364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Image
The year of 2017 has come to an end. After consuming well over 100 new series this year, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to weigh in on which ones were the best. From action, to drama, to seasonal, and best girl, tune in to hear their picks!

Please note: Deliberation episodes are intended to be nearly unfiltered and lightly edited. These were recorded over hours of deliberations and, while a bit of dead air was removed, it may have points of silence. This isn’t a reflection of our typical podcast episodes that are heavily edited for better listening experience.

Deliberations covered in this episode: Best of Winter, Best of Spring, Best of Summer, Best of Fall, and Best Anime of 2017!

The intro for this episode is the OP for March Comes In Like A Lion 2 called “Flag wo Tatero” by Yuki. The outro for this episode is the ED for Recovery of an MMO Junkie called “Hikari, Hikari” by Yuuka Aisaka.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/01/animecas ... ns-part-4/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:19 pm

RESULTS:
To best find season/genre/etc that you're looking for, hit the spoiler button and use search (CTRL+F, CMD+F) to locate.

Best Seasonal and Best of 2017:
Spoiler:
WINTER:
Andrew:
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
Konosuba 2
Iron-Blooded Orphans 2
Interview With Monster Girls
Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid

Chris:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Onihei
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Scum's Wish
ACCA 13

Combined:
Showa Genroku 2
Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon
Onihei
Konosuba 2
Iron-Blooded Orphans 2

SPRING:
Andrew:
Kado the Right Answer
Eccentric Family 2
Tsukigakirei
Natsume’s Book of Friends 6
Saekano 2

Chris:
Tsuki ga Kirei
The Eccentric Family 2
Grimoire of Zero
Saekano Boring Girlfriend Flat
Anonymous Noise

Combined:
Tsuki ga Kirei
The Eccentric Family
KADO
Saekano
Grimoire of Zero

SUMMER:
Andrew:
Made in Abyss
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Tsuredure Children
Re:Creators
My Hero Academia 2

Chris:
Made in Abyss
Love and Lies
New Game Season 2
Gamers
Tsuredure Children

Combined:
Made in Abyss
Tsuredure Children
Love and Lies
Re:Creators
My Hero Academia 2

FALL:
Andrew:
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 2
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Land of the Lustrous
Konohana Kitan
Blood Blockade Battlefront 2

Chris:
Land of the Lustrous
Welcome to the Ballroom
Kino's Journey
Just Because
Recovery of MMO

Combined:
Land of the Lustrous
Recovery of an MMO Junki
Yuki Yuna is A Hero 2
Welcome to the Ballroom
Magical Circle Guruguru

BEST ANIME OF 2017!:
Andrew:
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
Made in Abyss
KADO The Right Answer
Re:Creators
March Comes In Like A Lion Season 1

Chris:
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
Made in Abyss
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
March Comes In Like A Lion Season 1
Onihei

Combined?
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
Made in Abyss
March Comes In Like A Lion Season 1
KADO The Right Answer
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Genre and Topics:
Spoiler:
Action Andrew:
My Hero Academia 2
MSG Iron-Blooded Orphans 2
Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond
Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul
Attack on Titan Season 2

Action Chris:
My Hero Academia 2
Onihei
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Granblue Fantasy the Animation
Kenka Bancho Otome Girl Beats Boys

Action Combined:
My Hero Academia
MSG Ironblooded orphans 2
Granblue Fantasy the Animation
Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond
Saga of Tanya the Evil

Adventure Andrew:
Made in Abyss
Little Witch Academia
Kemono Friends
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Girls' Last Tour

Adventure Chris:
Made in Abyss
Girls' Last Tour
Grimoire of Zero
Little Witch Academia
Kemono Friends

Adventure Combined:
Made in Abyss
Little Witch Academia TV
Girls' Last Tour
Kemono Friends
Granblue Fantasy The Animation

Fantasy Andrew:
Made In Abyss
Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Re:Creators
Tales of Zestiria the X 2

Fantasy Chris:
Rage of Bahamut Virgin Souls
Tales of Zestiria the X 2
Little Witch Academia
Made In Abyss
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Made

Fantasy Combined:
Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul
Made in Abyss
Tales of Zestiria the X 2
Little Witch Academia TV
Granblue Fantasy The Animation

Drama Andrew:
Showa Genroku 2
March Comes in like a Lion
Onihei
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 2

Drama Chris:
Scum's Wish
Onihei
Showa Regnoku 2
March Comes in Like A Lion 1
Just Because

Drama Combined:
Onihei
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2
March Comes in like a Lion
Scum's Wish
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Sci-Fi/Mecha Andrew:
MSG IBO 2
KADO The Right Answer
Knights and Magic
Re:Creators
Girls' Last Tour

Sci-Fi/Mecha Chris:
MSG IBO 2
KADO The Right Answer
Knights and Magic
Girls' Last Tour
Clockwork Planet

Sci-Fi/Mecha Combined:
MSG IBO 2
KADO The Right Answer
Knights and MAgic
Girls' Last Tour
Re:Creators

Horror/Psychological Andrew:
King's Game
Attack on Titan
18if
Made in Abyss
Yuki Yuna 2

Horror/Psychological Chris:
King's Game
Yuki Yuna 2
Inuyashiki
Juni Taisn
18if

Horror/Psychological Combined:
King's Game
Yuki Yuna 2
18if
Inuyashiki
Attack on Titan

Comedy Andrew:
Tsuredure Children
Konosuba 2
Magical Circle Guruguru
Blend S
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Comedy Chris:
Blend S
Magical Circle Guruguru
Tsuredure Children
Konosuba 2
Aho Girl

Comedy Combined:
Tsuredure Children
Magical Circle Guruguru
Blend S
Konosuba 2
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Harem Andrew:
Saekano flat
Gamers
Konosuba
UQHolder
Tsugumomo

Harem Chris:
Gamers
UQ Holder
Konosuba 2
Eromanga Sensei
Another World With My Smartphone

Harem Combined:
Gamers
Konosuba 2
UQ Holder
Saekano flat
Eromanga Sensei

Ecchi Andrew:
Tsugumomo
A Sister is all you need
Hinako Note
Eromanga Sensei
Armed Girls' Machiavellism

Ecchi Chris:
Tsugumomo
Eromanga Sensei
In Another World with my Smartphone
Armed Girls' Machiavellism
Girlfriend is Shob

Ecchi Combined:
Tsugumomo
Eromanga Sensei
Armed Girls Machiavellism
A Sister is all you Need
In Another World with my Smartphone

Slice of Life Andrew:
Showa Genroku Rakugo 2
March Comes in like a Lion 1
Just Because
Tsuki ga Kirei
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Slice of Life Chris:
Showa Genroku 2
Tsuki ga Kirei
Just Because
March Comes In Like A Lion 1
New Game 2

Slice of Life Combined:
Showa Genroku 2
Tsuki ga Kirei
March Comes in like a Lion 1
Just Because
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Romance Andrew:
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Tsuki ga Kirei
Just Because
Tsuredure children
Saekano flat

Romance Chris:
Tsukigakirei
Just Because
Saekano
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Blend S

Romance Combined:
Tsukigakirei
Just Because
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Saekano flat
Blend S

Sports Andrew:
March Comes In Like A Lion
Welcome to the Ballroom
Long Riders
Minami Kamakura HS Girls Cycling Club
Classroom of the Elite

Sports Chris:
????

Sports Combined:
Welcome to the Ballroom
March Comes in like a Lion 1
Long Riders
Minami Kamakura HS Girls Cycling Club
Food Wars

Military Andrew:
Onihei
Saga of Tanya the Evil
MSG IBO 2
Knights and Magic
WorldEnd

Military Chris:
Onihei
MSG IBO 2
WorldEnd
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Knights and Magic

Military Combined:
???

Mystery/Supernatural Andrew:
KADO The Right Answer
Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond
Land of the Lustrous
Ajin Season 2
Onihei

Mystery/Supernatural Chris:
ACCA 13
Ajin Season 2
Land of the Lustrous
Sagrada Reset
Onihei

Mystery/Supernatural Combined:
Ajin Season 2
Land of the Lustrous
Onihei
KADO
ACCA

Magical Girl/Boy Andrew:
Yuki Yuna 2
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Little Witch Academia
Magical Circle Guruguru
Tsugumomo

Magical Girl/Boy Chris:
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Yuki Yuna is a Hero
Magical Circle Guruguru
Tsugumomo
Alice and Zoroku

Magical Girl/Boy Combined:
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 2
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Magical Circle Guruguru
Tsugumomo
Little Witch Academia

Heal/Relax Andrew:
Girls' Last Tour
Kemono Friends
Urara Meirochou
Konohana Kitan
Hinako Note

Heal/Relax Chris:
Girls' Last Tour
Kemono Friends
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Urara Meirochou
Konohana Kitan

Cute Girls/Things Andrew:
Miss Kobayashi
Konohana Kitan
Kemono Friends
Blend S
Interview With Monster Girls

Cute Girls/Things Chris:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Urara Meirchou
Konohana Kitan
Blend S
Kemono Friends

Cute Girls/Things Combined:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konohana Kitan
Blend S
Kemono Friends
Urara Meirchou

Shorts Andrew:
Tsuredure children
Girl Beats Boys
One Room
Love is like a Cocktail
Aho Girl

Shorts Chris:
Tsuredure Children
Love is a Cocktail
NYanko Days
One Room
Light of the Clione

Shorts Combined:
Tsuredure Children
Love is like a Cocktail
One Room
Nyanko Days
Aho Girl

Animation Andrew:
MSG IBO 2
March Comes In Like A Lion 1
Made in Abyss
My Hero Academia 2
Land of the Lustrous

Animation Chris:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
The Eccentric Family 2
March Comes in Like A Lion
Scum's Wish
Princess Principal

Art Andrew:
18if
Showa
March Comes
Land of Lustrous
Eccentric Family

Art Chris:
Eccentric Family 2
March Comes 1
Land of Lustrous
Juni Taisen *
ACCA 13

Concept Andrew:
KADO
Land of Lustrous
Made in Abyss
Interview with Monster Girls
Love and Lies

Concept Chris:
Land of Lustrous
idol incedents
18if
Love and Lies
kings game

Original Andrew:
Re:creators
KADO
Yuki Yuna 2
Tsukigakirai
Kemono Friends

Original Chris:
Animegataris
Sakura Quest
Kemono Friends
Just BEcause
Tsukigakirei

Worst Andrew:
Wake Up Girls 2
Clockwork Planet
Hand Shaker

Worst Chris:
kings game

Disappointing Andrew:
Wake Up Girls 2
Love and Lies
Fuuka
Love Live Sunshine
Inuyashiki

Disappointing Chris:
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Clockwork Planet
Black Clover
Wake Up Girls 2
Inuyashiki

Biggest Surprise Andrew: (forgot Onihei)
KADO
Kemono Friends
Tsukigakirei
Made in Abyss
Land of the Lustrous

Biggest Surprise Chris: (forgot Onihei)
Kemono Friends
Land of the Lustrous
Made in Abyss
Konohana Kitan
Princess Principal

Best Girl Andrew:
Moriko Morioka MMO Junkie
Meteora ReCreators
Nanachi Made in Abyss
Ouzen Made in Abyss
Eriri Spencer Saekano

Best Girl Chris:
Sakuranomiya, Maika blend s
Asui, Tsuyu hero academia
tanya tanya the evil
Kamui, Kanna dragon maid
Zero grimoir of zero

Best Boy Andrew:
???

Best Boy Chris:
Shouto Todoroki (My Hero Academia 2)
Maruruk Made In Abyss
Rei Kiriyama (March Comes In Like A Lion)
orga (MSG Iron Blooded Orphans 2)
Heizou (Onihei)
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
fragoff
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby fragoff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:49 pm

SHOOOOOO!!!! no wait.....
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

User avatar
Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

I love you guys, but please, PLEASE pronounce Tsuki ga Kirei correctly. It's pronounced "Key-Ray", not "Key-Ree-Ay" or "Key-Rye". Kind of like Ki(riyama) Rei from March Comes in Like a Lion.

Also, Lustrous is 2 syllables. No "ee" sound as a 2nd syllable. Just, "Luhs-Truhs".

You've gotten much better about your pronunciations, but after listening to 6+ hours of deliberations...it started to really annoy me. ::silence::

You can keep calling Saga of Tanya the Evil "Sanya", though. That's fine. ::peace::

Altogether interesting listen. I sometimes forget all that came out in any particular year. ::thumb::
Image
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2247
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Companion Kyuubey wrote:I love you guys, but please, PLEASE pronounce Tsuki ga Kirei correctly. It's pronounced "Key-Ray", not "Key-Ree-Ay" or "Key-Rye". Kind of like Ki(riyama) Rei from March Comes in Like a Lion.

Also, Lustrous is 2 syllables. No "ee" sound as a 2nd syllable. Just, "Luhs-Truhs".

You've gotten much better about your pronunciations, but after listening to 6+ hours of deliberations...it started to really annoy me. ::silence::

You can keep calling Saga of Tanya the Evil "Sanya", though. That's fine. ::peace::

Altogether interesting listen. I sometimes forget all that came out in any particular year. ::thumb::


Not sure if your being serious or not. It looks like I’m reading you corrections backword. I assume again I may be the issue so I’ll try to explain it the best I can.

Kiriyama. =. Ki-ri-ya-ma
The pronunciation is easy mostly because the kana works out well. Most Japanese words use this rule of thumb as the katakana and hiragana are mostly translated to our language based on that rule. They are a simple two letter one consonant one vowel.the main exception to the rule are the vowels themselves in which two or more vowels can be next to each other I.e.

Kirei = ki-re-i
It’s easy to go back to old habits so it’s not uncommon for us to accidentally mispronounce a Japanese word incorrectly. Likely we said kiriae or something to that effect where what I said above is closer. Or basically what you mentioned was the incorrect pronunciation,

Little crazy Japanese trivia this is the main reason Japanese keep adding vowels to the end of our words. They literally have only a couple letter that can be ends and still be considered consonants in our language “n” being one of them. Not even “s” can escape. When you hear des. Your actually hearing desu ( de-su ) but the u is hardly ever pronounced

Hope that made sense

;-)
Image

User avatar
BlueSpark
Anime Junky
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 am

Companion Kyuubey wrote:I love you guys, but please, PLEASE pronounce Tsuki ga Kirei correctly. It's pronounced "Key-Ray", not "Key-Ree-Ay" or "Key-Rye".
I noticed this, too, and got a little peeved by it. I'm not going to be too harsh on you guys about it, though; wrapping your head around the pronunciation of foreign words can be hard to do, and some people have more of a knack for it than others. Also, like Chris mentioned, once a pronunciation variant is stuck in your head, it can be extremely difficult to shake it.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am

Chris wrote:Not sure if your being serious or not. It looks like I’m reading you corrections backword. I assume again I may be the issue so I’ll try to explain it the best I can.

Kiriyama. =. Ki-ri-ya-ma
The pronunciation is easy mostly because the kana works out well. Most Japanese words use this rule of thumb as the katakana and hiragana are mostly translated to our language based on that rule. They are a simple two letter one consonant one vowel.the main exception to the rule are the vowels themselves in which two or more vowels can be next to each other I.e.

Kirei = ki-re-i
It’s easy to go back to old habits so it’s not uncommon for us to accidentally mispronounce a Japanese word incorrectly. Likely we said kiriae or something to that effect where what I said above is closer. Or basically what you mentioned was the incorrect pronunciation,

Little crazy Japanese trivia this is the main reason Japanese keep adding vowels to the end of our words. They literally have only a couple letter that can be ends and still be considered consonants in our language “n” being one of them. Not even “s” can escape. When you hear des. Your actually hearing desu ( de-su ) but the u is hardly ever pronounced

Hope that made sense

;-)


My "Ki(riyama) Rei" example was trying to point out how to pronounce the "rei" part. It's pretty easy to pronounce Japanese because the same combination of letters are always pronounced the same way. There are no stupid situational rules like in English.

As I was thinking about how to get across the pronunciation, I realized that one of my favorite characters from this past year has a name that contains "Kirei" in it (hence the parentheses).

I'm not sure I totally understand your response if we're on the same page or not. Umm, maybe some of our confusion is the way to pronounce the "re" part of the word? It's a short vowel sound instead of a long one, so it's like "restaurant" instead of "restraint".
Image
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2247
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Companion Kyuubey wrote:
Chris wrote:Not sure if your being serious or not. It looks like I’m reading you corrections backword. I assume again I may be the issue so I’ll try to explain it the best I can.

Kiriyama. =. Ki-ri-ya-ma
The pronunciation is easy mostly because the kana works out well. Most Japanese words use this rule of thumb as the katakana and hiragana are mostly translated to our language based on that rule. They are a simple two letter one consonant one vowel.the main exception to the rule are the vowels themselves in which two or more vowels can be next to each other I.e.

Kirei = ki-re-i
It’s easy to go back to old habits so it’s not uncommon for us to accidentally mispronounce a Japanese word incorrectly. Likely we said kiriae or something to that effect where what I said above is closer. Or basically what you mentioned was the incorrect pronunciation,

Little crazy Japanese trivia this is the main reason Japanese keep adding vowels to the end of our words. They literally have only a couple letter that can be ends and still be considered consonants in our language “n” being one of them. Not even “s” can escape. When you hear des. Your actually hearing desu ( de-su ) but the u is hardly ever pronounced

Hope that made sense

;-)


My "Ki(riyama) Rei" example was trying to point out how to pronounce the "rei" part. It's pretty easy to pronounce Japanese because the same combination of letters are always pronounced the same way. There are no stupid situational rules like in English.

As I was thinking about how to get across the pronunciation, I realized that one of my favorite characters from this past year has a name that contains "Kirei" in it (hence the parentheses).

I'm not sure I totally understand your response if we're on the same page or not. Umm, maybe some of our confusion is the way to pronounce the "re" part of the word? It's a short vowel sound instead of a long one, so it's like "restaurant" instead of "restraint".


Nope I agree with you there I thought you were bothered by the empsis on the extra vowel. But it seems it’s the same as I was trying to point out in my last point that the vowels themselves I openly acknowledge as being hard to try and pronounce as habits tend to kick in.

Just remember while we do try to be more true to the language we are flawed individuals our language of the heart is English. Until we win the lottery we will likely at best maybe get lucky enough to visit Japan otherwise we are stuck here never actually perfecting the language we so hope to learn.

TLDR thanks for listening and putting up with our horrible butchery of a Forine language
Image

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Once again I welcome people to record hundreds of hours of themselves jumping languages in speech and let me pick apart pronunciations.

::peace::

It’s harder than it seems, trust me, but appreciate people being patient despite. We will never be perfect and continue to screw up until the day we finish, apologies beforehand.

Edited for clarification and to sound less blunt.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
fragoff
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby fragoff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm

This discution is very funny and i understand why english people have sometime trouble with japanese.
In my tongue, it is much easier has the vowel are pronouced exactly the same.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato