344) Kemono Unfriend

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

344) Kemono Unfriend

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am

It’s been a month since their last discussional podcast episode and there has been some big news bits to hit the anime crowd. Join the hosts of the Animecast as they break down events and give their take on what’s been happening to anime.

Topics this episode: Seven Seas launches Ghost Ship, One Room Season 2, Yu of Wolf Children Manga passes, Kud Wafter crowdfunding success, Gundam Twilight Axis film, Little Witch Academia Season 2 possibility, Funimation Dubs for Fall 2017, Sentai Filmworks phases out DVDs, Certain Magical Index Season 3, Amazon Anime Strike Fall Line-up, March Comes In Like A Lion MEXT colab, Welcome to the Ballroom manga delay, Haro mascot is real, Juni Taisen novel sequel, Fate/kaleid Liner new sequel, Norihiro Yagi’s new manga, Solanin Epilogue, One Punch Man staff change, American Life Action Your Name, Kemono Friends staff change, Overlord Season 2 date, New Original from Nozaki-kun staff, ID-0 listed on Netflix, new Crunchyroll streams, licenses, releases, and much more!

Thanks to Companion Kyuubey, QuestRam, Mys145, and BlueSpark for the great questions featured in this episode!

The intro music for this episode is from the Wolf Children Soundtrack called “Cradle of Myriad Stars” by Takagi Masakatsu. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Kemono Friends called “Boku no Friend” by Mewhan.

http://otakuspirit.com/2017/10/animecas ... -unfriend/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 344) Kemono Unfriend

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Correction, I got the title wrong when I was mentioning the silent book girl when discussing Mys145’s question. She was Mio from Little Busters. Not sure why Angel Beats stuck in my head. Though that had Kanade.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am

For once, international fans are getting the better deal with HiDive unlike the US with Anime Strike. It makes me think that HiDive was for more fans outside of the US than the US itself since they are licensing nearly every Anime Strike show to HiDive to the international audience.

I don't think Madhouse isn't doing One Punch Man Season 2 because of the fan reaction but rather of scheduling. It has happened before in the past where a studio did the first season didn't do a second season.

I think Your Name can work as a Hollywood film but I doubt the hardcore anime fans will like it regardless how good it is.

My question didn't say nonhumans but robots. Rei Ayanami would have been an acceptable answer.

Mr Tib
I Like Anime

Postby Mr Tib » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Mys145 wrote:I don't think Madhouse isn't doing One Punch Man Season 2 because of the fan reaction but rather of scheduling. It has happened before in the past where a studio did the first season didn't do a second season.

I think you both are right and it's a combination of both of those things. Now ,I didn't know that the fandom was toxic about the "bad" animation, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. I also believe that the team that did the first season has there schedule full and it would be another year or two, minimum, till they could do a second season, and I think they're scared of getting yelled at for taking so long and nobody caring anymore like with Attack on Titan season 2.

As for the requested feedback. I enjoyed the fairycast and would love to hear more but I have gotten tired of gundam and monogatari series, not because I didn't enjoy them because I haven't watched them and skipped the podcast episode that day so I can understand if people don't want a bunch of podcast episodes about one show.
I also enjoy that you try to cover all the shows in a season and fill us in on things we might have missed but I have tried for a few season now to keep up with all the shows y'all watch and I haven't succeeded yet so I completely understand if yall back off on the amount of shows and watch other things.
Sorry this is a "I don't care either way" answer but I really will be happy with whatever you and/or the community chose.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Mys145 wrote: ::peace::

Plus HiDive has Sentai Filmworks Dubs!

Where is this schedule at? All I know of is Cardcaptor Sakura in Winter (which doesn't have tons of source material for more than a cour) and an original title that hasn't been scheduled. If they wanted to, they could easily schedule it within Spring or Summer.

That said, my comments are more on a thought experiment. There could be a million reasons why, such as disputes, conflicts, etc. Scheduling is the furthest from my mind as studio changes are not that common. Honestly the best bet is budget disagreements. When Madhouse was responding to comments about the quality (good and bad) one tweet that I forgot to mention had said that they did not have a great budget. That the staff was working extra work out of passion for the project. It may be that Madhouse didn't want to face that again and tried to settle on a more logical budget and failed.

Mr Tib wrote: ::peace::

To give you an example, this kind of stuff was weekly:
Spoiler:

Followed by tons of comments about how bad the studio is doing.

Don't worry, this is exactly the feedback we want. I try to keep Gundam reviews and Monogatari reviews in mid-week as not everyone is going to be into them. They are skippable without being void of a podcast weekly.

That said, Monogatari releases will disappear soon as we were trying to push them out in order to get in line with Kizu 3 release and Owari 2 release. There's only so many of them and we're caught up! As for Gundam, it's unavoidable as we get review copies that we have to fulfill. After Gundam Wing, that will probably go quiet for a bit.

I hope, despite not being able to keep up on all the shows, you enjoy our discussion of what you may have missed. It's not our intention that people have to watch everything, but more that we help people in discovery of shows.

Thanks for the feedback! It's greatly appreciated!

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am

*starts reading podcast episode description* Wha... So the intro song was from Wolf Children! That's the first vibe I got, but I thought it was the main theme; when I realized it wasn't, I figured I had it completely wrong. Glad my wolf instincts didn't fail me after all (Chris must've rubbed off on me at some point).

Japanese singing in localized series is a pretty common affair us dub fans have to live with. I'm sure you know as much already; examples would be the Christmas party in Todadora! or the band performance in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Of course, it's much more pronounced in shows that are actually centered around music, such as K-On! or the topic of discussion here, Love Life.

Personally, as much as I can't stand Japanese voice acting, I actually enjoy their singing, so it doesn't bother me much (Still, it can still get rather jarring at first). However, I always welcome dubbing companies' attempts to actually have their VAs do the vocals themselves, like Jad Saxton in the introduction sequence of No-Rin. It's just that little something extra which can help further endear a character to me.

I recently read about the announcement of A Certain Magical Index's season 3. That's exciting news, especially given how both the 1st and the 2nd season of the show ended on a very open note, almost cliffhanger-y. While I'm more of a Railgun fan, personally, I certainly won't say no to a continuation of the Index series.

Yay for talk about some older shows (which are apparently being discovered by broadcasting companies just now)! Although I'm a little bit offended by your pronunciation of Ai Yori Aoshi, I'll let it slide this time ;). This anime was one of my favorite romances for the longest time, so I wholeheartedly recommend it to you, Chris. It's made up to look like a typical harem, but the relationship between the two leads is really established right from the beginning (kinda like in My Love Story). It's simple and sweet, reminiscent of, say, Ah! My Goddess, but the couple is more explicitly committed to one another.

I'll contrast that with Girl Bravo, though – that one's a by-the-book harem ecchi comedy. The banana scene is kind of infamous – a slightly more tame variant of Poppy's popsicle slurping :D.

Also, for what it's worth, I'll throw in my agreement that My-Otome was a huge disappointment to me, as well. Maybe I would've liked it more if I hadn't actually watched My-HiMe; as it stands, though, it annoyed me equally as much as Aria: The Scarlet Ammo AA.

So Your Name is finally coming out early next year? Sounds great :). I've read that there are in fact dubbed versions of the film floating around on the web – probably filmed by hand camera in theaters. I'd rather wait for the Blu-ray than subject myself to that, though :P.

Kyuubey's first question got me thinking when I first read his post. If I had to decide on a favorite anime episode of all time, I would've probably defaulted to one with 'high-impact emotional moments,' just like you. Air was pretty intense in that regard, no doubt about it. However, I would probably have to give it to Clannad After Story's episode 18 with its triple punch to the feels (the grandmother scene, the flower field scene, and the train scene). I was emotionally drained after that.

When Chris mentioned the confession scene in Chunibyo, I immediately had to think of the rooftop scene in episode 8 or 9 (can't recall which one), although it's probably not the one he meant. But it's a picture-perfect example of an anime moment which made me cry from pure joy and relief (as opposed to the sadness which is characteristic for drama series).

I'm 100% with Chris on the comedic potential of kuudere characters. I believe the term you were looking for is "deadpan." When talking about Date a Live, I'm assuming you meant "Origami"? She was totally best girl of the series for me, and a great example of what that archetype can achieve ^_^.

Also, given the plot of her story arc, it's weirdly fitting that you'd have forgotten about Mio Nishizono, Andrew ;). I could never forget the quiet wallflower bookworm, for hers was my favorite arc in the show. Sure enough, she doesn't stand out any more than a pebble on the roadside... But that doesn't mean she can't be loved. Ugh, I feel really sappy after typing out that line...

Thanks for once again indulging me with cross-series shipping. Fun fact: I actually devised the ReLIFE / Psycho-Pass constellation deliberately because there are no loli girls in either series. And of course, Chris had to whimp out on this one :P.

I commend you for the good thinking on the Charlotte / Supernatural Battles pairings. Tomoyo and 'teleport' guy actually sounds like a blast, while Hatako and Misa/Yusa make quite a hot couple (dudumm-tsss!). I would imagine Yuu looking down on Jirai with a bit of comtempt though, given the uselessness of the latter's power :P. But yeah, they'd probably end up growing fond of each other.
I'm a little surprised you didn't pair up Sayumi with Yuu's brother: She'd be able to restore the one thing he couldn't restore himself by using his power. And then he'd truly be able to appreciate her beauty (Man, dancing around spoilers can be fun ;) ).
I am pleased to see that my proposed contraction is beginning to stick ::mischief::. Also, Lucy shall henceforth be known as The Daisuki Killer. They say love is war, after all...

Now for the final point: Given my personal disinterest in airing animes, I of course wouldn't mind you cutting back on the coverage there (The only 'valuable' part for me are the season reviews, once you have formed a complete opinion and let us know how much you enjoyed the shows overall). Unfortunately, I also have minimal interest in battle shounen, especially long-running ones :P. I usually enjoy you two discussing older series, though - either to simply hear your thoughts if I've already watched the show, or to figure out whether it might be for me if I haven't.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

michelous
Crazy About Anime

Postby michelous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Finishing fairy tail will be needed whenever fairy tail final season comes out

Stash Brannigan
I Like Anime

Postby Stash Brannigan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm

What up Crew? This is my response to the finale question.

I really enjoy the way you guys run your episodes for the most part. I generally skip the Gunadam/ gatari reviews because I haven’t watched them, and don’t think I will watch them anytime soon. I understand that they are reviews you need to do so those don’t bother me. I also skip the music episodes as I don’t really have a huge interest in the EPs and Ops, but I know you guys and a lot of the fandom do like those.
I really enjoy the discussion/news/Q&A episodes as they are usually about once a month and I think that is perfect. I also really like when you talk about specific shows even if I haven’t seen them sometimes I will listen then gain an interest
Preview/first impressions/review episodes are a must and I feel like those type of episodes are probably why most people listen to anime me podcasts in general.
I really enjoy the topic focused episodes where you pick out one topic and cover it.
As for doing some review/discussion on older shows like Fairytale I’m all for it. If you were to do more I would like to see more then just Shonen. And when you do Shonen shows I’d like to see it kept to an arc at a time like you did with the previous fairytale episodes. I like the idea of either having each of you take turns picking an anime for the other to watch then covering the whole anime in one episode. Or maybe taking fan votes on a show we would like to see covered.
I have no idea how much time goes into the podcast so I’m. It sure what’s feasible, but I think I’d be all for you guys dropping the shows you really are not that Into. But I do know that the one of the big reason I enjoy your podcast so much is because you guys pretty much talk about every show, most anime podcasts don’t, so I know that even if I like a show that’s not popular, you guys will speak on it and I want to hear someone discuss the shows I watch. So if you start dropping shows I know that there will be some people out there that won’t get to hear anything about the show they like covered. The only way I can think to help out is maybe having some forums members or something guest spot on the review episodes. Every show of the season has its own forums thread so if there’s a show you guys are not watching maybe someone from the forumns can call in or even send a recording talking about that show for you guys to cut into the episode. Then maybe there would be more time to cover older anime.
Or the only other thing I can think of is maybe changing the podcast outline. Doing news and discussion/Q & A/ topic / review segments in every episode. I know that format is utilized by a lot of another anime podcasts so I’m sure if that’s something you’d be interested in. I know it’s nice to have something that keeps you apart from what everyone else is doing.
I do know that I definitely do not want to see the review/preview/first impression/discussion/topic episodes go away. As a fan I wish I could have it all but I understand that time does not permit you guys to make everyone happy. So if there is a way for you guys to do it all. I’m all for it. I actually like the idea of talking more then just one thing per episode.
I listen to a few anime podcast and they all bring something different to the table. The thing that I like about you guys is that you guys take on the whole season so I know I will hear about all the shows I’m interested in and you guys are not overly harsh even when being critical. For anime focused podcast I listen to You guys, anime arcade, AAA, And ANN. Each one has a different flavor so I don’t want you guys to lose your flavor, that’s why I come back every week and joined the forums community.

Star-K
Anime Junky

Postby Star-K » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm

I can believe Anime Strike picked up so many shows I was looking forward to, I guess I'll mostly be there instead of Chrunchyroll this season.
All I'm hoping for is that One Punch Man season 2 will come out really soon, since J. C. Staff has it I'm looking forward to a new/similar style, my only concern is the action, because the action in OPM is so amazing, here's hoping that they can pull it off.
One Room Season 2 is unexpected but I welcome it with open arms, I enjoyed the first season, and the new voice actors are so promising, I mean we get Rem and Emilia/Megumin:).
I'm excited for the new Fate Kaleid, I just hope we get the movie before it comes here, I also need to watch the rest of the Fates soon.
There's a difference between striking the iron while it's hot and striking the iron while it's still heating up, at least give it 3-5 years before adapting Your Name, I mean I'll watch it, but still it's too soon, my only relief is that JJ Abrems is working on it, here's hoping for a good adaptation. I also need to watch Your Name before watching the adaptation (-_-)

As a listener of the OS Podcast, I don't think you need to watch everything that comes out every season, there is too many shows for two people to watch, and not everyone watches everything, it is nice when you guys review old shows.
Anyways, great podcast keep up the great work.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:24 pm

BlueSpark wrote:*starts reading podcast episode description* Wha... So the intro song was from Wolf Children! That's the first vibe I got, but I thought it was the main theme; when I realized it wasn't, I figured I had it completely wrong. Glad my wolf instincts didn't fail me after all (Chris must've rubbed off on me at some point).

I felt it would be a nice gesture to Yu's passing. The feels when putting that in the cast was strong. RIP.

BlueSpark wrote:Japanese singing in localized series is a pretty common affair us dub fans have to live with. I'm sure you know as much already; examples would be the Christmas party in Todadora! or the band performance in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Of course, it's much more pronounced in shows that are actually centered around music, such as K-On! or the topic of discussion here, Love Life.

That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying. Oddly enough, I can see it in Haruhi, but odd that they did that with Toradora. I can see it standing out as odd much more with K-On though..

BlueSpark wrote:Also, for what it's worth, I'll throw in my agreement that My-Otome was a huge disappointment to me, as well. Maybe I would've liked it more if I hadn't actually watched My-HiMe; as it stands, though, it annoyed me equally as much as Aria: The Scarlet Ammo AA.

Oh dear goodness, don't remind me of AA.... *sigh*

BlueSpark wrote:Kyuubey's first question got me thinking when I first read his post. If I had to decide on a favorite anime episode of all time, I would've probably defaulted to one with 'high-impact emotional moments,' just like you. Air was pretty intense in that regard, no doubt about it. However, I would probably have to give it to Clannad After Story's episode 18 with its triple punch to the feels (the grandmother scene, the flower field scene, and the train scene). I was emotionally drained after that.

I was going to mention Clannad, but couldn't remember where it was at. Though there was a lot of impactful scenes in that show.. it kind of is a run-on emotion train for me lol..

BlueSpark wrote:Also, given the plot of her story arc, it's weirdly fitting that you'd have forgotten about Mio Nishizono, Andrew ;). I could never forget the quiet wallflower bookworm, for hers was my favorite arc in the show. Sure enough, she doesn't stand out any more than a pebble on the roadside... But that doesn't mean she can't be loved. Ugh, I feel really sappy after typing out that line...

So you can chop up my forgetfulness as role playing! Right?

BlueSpark wrote:Thanks for once again indulging me with cross-series shipping. Fun fact: I actually devised the ReLIFE / Psycho-Pass constellation deliberately because there are no loli girls in either series. And of course, Chris had to whimp out on this one :P.

We haven't seen Psycho-pass yet. At least not in its entirety for myself. So you'll have to forgive!

BlueSpark wrote:Lucy shall henceforth be known as The Daisuki Killer. They say love is war, after all...

It seems every shipfest turns out a new phrase or word to add to the Webster Dictionary...

BlueSpark wrote:Now for the final point: Given my personal disinterest in airing animes, I of course wouldn't mind you cutting back on the coverage there (The only 'valuable' part for me are the season reviews, once you have formed a complete opinion and let us know how much you enjoyed the shows overall). Unfortunately, I also have minimal interest in battle shounen, especially long-running ones :P. I usually enjoy you two discussing older series, though - either to simply hear your thoughts if I've already watched the show, or to figure out whether it might be for me if I haven't.

Thanks for the feedback! It seems many don't mind the cutback, and that's a huge relief. While it's not as if we'll drop much, it's good to know that we shouldn't stress over not covering EVERYTHING. And I want to make older show watching a regular thing, not just Gundam. Thanks again for the feedback and BIG POST! ^_^