355) Miyazaki is Tsundere for CGI

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

355) Miyazaki is Tsundere for CGI

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 am

The list of interesting news is piling up and that means it’s time for another Otaku Spirit Animecast discussional. Join the hosts as they run through the best and then dive into the community questions box!

Topics this episode: Amanchu, Studio Ghibli, Fakku, Sanzigen, Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia, Spice and Wolf, Rin-Ne, No Game No Life, Light Novels, School-Live, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade, Hayao Miyazaki, Funimation, Dragon Ball Super, Cardcaptor Sakura, Back Street Girls, and much more!

Thanks to Lulink, Companion Kyuubey, dmachinee, MyBalls, and Mys145 for the great questions featured in this episode!

The intro music for this episode is called “Club Ki3ε” by Sawano Hiroyuki which can be downloaded from iTunes. The outro music for this episode is called “Rupture” by Panorama Panama Town which can be downloaded from iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2017/12/animecas ... e-for-cgi/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 355) Miyazaki is Tsundere for CGI

Postby Mys145 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm

You guys tried so hard to answer my question but failed so hard. I have to admit that it's my fault to try to type out the pronunciation and should have gave a time code of the episode that Chris mispronounced it. So the episode in question for the mispronunciation of Naruto was episode 353 around 1:24:45. Chris said it wrong which Andrew then said it wrong even though earlier in the episode that Andrew was pronouncing correctly. That pronunciation has been said by other people who should know better.

I would like another attempt from you guys at this question since you didn't really answer it based on misinterpretation and didn't answer the part on what Japanese words you get annoyed by people constantly mispronouncing.

Mr Tib
I Like Anime

Postby Mr Tib » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Andrew: "I'm have a hard time deciding my favorites this year between made in abyss, march comes in like a lion, and showa genroku."
Chris: "Oh, ya that was this year too, but we didn't count it last year right?"
Andrew: "Ya because it continued into winter this year. . . No it was a split core so it would have counted in winter 2018. So we might have given an award to the first season but not the second."
Chris: "Also wasn't Re:Zero this year too?"
Andrew: "Ya it was, thanks for reminding me. Now it probably third and the other two will fight it out"

Chris. Andrew. Go home guys. Your drunk. I know 2016 was a bad year, but can't just grab the good shows from last year and throw them in this year. Jokes aside, I wanted to make some corrections just incase someone didn't know. Showa genroku rakugo shinju season 1 was in winter 2016. Re:Zero stared in spring 2016 and continued into summer 2016. If you want Chis and Andrews thoughts they are in last years deliberations. And just incase, march comes in like a lion season 1 started fall 2016 and continued into winter 2017 so it did not qualify last year but dose this year along with Made in abyss which was in summer 2017. I know the majority of people who are going to see this already know all this but I used to be (and sometimes still is) the one person who doesn't know, so this is here just incase.

I thought I'd chime in on Lulinks question. It sound like my sister has similar taste and her favorite show is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which I recommend for this situation. I usually don't like suggesting one of the best of the best to start off with so you still have something really good to look forward to, but since this is a "I want to show her it's cool" situation and I think it meets most of the criteria, Brotherhood should fit the bill quite nicely. I think brotherhood has a French dub too, but don't quote me on that. Now if you think subtitles aren't a problem I recomend showa genroku more because I think it's a better representation of "animation is not just for kids".

Andrew the Kyoto animation shows is myriad colors phantom world. Also I agree don't give her that.

Now about mys145s question, I think you guys figured what he was talking about at the end. The pronunciations I think he was going for are the Japanese, na-lu-do vs English, nar-u-to. The main difference being the U were the first makes a sound like OO (as in you) and the second makes a sound like the U in under. As for the "other people", there are two sides just like dub vs sub and more than likely they're the same people.
And to answer the question, yes I find it a little annoying at times but sometimes you just need to let Chris pronounce the Gundam Barbatos as the tropical island Barbados.

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 am

So the Spice and Wolf manga series is finally coming to an end? While others may find this regrettable, it's a good thing for me – I've been holding off on volumes 11 and onwards in order to binge-read the rest once the series is concluded. Looks like I won't have to wait for too much longer (probably sometime around mid-2018 until the English version becomes available) :).

"That other work from the mangaka of A Silent Voice... I can't think of the name... I'm killing myself." Pardon, Andrew, but I thought that was already in A Silent Voice?
Spoiler:
In case the joke didn't hit, I'm talking about the "I'm killing myself" part. Yeeeaaah... Was that too morbid :P?

When Andrew started talking about words, letters, and how these transfer over to Japanese, I felt the compulsive need to interject something. But he eventually got on the right track by mentioning syllables ;).
From what I can tell – mostly conjecture based on personal experience, plus some reading on Wikipedia a while ago – the Japanese language doesn't use letters at all. The basis for their words (in the realm of katakana, at least) are linguistic units which are very close to syllables (called "Moren" in German). More precisely, they're all open syllables (which means they end in a vowel). The only 'odd' exception, from our western perspective on syllables, is the Japanese 'n' which functions as a syllable despite not containing a vowel. That's why, in Romanized transcription, 'n' is the only letter you'll ever see at the end of a Japanese word.
Uh... what do you mean, rambling? Oh, yeah, I guess you're right – I'll shut up now (especially since it's not directly related to the original question, anyway) ;).
Last edited by BlueSpark on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am

Mys145 wrote:You guys tried so hard to answer my question but failed so hard. I have to admit that it's my fault to try to type out the pronunciation and should have gave a time code of the episode that Chris mispronounced it. So the episode in question for the mispronunciation of Naruto was episode 353 around 1:24:45. Chris said it wrong which Andrew then said it wrong even though earlier in the episode that Andrew was pronouncing correctly. That pronunciation has been said by other people who should know better.

I would like another attempt from you guys at this question since you didn't really answer it based on misinterpretation and didn't answer the part on what Japanese words you get annoyed by people constantly mispronouncing.

Haha, we did fail the actual question miserably. Had too much fun messing with the Naruto word. But I'm still not getting NarNuDo from that. If anything, we are just not emphasizing on the TUH in the T. No biggy.

I'm not sure that I'd be able to give a proper answer anyhow. It would probably just devolve into me talking about how anyone that does CRAP tons of recording every year (roughly 120 hours) is going understand that mistakes happen. Especially when you're talking in English and constantly having to pronounce Japanese words, Japanese names, and Japanese spoken words/names from other languages. So when I listen to other people mispronounce things on a podcast, I give them more slack that most. But hey, I get a chuckle out of some. We may go over that next time.

Mr Tib wrote:Chris. Andrew. Go home guys. Your drunk. I know 2016 was a bad year, but can't just grab the good shows from last year and throw them in this year. Jokes aside, I wanted to make some corrections just incase someone didn't know. Showa genroku rakugo shinju season 1 was in winter 2016. Re:Zero stared in spring 2016 and continued into summer 2016. If you want Chis and Andrews thoughts they are in last years deliberations. And just incase, march comes in like a lion season 1 started fall 2016 and continued into winter 2017 so it did not qualify last year but dose this year along with Made in abyss which was in summer 2017. I know the majority of people who are going to see this already know all this but I used to be (and sometimes still is) the one person who doesn't know, so this is here just incase.

Haha! I plea my same case as stated above. The sad thing is I'm that stupid when sober. At least I was right on Showa. I believe I said the first cour was last winter, and the second cour was this Winter. So Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen will be in this year's running.

BlueSpark wrote:So the Spice and Wolf manga series is finally coming to an end? While others may find this regrettable, it's a good thing for me – I've been holding off on volumes 11 and onwards in order to binge-read the rest once the series is concluded. Looks like I won't have to wait for too much longer (probably sometime around mid-2018 until the English version becomes available) :).

"That movie from the director of A Silent Voice... I can't think of the name... I'm killing myself." Pardon, Andrew, but I thought that was already in A Silent Voice?
Spoiler:
In case the joke didn't hit, I'm talking about the "I'm killing myself" part. Yeeeaaah... Was that too morbid :P?

When Andrew started talking about words, letters, and how these transfer over to Japanese, I felt the compulsive need to interject something. But he eventually got on the right track by mentioning syllables ;).
From what I can tell – mostly conjecture based on personal experience, plus some reading on Wikipedia a while ago – the Japanese language doesn't use letters at all. The basis for their words (in the realm of katakana, at least) are linguistic units which are very close to syllables (called "Moren" in German). More precisely, they're all open syllables (which means they end in a vowel). The only 'odd' exception, from our western perspective on syllables, is the Japanese 'n' which functions as a syllable despite not containing a vowel. That's why, in Romanized transcription, 'n' is the only letter you'll ever see at the end of a Japanese word.
Uh... what do you mean, rambling? Oh, yeah, I guess you're right – I'll shut up now (especially since it's not directly related to the original question, anyway) ;).

I guess I'll have a manga reading partner then. Have you read the S&W LN or just the manga? Curious if it's decently faithful and doesn't skip anything.

Not sure if I said Director, but in case I did, I meant the Mangaka of A Silent Voice. The title I was trying to think of was To Your Eternity. I'm gonna ignore the joke...
::mischief::
That was mostly why I was specifying when their language is translated into English words, not so much that their characters have our letters. But I did get a kick out of it when I first learned that the vowel thing, it's precisely why they have have issues speaking other languages and not putting a "U" at the end.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
Crazy About Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am

Andrew wrote:I guess I'll have a manga reading partner then. Have you read the S&W LN or just the manga? Curious if it's decently faithful and doesn't skip anything.
Sounds good :). I haven't read the light novels, myself (In fact, I've never touched a light novel). To me, the question of a 'faithful' adaptation is a largely irrelevant one, so I'll be fine just consuming the mangas.

Andrew wrote:Not sure if I said Director, but in case I did, I meant the Mangaka of A Silent Voice.
Nah, chances are I goofed up rather than you. I was quoting from memory about three quarters of an hour after listening. And anyone who knows my memory can tell how (un)reliable that process usually is. I'll quickly edit my above post, too.

Andrew wrote:I did get a kick out of it when I first learned that the vowel thing, it's precisely why they have have issues speaking other languages and not putting a "U" at the end.
Yup. Which makes it even weirder to me that they would simply omit the vowel in "Sas(u)ke" or "des(u)"... I'm not going to fruitlessly rack my brains over it, though :P. I'm sure there's logic in there somewhere.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Love Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Man! If re:zero had been a pic for 2017, it would have complicated things a lot for me! Thx god you guys are sometimes wrong!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato