362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4955
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Image
The year of 2017 has come to an end. After consuming well over 100 new series this year, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to weigh in on which ones were the best. From action, to drama, to seasonal, and best girl, tune in to hear their picks!

Please note: Deliberation episodes are intended to be nearly unfiltered and lightly edited. These were recorded over hours of deliberations and, while a bit of dead air was removed, it may have points of silence. This isn’t a reflection of our typical podcast episodes that are heavily edited for better listening experience.

Deliberations covered in this episode: Sci-Fi and Mecha, Horror and Psychological Thriller, Comedy, Harem, and Slice of Life.

The intro for this episode is the OP for KADO The Right Answer called “Tabiji” by Mao Ichimichi. The closing for this episode is the ED for Sakura Quest called “Freesia” by KNoW NAME.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/01/animecas ... ns-part-2/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Mys145 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:41 am

There was a sci-fi anime that you guys missed because of Netflix and that's ID-0. It's definitely better than Clockwork Planet for sure.

User avatar
Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Warsaw,Poland
Contact:

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 am

Mys145 wrote:There was a sci-fi anime that you guys missed because of Netflix and that's ID-0. It's definitely better than Clockwork Planet for sure.

I agree 100% with that.
Image
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2287
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:
Mys145 wrote:There was a sci-fi anime that you guys missed because of Netflix and that's ID-0. It's definitely better than Clockwork Planet for sure.

I agree 100% with that.


I blame netflix

;-p
Image

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4955
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Mys145 wrote:There was a sci-fi anime that you guys missed because of Netflix and that's ID-0. It's definitely better than Clockwork Planet for sure.

Have it downloaded on my tablet, Range Murata's artstyle on designs jumped right out at me, but haven't gotten time to watch it. Only thing that has been bumping it down my priorities is the (so far based on skimming first episode) focus on the suits. Not sure if that changes.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
fragoff
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby fragoff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Dudes! Doesn't the magus' bride register as fantasy?
Also, occultic nine wasn't this season? (Just asking for the horror/psyco section in hope we can kick king's game outta first place ;) )

Also, i think we need a community debate on the definition of fantasy, adventure and slice of life as a bare minimum. Because ot is very sketchy and having clear rules would be better. Arguing about the nature of a harem show would be nice too (to love ru fan talking here!!).
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby Mys145 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 pm

fragoff wrote:Dudes! Doesn't the magus' bride register as fantasy?
Also, occultic nine wasn't this season? (Just asking for the horror/psyco section in hope we can kick king's game outta first place ;) )


Ancient Magus Bride isn't considered this year because it's still ongoing and will be considered for 2018. Occultic Nine was Fall 2016 so it was in the best of 2016.

Andrew wrote:Have it downloaded on my tablet, Range Murata's artstyle on designs jumped right out at me, but haven't gotten time to watch it. Only thing that has been bumping it down my priorities is the (so far based on skimming first episode) focus on the suits. Not sure if that changes.


Calling the robots "suits" isn't right at all. The people actually become the robots themselves not going into the robot and controlling it from within the robot. One of the themes of the show is the question of if you don't have your human body anymore but existed as a robot, are you still human. Give episode 1 an actual watch.

User avatar
fragoff
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby fragoff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Mys145 wrote:
fragoff wrote:Dudes! Doesn't the magus' bride register as fantasy?
Also, occultic nine wasn't this season? (Just asking for the horror/psyco section in hope we can kick king's game outta first place ;) )


Ancient Magus Bride isn't considered this year because it's still ongoing and will be considered for 2018. Occultic Nine was Fall 2016 so it was in the best of 2016.


I thought magus bride would have been considered second season.

Guess king's game stays on top!!! :/
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

User avatar
BlueSpark
Anime Junky
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 362) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 2

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 am

I guess you have to stick with your definition of "harem" for the sake of continuity, but Gamers! really didn't give off harem vibes to me at all (similarly to, say, Toradora!, which would in fact qualify as per your interpretation of the term).

This last year had so many beautiful slice-of-life animes: ReLIFE and Interviews with Monster Girls became instant favorites of mine. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was lovely.

Tsukigakirei is a show I'd classify as a pure romance rather than a slice-of-life, but in either case, it was simply amazing. I even highly enjoyed Fuuka and Masamune-kun's Revenge, too. I don't envy your position of having to rate these ;).
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!