338) Turn A Gundam

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

338) Turn A Gundam

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Wearing quite a different look than the standard Gundam tradition, Turn A Gundam brings about its own unique feel and style to the board. Listen in and get the hosts’ take on what makes Turn A Gundam so special.

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Turn A Gundam Collection Blu-ray was provided to us for review by Sunrise and Right Stuf.

The opening for this episode is the OP2 for Turn A Gundam called “Century Color” by RAY-GUNS. The closing for this episode is ED2 for Turn A Gundam called “Tsuki no Mayu” by Aki Okui.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/09/animecast-turn-a-gundam/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 338) Turn A Gundam

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 am

Gundam for the most part is about brutality of war,but Turn A is about difficulty of maintaining peace.

Turn A Gundam created to celebrate franchise 20th anniversary was not only return of Gundam creators Yoshiyuki Tomino(now with "happy go lucky" as his nickname interested of "kill'em all")but also Sunrise and Bandai attempt at connecting all the different timelines,hence the name which roughly translates to For All Gundam.
But not only Tomino was notable name in staff behind this show.Music was composed by Yoko Kanno(Cowboy Bebop,Macross Plus,Macross 7,Macross Frontier,Escaflowne,Zankyou no Terror) and design of shows Gundams were handled by legendary futurist and designer Syd Mead(Blade Runner,Aliens,Tron).Also it was the last Gundam to be animated on cells.

When I ask myself if I like Turn A I end up playing massive game of ping-pong in my head,constant back and forth between aspects I fairly enjoyed and things that were holding the show back in my opinion.
Things I liked:
-Turn A introduction scene,
-costume designs,
-setting,
-soundtrack,
-art style and art direction,
-Harry "Coolest sunglasses in the UNIVERSE" Ord,
-guys thinking that barrel makes for good space craft,bless'em,
-black history subplot,
-final confrontation,
-ending.
Things I didn't enjoyed:
-pace,
-Gym Ghingham,
-entire moon arc outside of aforementioned black history,
-the plot twist,
-obnoxious behavior of certain characters.
So overall I think Turn A Gundam is good anime but it just falls short of being great.

When it comes to 50 episodes Gundam shows You still have:
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

DestroyerGX
Anime Junky

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm

This series is another top favorite of mine. Doesn't quite compare to the original and Zeta, but still a very excellent series. I didn't have any of the issues you guys had: i was immersed in the story, just as I was with the original series and Zeta, minor issues aside. Probably has to do with my bent to being such a history buff, hence why I rate the older series higher.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote: ::peace::

Thanks for the seal!

Turn A Gundam Spoilers
Spoiler:
Didnt want to spoil it in the cast but it was fascinating that they mentioned the Universal Century. As I thought based on the odd change of style that it was in its own universe. Makes sense if they were attempting to connect timelines.

I can definitely feel his change in tone. I kept waiting for it to get dark. I remember telling Chris that at some point they were going to kill off Dianna and have Kihel take over. But that goes back to my fascination with their greying of lines. At some point it didn't matter who was who. They became the same person. Which I loved.

Wow at Yoko Kanno. Sad that I missed that. You know they couldn't go without a Char-like character. But he was really awesome. Dude could wreck people. I agree that I didn't like Gym. Felt like a weak big boss. And yeah, barrel... lol

Shhh... don't let Chris know how many more we have left! I was keeping that in my secret spreadsheet.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 am

WHAT!!!!!!!! 250 episodes..... that's like 125 hours at least....

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 am

Chris wrote:WHAT!!!!!!!! 250 episodes..... that's like 125 hours at least....

Weeeeeeell,Nozomi is pretty thorough in releasing every Gundam on Blu-Ray,so actually You will probably watch:250 episodes,1 original movie(Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie A weakening of the Trailblazer),1 original movie/OVA(Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz),1 original ONA(Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E.73 Stargazer),3 movie compilations(Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Special Edition,Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Special Edition,Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition),1 compilation OVA(Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Memory of Eden)and 1 parody TV short(Mobile Suit Gundam-san).
But fear not Chris!Your patience will be rewarded because Gundam AGE has lolis!
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

Don't forget about G Gundam aka the best Gundam . It may have only one less episode than the others but it's still up there.

I try to watch Turn A Gundam a long time ago and stop watching after episode 8 because it put me to sleep and also I got confused with who was on what side and then they flip flop constantly from episode to episode. It reminds of Reconguista in G in a bad way. I might try to give it another chance at some point.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

Mys145 wrote:Don't forget about G Gundam aka the best Gundam . It may have only one less episode than the others but it's still up there.

You are completely right,I did forgot G Gundam.
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"