347) Gilgamesh Does ASMR

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

347) Gilgamesh Does ASMR

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:52 am

The hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are back to break down the biggest anime news of the last two weeks. Listen in and find out their thoughts on anime growth, Miyazaki’s movie title, crowdfunding initiatives, and other bits of news.

Topics this episode: Evangelion Anima, Grandblue Fantasy Anime Season 2, Kokkoku Moment by Moment Anime, Netflix Rankings and initiatives, Yasuhiro Irie Kickstarter, Ore ga Suki nano wa imouto Anime, School-Live Manga, Scum’s Wish Manga, Kud Wafter International Crowdfunding, High School DxD Season 4, Takunomi Anime, AJA Anime Heath, Broccoli drop, Re:Creators Magane Manga, KyoAni’s Tsurune Adaptation, Miyazaki’s New Film, Testament of Sister New Devil OVA, Umaru-chan new Character, LiSA illness, Kemono Friends’ Director new Short, and much more!

Thanks to Star-K, fragoff, Yumemi Star, and MyBalls for the great questions featured in this episode!

The intro music for this episode is called “Kizukeyo Baby” by THE ORAL CIGARETTES and is available on iTunes. The outro music for this episode is from the anime Fuuka called “For You” by Lynn and is available on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/10/animecas ... does-asmr/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

MyBalls
I Love Anime

Re: 347) Gilgamesh Does ASMR

Postby MyBalls » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 am

Wow... thank you guys for the ideas for "children-animes"... I gonna test it out to what she responds better.

Maybe later I will make a list, what is best in what ages, based on my experience ::mischief::

Chris:
You asked, what wen´t wrong, why the parrents aren´t anime-addicted...
I was not the one "in charge" at the time... thats what went wrong ::pff::

So I will correct the "time-line-error" by educating my grandchild in animu ::peace::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am

MyBalls wrote:Wow... thank you guys for the ideas for "children-animes"... I gonna test it out to what she responds better.

Maybe later I will make a list, what is best in what ages, based on my experience ::mischief::

Chris:
You asked, what wen´t wrong, why the parrents aren´t anime-addicted...
I was not the one "in charge" at the time... thats what went wrong ::pff::

So I will correct the "time-line-error" by educating my grandchild in animu ::peace::

I think that would be fantastic. We get asked A LOT on what shows people can show their younger kids, and it’s hard to have an answer for it. Yes, there’s the typical responses like “Pokémon!” and “Ghibli”, but nothing really much outside of that. Hopefully Crunchyroll will make my kid genre button some day :p

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am

The broccoli sales have dropped off? Good thing I invested in tomato stocks a while back. Wait... isn't red a bad color when it comes to finances ::shocked::?

Leave it to Chris to develop a morbid fascination into a 'conspiracy theory' concerning Miyazaki :P. Just kidding, though; death is something we all have to face one day, and we shouldn't bar ourselves from making jokes about it as long as it's all in good fun. That's my take on it, at least.
This loosely reminds me of a thread on Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm forums I recently read. It was titled "You died. How did you die?". Lots of humorous answers in there, going in all possible directions. I replied with "Slipped on a banana peel and fell into an open manhole."

Always great to hear older shows like Full Metal Panic! resurfacing on streaming sites so newer fans may enjoy them. FMP in particular is considered a fantastic gateway anime, covering a wide spectrum of genres; maybe some new folks will stumble upon it and find it a delightful entry into the medium.

Girls Dead Monster was the band from Angel Beats!, wasn't it? Yup, I just checked. Booyah. Sorry, I can't really contribute more than that to the topic because I'm not much of a band music fan.

The concept of ASMR was completely foreign to me – thanks for clarifying what it is (Now I'm creeped out). I do think, however, that I've actually experienced the type of sensation in question here – when someone's voice is so calming and soothing it might just put you into a peaceful slumber. I get that every time I watch / listen to Bob Ross in The Joy of Painting (may he rest in peace). Also, some radio or talk show hosts have these amazingly calming voices which almost give me goosebumps. It feels pretty nice, actually ::onsen::.

If you're talking about different studios adapting the same original work (albeit a hypothetical question in this case), you shouldn't overlook Negima – a series which has even gained relevance again due to the unexpected (?) airing of a 2nd season. The Xebec and Shaft adaptations were released only 1 year apart from each other. I liked both, although the work by Shaft goes so bonkers with its comedy it feels more like a parody of the original to me. I hope the new season eventually gets picked up by a dubbing studio :).

I guess Shou Tucker is a pretty horrible father figure. Then again, at least he didn't lock his daughter up in a tiny cage. Or force her to pose in the nude in front of him. There's a lot of screwed-up people in anime. Who's to judge them? Oh, that's right. Kira is.

So, When They Cry isn't going to work for a 3-year-old? But they're being nice and playing cards at schooool... Oh Well, then maybe Madoka Magi... No? But how about School-Li... Darn it, Andrew! You and your child-rearing-appropriate ways :P!

Lastly: Is there any way I could send you guys a one-time donation instead of signing up for Patreon? I have a completely irrational and paranoid aversion to paid monthly subscriptions, but I'd still like to support you. PayPal would be the only option I know of which allows easy cross-country transactions, though.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:39 pm

BlueSpark wrote:unyaa

Andrew wrote:oi

Send a pm to Andy I think he can do that. I get your paranoia.

::happy::

Thanks for the support I hope we keep making it worth it to you.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am

BlueSpark wrote:This loosely reminds me of a thread on Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm forums I recently read. It was titled "You died. How did you die?". Lots of humorous answers in there, going in all possible directions. I replied with "Slipped on a banana peel and fell into an open manhole."

I sort of want my way of going to be funny and not some boring standard way. Like.. "heart failure" versus "got out of the shower, sneezed, headbutted a power socket, wet forehead made a connection, fried". What sounds more long lasting and stand-outish?

BlueSpark wrote:The concept of ASMR was completely foreign to me – thanks for clarifying what it is (Now I'm creeped out). I do think, however, that I've actually experienced the type of sensation in question here – when someone's voice is so calming and soothing it might just put you into a peaceful slumber. I get that every time I watch / listen to Bob Ross in The Joy of Painting (may he rest in peace). Also, some radio or talk show hosts have these amazingly calming voices which almost give me goosebumps. It feels pretty nice, actually.

Going to go out on a stretch and say I'm not one of those calming voices :P Could experiment with it (well, we've done our NPR voices before) but the reverse will probably happen. It'll cause goosebumps of the "creepy!" response.

BlueSpark wrote:If you're talking about different studios adapting the same original work (albeit a hypothetical question in this case), you shouldn't overlook Negima – a series which has even gained relevance again due to the unexpected (?) airing of a 2nd season. The Xebec and Shaft adaptations were released only 1 year apart from each other. I liked both, although the work by Shaft goes so bonkers with its comedy it feels more like a parody of the original to me. I hope the new season eventually gets picked up by a dubbing studio :).

Well, technically there are tons of cases of other studios picking up where another studio left off (it's happening now with One Punch Man and HS DxD). I figured the question was more like three studios adapting the same story side by side. Like, Volume 1-12 of a manga in the same season. I don't remember Shaft and Xebec adapting the same story/arc?

BlueSpark wrote:I guess Shou Tucker is a pretty horrible father figure. Then again, at least he didn't lock his daughter up in a tiny cage. Or force her to pose in the nude in front of him. There's a lot of screwed-up people in anime. Who's to judge them? Oh, that's right. Kira is.

I guess "it could have been worst" is always a response to these sort of scenarios. Hah..

BlueSpark wrote:So, When They Cry isn't going to work for a 3-year-old? But they're being nice and playing cards at schooool... Oh Well, then maybe Madoka Magi... No? But how about School-Li... Darn it, Andrew! You and your child-rearing-appropriate ways :P!

What's so great is that each of those start to cheery. I'm sure an uninformed parent could totally peak the first bit and think "Yeah! My kid will love this!" Like, Yuki Yuna even. "Oh this is so adora- OH GAH NO!!!!"

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't remember Shaft and Xebec adapting the same story/arc?
*cue buzzer sound* They did, in fact. Although the two series differ in focus, and quite vastly at some points, both studios' adaptations essentially cover the beginning of the story. It's the only case of its kind that I know of (excluding cases of "movie plus series done by different studios," like with Air or Clannad).

I was thinking of bringing up the "continuation by a different studio" case by pointing to Rozen Maiden, where I strongly preferred the 3rd season. But I figured it had no actual bearing on the question, just like you said.

Andrew wrote:What's so great is that each of those start to cheery. I'm sure an uninformed parent could totally peak the first bit and think "Yeah! My kid will love this!" Like, Yuki Yuna even. "Oh this is so adora- OH GAH NO!!!!"
:D Some kids will develop a lifelong panic-inducing phobia of cute little mascots. Or cute little dogs. Or rice balls.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

BlueSpark wrote:*cue buzzer sound* They did, in fact. Although the two series differ in focus, and quite vastly at some points, both studios' adaptations essentially cover the beginning of the story. It's the only case of its kind that I know of (excluding cases of "movie plus series done by different studios," like with Air or Clannad).

Just reminded me, Kyoto and Toei doing Kanon. Though I think re adapting is a different case. Similar to Legend of the Galactic Hero most likely.

Also, we don’t talk about Air Movie.

BlueSpark wrote: :D Some kids will develop a lifelong panic-inducing phobia of cute little mascots. Or cute little dogs. Or rice balls.

Important life long lessons. One should always be leery of cute girls showing up late in the evening with rice balls.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:11 am

Andrew wrote:Also, we don’t talk about Air Movie.
Do I run the risk of being clobbered when I say I actually liked that movie more than the series overall ^^*?

Andrew wrote:Important life long lessons. One should always be leery of cute girls showing up late in the evening with rice balls.
More so when they're standing outside your house in the rain, looking up at your window. That girl is not a suitable playmate, sweety. Better stay inside today.

Companion Kyuubey
I Love Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Enjoyed the podcast guys!

I just want to throw this out to Andrew and Chris.

https://myfigurecollection.net/browse.v ... omainId=-1

If I am looking for a figure of a specific character or series, myfigurecollection.net has a POWERFUL search tool. Play around with that a little and see if you can find what you're looking for. If it is something that isn't readily available anymore, members of the site sell some of the collection from time to time and you can get notifications when that figure shows up for sale (I have bought several older/rarer figures this way and have only had positive exchanges since people on this site love figures and take care of them and want to share that love with others). My (too big) collection is linked in my signature.
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection