341) Summer 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

341) Summer 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 am

The second parter in the Otaku Spirit Animecast reviews of the Summer 2017 Anime Season is ready to hit your ears. Join in to hear the hosts’ opinion on centaurs, tortured kids, panty thieves, romantic dragons, and more!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: A Centaur’s Life, Gamers, Restaurant to Another World, Made in Abyss, Classroom of the Elite, Princess Principal, Convenience Store Boy Friends, Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul.

Note: Following the spoiler free reviews for these shows, and following the closing music, we go into a spoiler discussion on a few shows. If you have not watched the below shows, avoid listening within their time stamps.

1:23:44 – 1:29:22 Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul
1:29:22 – 1:38:32 Made In Abyss

The opening song for this episode is the OP2 for Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul called “Walk This Way” by The Beat Garden. The closing song for this episode is the ED for A Centaur’s Life called “Edelweiss” by Asaka. The closing song to follow the spoiler segment is ED1 for Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul called “Haikei Goodbye Sayounara” by DAOKO.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/10/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

NativeAbearican
I Like Anime

Re: 341) Summer 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby NativeAbearican » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:17 am

Love the review episodes! Helps me figure what shows are worth going back to. :D

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 am

NativeAbearican wrote:Love the review episodes! Helps me figure what shows are worth going back to. :D

Another success story of adding to people's watch list. Muhahaha.

Thanks for listening!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm

A Centaur's Life being more about its unique world than necessary with the main cast just works for me. Maybe the title of the show should be something else because it seems like that Hime would be the only centaur but that's not the case at all. Also Shiro is Hime's cousin not niece. Hime is an only child and can't be an aunt.

I sort of wished that there was more club stuff with Gamers because I was getting tired of the misunderstanding rom-com that it was mostly was. I was so glad that episode 12 wasn't about romance at all.

Made in Abyss

Spoiler:
Riko should have carried a few more sets of clothes considering how many times she either pee,
puke, or bleed on her clothes. Also Nanashi is a guy. Don't think there's only one trap in a show.

Princess Principal was a good show even though it had the weird nonlinear structure which should have been two seasons considering they up to case 24. The first case actually spoils the twist if you were paying attention.

Convenience Store Boy Friends would have been fine the way it was except it was brought as a show about seven sets of couples which only two of them were the focus and the other five were nonexistent.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Mys145 wrote:A Centaur's Life being more about its unique world than necessary with the main cast just works for me. Maybe the title of the show should be something else because it seems like that Hime would be the only centaur but that's not the case at all. Also Shiro is Hime's cousin not niece. Hime is an only child and can't be an aunt.

I'm assuming you mean Shino, but yeah that was a mispoke.

Mys145 wrote:Made in Abyss

Spoiler:
Riko should have carried a few more sets of clothes considering how many times she either pee,
puke, or bleed on her clothes. Also Nanashi is a guy. Don't think there's only one trap in a show.

Made in Abyss
Spoiler:
When did they say it was a boy? Technically Chris and I never seen them indicate gender, and we never heard them specify in self reference like "boku" for boy. Unlike Maruruk who couldn't stop saying "boku". Only indication I got was her being comfortable with Riko and not with Regu (Stripping, hugging, etc). But in the end, I went with what Myanimelist was calling her gender-wise. But I'm open to whatever you found.

Mys145 wrote:Princess Principal was a good show even though it had the weird nonlinear structure which should have been two seasons considering they up to case 24. The first case actually spoils the twist if you were paying attention.

It's funny because I never got why people got hung up on the nonlinear structure. I just took it as it exploring each character in jump arounds before going off to the main story. Tons of shows do this, but this one bothered people quite a bit.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, just speaking my chuckle.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Andrew wrote:

Spoiler:

Made in Abyss
Spoiler:
When did they say it was a boy? Technically Chris and I never seen them indicate gender, and we never heard them specify in self reference like "boku" for boy. Unlike Maruruk who couldn't stop saying "boku". Only indication I got was her being comfortable with Riko and not with Regu (Stripping, hugging, etc). But in the end, I went with what Myanimelist was calling her gender-wise. But I'm open to whatever you found.

Spoiler:
They never did say Nanashi's gender was but the hairstyle was more like a guy than a girl's hairstyle.
Also if Nanashi was a girl, wouldn't Nanashi wear a shirt instead of exposing the chest? I did initially think Nanashi was a girl but my friend convinced me otherwise.

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:Princess Principal was a good show even though it had the weird nonlinear structure which should have been two seasons considering they up to case 24. The first case actually spoils the twist if you were paying attention.

It's funny because I never got why people got hung up on the nonlinear structure. I just took it as it exploring each character in jump arounds before going off to the main story. Tons of shows do this, but this one bothered people quite a bit.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, just speaking my chuckle.

I don't mind if the nonlinearity has a point but there's no point with Princess Principal. For example, the original season of Haruhi was nonlinear because they wanted to conceal the nature of Haruhi until the end because it was reveal at the beginning. Another example was Concrete Revolutio when the episodes were cases which they weren't resolved initially but took months or years later in the show timeline to resolve.

I couldn't see any of that with Princess Principal to say that the nonlinearity had a point.

fragoff
I Love Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Mys145 wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Spoiler:

Made in Abyss
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They never did say Nanashi's gender was but the hairstyle was more like a guy than a girl's hairstyle.
Also if Nanashi was a girl, wouldn't Nanashi wear a shirt instead of exposing the chest? I did initially think Nanashi was a girl but my friend convinced me otherwise.

Spoiler:
maybe the fur factor, youngness and transformation (i.e lack of breast) make so that 'it' doesn't really care about being topless or not.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato