However the hosts of the Animecast still have plenty to pick apart. Join them, and the community in another fun filled cast with some heavy hitting news pieces.

Topics this episode: Garden of Sinners, Re:Zero OVA, Shaft Magical Girl, Aria Kickstarter Conclusion, Steins Gate on Switch, Made In Abyss Finale, Yuki Yuna Season 2, Seven Sense Adaptation, Android 21 in Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Netflix Death Note Director Twitter, Studio Magia Doraglier Opening, Sword Art Online Ordinate Scale Rental, Monster License, Ending Manga, Seven Seas Licenses, Kodansha Licenses, Harmony Gold Loses Macross, and much more!

Thanks to fragoff, Lulink, and BlueSpark for the great questions featured in this episode!

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Macross Delta called “Ichido dake no Koi nara” by Walküre. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Serial Experiments Lain called “Tooi Sakebi” by Nakaido Reichi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/09/animecas ... s-freedom/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mr Tib
I Like Anime

Re: 337) Macross Finds Freedom?

Postby Mr Tib » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am

Ok, three things.

First, about a month or two ago I say some macross stuff on anime strike. I don't know anything about macross, so I don't know if it was the movies or the tv show or both or if I'm just mistaken but I did know at the time that macross was in licencing hell but I thought I was seeing it because it finally worked out. But after you said that it hasn't worked out I'm a little confused.

Second, referring to shipping K-on and Eva. You said it's hard because one is adults and older teens and the other is middle schoolers. Now I don't know if you just misspoke or if you are unaware like I was at one time but K-on is about older teens in high school and Eva is about adults and middle schoolers. Sorry for nit picking a throw away line in the middle of the discussion but I have a bad habit of latching on to a incorrect statment or one I think is wrong and wanting to correct it or be corrected.

Third, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BROTHERHOOD?!?! WHAT?!?! Ok, I know I'm not the first person to tell you that you need to watch it but I just want to know, how? How have you not watched it in the seven years it's been out? If you want me to gift the whole series to you and count it as a review copy for the podcast, I will. Or if there is a show I haven't seen that your like "How have you not seen that?" like clannad or death note that we can make a suggestion exchange with. I'm tying my best not to tell you what to do but I do feel like you two are missing out on greatness by putting it off.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Mr Tib wrote: ::peace::

Hey Tib!

What you're seeing for Macross on Amazon Strike is ONLY the original Macross that Harmony Gold has (and handful of other titles). The licensing hell is that we've never gotten anything since that original licensing. Since Harmony Gold claims they have all ownership of the name and thus claims they should have all royalties for everything released internationally after the original purchase they made. Thus the original JP creators can't do anything with it.

Correct on K-ON. It happens.

I have all of FMA Brotherhood. Snagged them all up when Funi was expiring the license back to Aniplex. Just, like everything else we want to watch, time. It's on the list already though. Appreciate the suggestion and more-so the offer!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:37 pm

I think there's another hurdle with the Macross license that needs to be overcome besides Harmony Gold's stranglehold on it. It has to do with the license of the songs which is probably why they haven't done anything with it for all of these years. Those songs will cost a pretty penny to license and something that will make companies do a double take especially with Macross 7 since it has 49 episodes compared to Frontier and Delta which have 26 each.

Hopefully I would think Big West and Studio Nue would want to get the license back from Harmony Gold so they could profit on the growing idol fandom internationally so acts like Walküre could actually bring all of their members instead of just 2 of them when they did Anime Expo back in July. But in the end, I think Harmony Gold will be like Fox with their Marvel properties and put out something to say they are still using the license even though they are being stubborn about it.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:03 am

Going into ship construction unprepared is not acceptable. Please clean up your act.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my (non-)questions again. Entertaining it was, to be sure. In all honesty, I've probably forgotten about a lot of characters in these shows myself. However, I definitely remember some from Karin; her grandmother (who doesn't actually look her age), for one. Could've perhaps made an item out of her and the gramps guy from Moon Phase.

Punishipping (Please continue to use this expression from now on, Andrew) Excalibur makes me a little sad... I actually liked the guy (err... creature?), even if mainly for comedic value. His scenes made for some of the best moments in the anime for me :D.

I especially loved your reaction to First Love Monster – looks like I struck a nerve there ;). I can empathize, though - that show was weird as all get out. Crabita was clearly the MVP, but sadly, I don't think there was a suitable partner for him in Kiss Him, Not Me.

As for hair accessories, I can see Chris's point of view. I mean, every man appreciates a woman's rounded assets :>.
For me, there are two characters jumping to mind. One is Tomoyo from When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace (only because I recently rewatched it, though) with those little stars on her hairclips. The other one is Asa Shigure from Shuffle! with a ribbon tying down a braid to the side of her face – but that's as much for the visual appeal as it is for the significance (story-wise) of the accessory itself. I think this one's actually going in the direction of Andrew's preference, right? I haven't watched Lain yet, but from the pictures I'm seeing, it looks like the same basic idea.

Lastly, I'm glad to hear the Aria kickstarter has done so well. I eventually decided not to back it myself – I'm simply not sure enough that it's a series I would enjoy. I might still change my mind once it's been released for non-backers.
This also gives me much hope for future similar kickstarter campaigns. Now, if only some company would consider dubbing Golden Time... or Sakurasou... or Konosuba... or even My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute!, I'd be all over that :P. I'm counting on you guys to keep me posted on new developments through your podcast because I don't frequent any anime news sites.
(Credit for this signature goes to Andrew - you rock!)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Mys145 wrote: ::peace::

Shouldn't be any more difficult than it is for idol shows or generally shows with big name musicians. But I can agree that it's difficult if not everyone is on board with international release. But that has been becoming increasingly a non-issue lately.

BlueSpark wrote: ::pff::

Gomen-ne!

Hah, Excalibur was one of those hilarious turned "ugh" types. But I agree.

My mind for some reason was totally on My Little Monster for some reason when I read First Love Monster... genuine shocku.

Yes Asa is definitely one. The bow isn't necessary but the concept is the same. I think the most recent in my head (that I failed to recall) is Zuru from Blame, though most of the girls had ties on their hair lol.

It's so annoying that I have a vague image of an example in my head but cannot for the life of me remember what from. Oh well.

We'll definitely let you know if anything pops up for Kickstarter dubs :P