365) Fall 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

365) Fall 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:31 am

The Fall 2017 Anime Season Reviews continue from the Otaku Spirit Animecast hosts. Join them as they cover some post-apocolyptic sightseeing, some young romance, sister love, fighting gems, and much more!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond, Just Because, Girls’ Last Tour, Himouto Umaru-chan R, A Sister’s All You Need, Land of Lustrous, Konohana Kitan, and Food Wars The Third Plate.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond called “fake town baby” by UNISON SQUARE GARDEN. The closing for this episode is the ED for A Sister Is All You Need called “Donna Hoshizora yori mo, Donna Omoide yori mo” by Aira Yuuki.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/01/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 365) Fall 2017 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am

Just Because

Spoiler:
I thought Andrew was going to give the show "Best Romance Ever" since they actually have the childhood friend hook up with the main character.

I just need clarification on why Andrew thought the game segments of A Sister's All You Need was a negative for him. To me, it seems natural that they would play games time to time. They always say that not everyone has played the game so they have to explain the rules of it.

It's weird that you guys still don't care about why Erina's dad's plan for the school is really an awful thing not for the school but future of cooking in Japan. I'm curious if Andrew really doesn't care about food is made in general.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Mys145 wrote:Just Because

Spoiler:
I thought Andrew was going to give the show "Best Romance Ever" since they actually have the childhood friend hook up with the main character.

I just need clarification on why Andrew thought the game segments of A Sister's All You Need was a negative for him. To me, it seems natural that they would play games time to time. They always say that not everyone has played the game so they have to explain the rules of it.

It's weird that you guys still don't care about why Erina's dad's plan for the school is really an awful thing not for the school but future of cooking in Japan. I'm curious if Andrew really doesn't care about food is made in general.

Just Because
Spoiler:
Dont get me wrong, I love the concept of childhood friends and romance in anime, however, it’s all in how a romance is portrayed that bugs me. Similar to my issues with Sakurasou, the show spends a majority of the time advancing a relationship with one couple, while never explaining the other couple, only to twist it back and say “well, this is the choice!”

I never felt a connection happening with Mio. Their whole back story was him catching her staring at Haruto.

A Sister is all you Need: Not sure what else I can say. My point was that it was out of place and felt jarring. I guess hate is a strong word. I did agree with Chris that it helped in that it explained some nature of their feelings for the industry, while others were just fanservice and just playing into Itsumi’s worst side.

Food Wars: If actually taken serious, which is exactly why I can’t take it serious, you would have to consider the larger picture. An industry leader in food can easily fall with a mentality that he has. Enforcing a strict style and removing variety would easily see backlash and a fall of the school entirely. So no, I don’t really see it as a threat, if only for the school. But hey, that’s probably me overthinking it.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Andrew wrote:Just Because
Spoiler:
Dont get me wrong, I love the concept of childhood friends and romance in anime, however, it’s all in how a romance is portrayed that bugs me. Similar to my issues with Sakurasou, the show spends a majority of the time advancing a relationship with one couple, while never explaining the other couple, only to twist it back and say “well, this is the choice!”

I never felt a connection happening with Mio. Their whole back story was him catching her staring at Haruto.

A Sister is all you Need: Not sure what else I can say. My point was that it was out of place and felt jarring. I guess hate is a strong word. I did agree with Chris that it helped in that it explained some nature of their feelings for the industry, while others were just fanservice and just playing into Itsumi’s worst side.

Food Wars: If actually taken serious, which is exactly why I can’t take it serious, you would have to consider the larger picture. An industry leader in food can easily fall with a mentality that he has. Enforcing a strict style and removing variety would easily see backlash and a fall of the school entirely. So no, I don’t really see it as a threat, if only for the school. But hey, that’s probably me overthinking it.

Just Because

Spoiler:
Sometimes there isn't this magical reason why a person loves another. I always going to say this but love is very irrational. Not everyone has a great story about how they fall with love with someone. It just happens sometimes and that's the answer you got to accept.

It's still odd to me that you think that playing a game with a group of friends is jarring to you. Maybe you are thinking that they are mostly light novel authors that they shouldn't be playing games when they should be writing novels but still even them should have fun once in a while as friends. Friends do play games with each other not just mingle when they get together. Also playing DnD for years, there will be fanservice into the game so it's not odd either that they did it in the show as well.

I think you maybe right about Food Wars but only if it's normal and not in Japan. The school was already prestigious and have the backing of many rich and powerful people that Erina's dad could easily influenced them to make laws that it would be nearly impossible for regular people to operate a restaurant. Also even if people create non-elite restaurants, they could use the police to shut down those places. I think this plan is something that will take a couple years to carry out but with how Japan works, it's a scary possibility that it could happen.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Mys145 wrote:Just Because

Spoiler:
Sometimes there isn't this magical reason why a person loves another. I always going to say this but love is very irrational. Not everyone has a great story about how they fall with love with someone. It just happens sometimes and that's the answer you got to accept.

Just Because:
Spoiler:
Correct, and we already discussed this as a possibility for anything. However, the problem with using that as a way of telling a story is not very compelling. Just saying "well, love is irrational so this story is about someone who looks at someone and falls in love; the end" is not much of a story. When you tell a love story you have to tell a story.

Again, I'm perfectly fine with the concept of love being unexplainable, and I even said on this cast that it could have just be a crush realized (or something like that), but if you want me to connect to the story and the love that was expressed, you have to show or tell me something. I can't just gather it from "well, he caught her staring at another boy LOVE!!!!".

Mys145 wrote:It's still odd to me that you think that playing a game with a group of friends is jarring to you. Maybe you are thinking that they are mostly light novel authors that they shouldn't be playing games when they should be writing novels but still even them should have fun once in a while as friends. Friends do play games with each other not just mingle when they get together. Also playing DnD for years, there will be fanservice into the game so it's not odd either that they did it in the show as well.

Not why it's jarring, but that's fine.