354) Revolutionary Girl Utena

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

354) Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Every fan has their pile of shame, but then there’s the pile of deathly shame. Join the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast as they finally watch one of the most highly spoken about series by Ikuhara, Revolutionary Girl Utena.

As mentioned in the podcast, these copies of Revolutionary Girl Utena Part 1-3 Blu-rays were provided to us for review by Nozomi Entertainment and Right Stuf.

The opening for this episode is the OP for Revolutionary Girl Utena called “Rinbu Revolution” by Masami Okui. The closing for this episode is the ED for Revolutionary Girl Utena called “Truth” by Luca Yumi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/11/animecas ... irl-utena/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: 354) Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of my favorites TV series of all time and Kunihiko Ikuhara is one of my favorite directors.

Utena touches topics that are source of heated debate today.Gender roles in society, homosexuality, incest(best depiction of incest in anime) or women emancipation.

Spoiler talk time(everything below is my opinion and analysis)
Spoiler:
On repeating and formulaic nature of visuals:
For me it symbolised that Ohtori Academy is stuck in time loop of sorts.There is always rose bride, a fiance and a contender.Same events playing out with different faces in main roles.Clocks don't exist, seasons don't change and Maki stopwatch is the only sign that the concept of time even exist.

On Anthy:
while Utena is the main protagonist of the show I think Anthy is the central person and understanding her charachter arc is a key to understanding large portion of Utena themes.Whole story is basically tale of Himemiya emancipation.She goes from being enslaved doll in possession of duelist to being an actual individual with desires and goals.

On the ending:
I absolutely loved it.For me it was perfect ending:surprising, powerful, satisfying, relevant to the show's themes, resolving most conflicts established in the show and gorgeously animated and directed.

Juri was definitely my favorite character outside of Utena.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Re: 354) Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:42 am

Identical drawn-out magical girl transformation sequences on crack - that sounds suspiciously like Penguindrum. Those were so obnoxious that I started skipping them after the 2nd time :P.

The dark themes make it sound rather interesting, I have to say. But I'm still unsure whether the whole concept of the series is something that's for me.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!