350) Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

350) Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Jumping head first into the world of bishounen mecha, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast review the much talked about Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Does its two-director work manifestation still hold up today?

As mentioned in the podcast, this copy of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collection Blu-ray was provided to us for review by Sunrise and Right Stuf.

The opening of this episode is the OP for Gundam Wing called “Just Communication” by TWO-MIX. The closing for this episode is the ED for Gundam Wing called “It’s Just Love” by Lumi Ohishi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/11/animecas ... ndam-wing/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 350) Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Gundam Wing is cra...Once again, Gundam Wing is shi...Okay, it suficie to say that I REALLY don't like Wing, in fact it's my least favorite Gundam show of all time.
Sooooo, no discussion from me this time.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

DestroyerGX
Anime Junky

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

I thought, though, that the central theme of total pacifism was ultimately pseudophilosophical babble, since ultimately it could only be defended through force of arms. Also, Zechs went Char's route, more or less, in a shorter span than Char went through in 14 years.

I thought the world of GW at first, since it was my very first Gundam series, but now it has dropped down considerably after seeing both older and newer series.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:Image
Gundam Wing is cra...Once again, Gundam Wing is shi...Okay, it suficie to say that I REALLY don't like Wing, in fact it's my least favorite Gundam show of all time.

The Seal of Approval is tainted if you give it out to shows that you don't like.

I'm just curious if you guys watched this dub or sub because I doubt the sub would have those terrible lines that the English dub has.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

Mys145 wrote:
Kocurek1944 wrote:Image

The Seal of Approval is tainted if you give it out to shows that you don't like.

I'm just curious if you guys watched this dub or sub because I doubt the sub would have those terrible lines that the English dub has.

Seal is token of appreciation for people spreading awareness about mecha shows and culture surrounding them, not a sign of me agreeing or disagreeing with opinions presented in the podcast.

I was watching subbed version and it still had all the cheesy lines.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

DestroyerGX
Anime Junky

Postby DestroyerGX » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I watched in both sub and dub. And I agree with kocurek: still pretty cheesy lines.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Zechs and Duo save this show for me. It isn't that good but I don't hate it.

HEERO! I"M RIGHT HERE SO COME AND KILL ME!
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm

When I heard you guys were going to review Gundam Wing, I decided to finish up watching before i listened to the podcast.

Story-wise, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Our Gundam pilots go from weak-tea (Quatre) to Bat-Crap crazy (Heero and Wu-Fei) leaving Duo and Trowa in the sensible middle, except for the whole circus thing. A circus?!?!?!?

It's a constantly shifting set of alliances and priorities that needs a program, or flow chart to follow. Zechs and Trieze with their foils Noin and "Lady" Une are incomprhensible. everyone has their own idea of how to achieve peace, including Zechs' anime standard: "In order to achieve peace, you pretty much have to kill everyone"

Relena seemed to try to navigate this mess in good faith. But why does she feel the need to intimidate parrots?!?!?!?

So, yeah, didn't make an iota of sense, but ended up enjoying it quite a bit. And for the record, not making sense is not, by any stretch a deal-killer. "Bride of Frankenstein" is one of the great classics of horror, and it makes not one bit of sense....

Enjoyed hearing your take on the show :)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Gundam Wing is cra...Once again, Gundam Wing is shi...Okay, it suficie to say that I REALLY don't like Wing, in fact it's my least favorite Gundam show of all time.

Haha, thanks as always for the seal of approval anyhow. They can't always catch our hearts. Hope it was an enjoyable cast to listen to despite that!

DestroyerGX wrote:I thought, though, that the central theme of total pacifism was ultimately pseudophilosophical babble, since ultimately it could only be defended through force of arms. Also, Zechs went Char's route, more or less, in a shorter span than Char went through in 14 years.

I thought the world of GW at first, since it was my very first Gundam series, but now it has dropped down considerably after seeing both older and newer series.

Sadly I think that was the point of it. She was being made out to be a hypocrite when people fought for her, despite their desire to protect her.

At least someone follows me on the Char comparison haha. Though, Gundam has never shied from having tons of Char look-alikes, this one just had everything going for him.

For sure, Gundam Wing is not my favorite Gundam overall. But I still got plenty from it. One of these days, we'll be doing an All-Stars Gundam cast where we rank them haha..

Mys145 wrote:The Seal of Approval is tainted if you give it out to shows that you don't like.

Hehe, I've never gotten that the Seals were him agreeing with our opinions.

We watched the Sub for it's entirety. Although we did watch a few scenes on dub to test it out. I liked it for the most part, but do acknowledge the horror that is General Septem. But as far as I can tell, the dub is similarly cheesy. Keep in mind, for those that don't know, this dub is the original and Right Stuf did not redub it.

Neko wrote:When I heard you guys were going to review Gundam Wing, I decided to finish up watching before i listened to the podcast.

Story-wise, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Our Gundam pilots go from weak-tea (Quatre) to Bat-Crap crazy (Heero and Wu-Fei) leaving Duo and Trowa in the sensible middle, except for the whole circus thing. A circus?!?!?!?

It's a constantly shifting set of alliances and priorities that needs a program, or flow chart to follow. Zechs and Trieze with their foils Noin and "Lady" Une are incomprhensible. everyone has their own idea of how to achieve peace, including Zechs' anime standard: "In order to achieve peace, you pretty much have to kill everyone"

Relena seemed to try to navigate this mess in good faith. But why does she feel the need to intimidate parrots?!?!?!?

So, yeah, didn't make an iota of sense, but ended up enjoying it quite a bit. And for the record, not making sense is not, by any stretch a deal-killer. "Bride of Frankenstein" is one of the great classics of horror, and it makes not one bit of sense....

Enjoyed hearing your take on the show :)

Haha, glad we could at least help you get a title off your watch list. Glad you enjoyed it a bit.

At least the circus act bagged him a solid girl!... and some lions?

Hey, reset button victory and cleansing is both psychotically logical and sound.

Man.. you randomly made me want to watch Young Frankenstein.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694