348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 am

Image
The Fall 2017 Anime Season is in full speed and the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to give their take on what shows are doing great, and which are falling flat. Listen in to possibly find a gem you may be missing!

Anime Featured in this Episode: The Ancient Magus’ Bride, Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond, Black Clover, Food Wars The Third Plate, Dies Irae, Juni Taisen Zodiac War, Inuyashiki, Just Because, Kino’s Journey The Beautiful World, King’s Game, Girls’ Last Tour, Love Is Like A Cocktail, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Himouto Umaru-chan R, A Sister Is All You Need, My Girlfriend is Shobitch, Blend S, UQ Holder, March Comes In Like A Lion 2, Land of the Lustrous, Konohana Kitan, Love Live Sunshine 2, Vanishing Line, Anime-gataris, Urahara, Two Car, Evil or Live, The Idomaster Side M, Wake Up Girls 2, and Yuki Yuna is a Hero Washio Chapter.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Land of the Lustrous called “Kyoumen no Nami” by YURiKA which can be found on iTunes. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond called “Step Up Love” by DAOKO and Yasuyuki Okamura which can be found on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/11/animecas ... pressions/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Mys145 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 am

I have gotten used to Astra's yelling in Black Clover but I wouldn't mind if he was toned down though. I still rather listen to him than a dub of him anyday (which includes Goku also since I prefer the Japanese VA than the American one).

I wouldn't worry too much about Inuyashiki in terms of good people being out there since Gantz does have more than one good person in the story.

I wonder what world Andrew has been living in since he believes that people make smart decisions in horror. I think the whole point of horror is that they are so scared that they can't think straight at all.

I really don't mind if cute girls say sexual jokes like in A Sister Is All You Need and My Girlfriend is Shobitch. It's a change of pace of all the repressed girls who get embarrassed at the slightest sexual thing. A Sister is All You Need I would say that it doesn't gone the route of a sister show it would have. There's an alternate title for My Girlfriend is Shobitch which is My Girlfriend is Too Much to Handle since Andrew doesn't want to say the original title.

Phos isn't the most brittle in Land of the Lustrous. She (I'm calling her a she) is second only to Cinnabar.

I didn't see the girls being more genki in Love Live Sunshine 2 like you guys have. I thought they were like they are usually.

The thing about Negima is that the anime only covered a small portion of the manga which was harem focused before it turned into a shounen manga. So UQ Holder being mostly shounen isn't weird at all.

Zaruba isn't the one who provides the armor to Sword. There's a contract involved which really doesn't matter. I should mention that Makai Alchemists is incorrect but should be Makai Priests. This translation has persisted back to the first Garo anime which if you listen to the Japanese, they used the Japanese term for priest not alchemist.

I think the first episode of Two-Car is ahead of the other four? episodes (I haven't watched the most one yet but going to say it does). What do you need to learn about racing besides the side-cars themselves? I think they have done a good job describing that aspect without being confused at all.

I'm still watching Evil or Live so I will tell you if it actually has a chapter end unlike some other Haoliners works.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 am

Mys145 wrote: ::peace::

Horror: Stupid me (lol). Though to my defense, people in terrifying situations also all don't have psychotic split personalities.

Shobitch: I don't mind saying it, I just blipped it because I'm not going to get our podcast flagged mature just because of a dumb title. I'll probably just call it "Sho B" from now on. Because I don't want to confuse people with any alternate titles.

Cute Girls Saying Sexual Things: I agree that it's refreshing having female characters that don't run beat red all the time, but at the same time, it as the character's defining trait is the problem. I want more to them than a very thin book of sex jokes repeated and nothing else to them. Though that's a bit of a different story for Shobitch, as it's a comedy and it's obviously its focus punchline. At which that point, it's simply not my sort of desired comedy (at least 100% concentration of it) and not particularly a fault of the show.

Garo: Thanks for the clarification. I have no clue what the Makai stuff is you speak of, so I hope it's not important lol..

Two Car: Yes, all evidence to me says that episode 1 was a look forward. Because it seems like no one knows each other going into the other episodes. As for learning side-car comment, I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe Chris said something I missed.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Mys145 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Garo: Thanks for the clarification. I have no clue what the Makai stuff is you speak of, so I hope it's not important lol..

Two Car: Yes, all evidence to me says that episode 1 was a look forward. Because it seems like no one knows each other going into the other episodes. As for learning side-car comment, I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe Chris said something I missed.


The only thing you should know about Makai is that it's basically the other world where most of the Horrors reside in.

It was Chris was saying that he thought the side-car part wasn't being explained well enough for him.

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2174
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Mys145 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Garo: Thanks for the clarification. I have no clue what the Makai stuff is you speak of, so I hope it's not important lol..

Two Car: Yes, all evidence to me says that episode 1 was a look forward. Because it seems like no one knows each other going into the other episodes. As for learning side-car comment, I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe Chris said something I missed.


The only thing you should know about Makai is that it's basically the other world where most of the Horrors reside in.

It was Chris was saying that he thought the side-car part wasn't being explained well enough for him.


Don’t think I said it wasn’t well explained I’ll have to relisten but I believe I was saying they were not doing the explanation well. Meaning they were not incorporating it well enough into the story. I remember several scenes of two “announcer” girls giving expository on how side cars work.
Image

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 am

I think I put that in my first impressions, but yes, I agree on the notion that the announcer segments are just too much in my opinion. Doesn’t help that I’ve never really cared for announcers in shows.

I much prefer the crowd or onlookers commenting versus a hyper loud person giving me drawn out explanations. They generally have connections to the characters and can kill two birds with one stone.

Mys145 wrote:The only thing you should know about Makai is that it's basically the other world where most of the Horrors reside in.

Ah, copy that. Thanks for the clarify.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Mys145 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 am

Andrew wrote:I think I put that in my first impressions, but yes, I agree on the notion that the announcer segments are just too much in my opinion. Doesn’t help that I’ve never really cared for announcers in shows.

I much prefer the crowd or onlookers commenting versus a hyper loud person giving me drawn out explanations. They generally have connections to the characters and can kill two birds with one stone.


I'm glad that you gave another way for them to do the explanations instead of just not liking the current way and not to give better ways to do it. I do like the crazy announcer characters since they are the most natural fit to explain things in a competition. As for the two announcers in Twin Car, I don't really care for the airhead but I do like the "hyper" one especially that she isn't hyper when there isn't an active mic on.

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

Mys145 wrote:..but I do like the "hyper" one especially that she isn't hyper when there isn't an active mic on.

Haha, I will admit I do like that aspect of her. Even though I generally don't like that trait when used elsewhere (IE the overly used happy and kind lady that turns a corner, lights a cigarette, and starts bickering in a low angry voice).
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 am

Andrew wrote:I agree that it's refreshing having female characters that don't run beat red all the time
Wow, I didn't even know beat red was a thing until now. Although I would assume that you meant beet-red :P?

I don't quite remember what you called the vampire in your Negima preview (and I'm too lazy to check now), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Evangeline." And she's the only vampire in the series. Just pointing it out, not a big deal.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 348) Fall 2017 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Andrew wrote:I agree that it's refreshing having female characters that don't run beat red all the time
Wow, I didn't even know beat red was a thing until now. Although I would assume that you meant beet-red :P?

I don't quite remember what you called the vampire in your Negima preview (and I'm too lazy to check now), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Evangeline." And she's the only vampire in the series. Just pointing it out, not a big deal.

"I don't think that means what you think it means"

*At that moment he had two choices*
*1.Play it off as "No, I meant beat red" with sun glasses emote*
*2.Blame it on auto correct*

*AHEM!*

Not sure what you mean by the second part. She's known by many names including that? But hey, I haven't seen the original in forever so you probably know better than I.

*yes, he ignored making a decision*
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694