369) Winter 2018 Anime First Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

369) Winter 2018 Anime First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am

As the shows of the Winter 2018 Anime Season reaches their 4 episode point, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to give their listeners a full breakdown on what is shaping up to be worth a watch. Listen in to find out!

Anime Featured in this Episode: Overlord 2, Darling in the Franxx, citrus, Death March To The Parallel World Rhapsody, Kokkoku, After the Rain, Pop Team Epic, Beatless, Skilled Teaser Takagi-san, Record of Grancrest War, Laid-Back Camp, A Place Further than the Universe, Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card, Today’s Menu for the Emiya Family, Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, Junji Ito Collection, Mitsuboshi Colors, Killing Bites, The Ryuo’s Work Is Never Done, Katana Maidens, Hakumei and Mikochi, School Babysitters, Ms Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, Maerchen Madchen, Slow Start, How To Keep A Mummy, Dagashi Kashi 2, Takunomi, and Kaiju Girls 2.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Darling in the Franxx called “KISS OF DEATH” by Mika Nakashima x Hyde. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Overlord 2 called “HYDRA” by Myth and Roid.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/02/animecas ... pressions/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: 369) Winter 2018 Anime First Impressions

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 am

So far, i personaly think it is one of the most boring season from the last couple years. Beside 3-4 titles that i find interesting, the rest is average at best.

Too bad you guys can't legaly watch violet evergarden. I would have like to hear your take on it.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Mr Tib
I Like Anime

Postby Mr Tib » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 pm

fragoff wrote:So far, i personaly think it is one of the most boring season from the last couple years. Beside 3-4 titles that i find interesting, the rest is average at best.

I feel the same way, and next season being my most look forward to season in 5 years probably doesn't help.

So is there anyone here going to stop me if food/stay night if my first fate? I know, I know, I need to watch fate/zero and UBW and I will, eventually. Now I know Andrew doesn't want to spoil what class is who but I've played alot of fate GO so I know all that already.

BTAG
Crazy About Anime

Postby BTAG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 am

For me personally, this is one of the best seasons of anime in years. It's certainly right up there with Summer 2017 in terms of the sheer amount of shows that I'm finding enjoyment in. I disagree wholeheartedly in regards to Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. It is fantastic. I'm also very much enjoying the second cour of Garo: Vanishing Line, A Place Further Than The Universe, Darli-Fra (as it is stupidly abbreviated on their website and official twitter), Yuru Camp Equilateral Triangle, Karakai Jouzu no Best Girl of Season-san, Kokkoku (Without a shadow of a doubt the best OP of the season), Citrus, Killing Bites (Which is maybe the thing that I enjoy watching the most. That narrator is hilarious), and Grancrest Senki (though it is unbelievably bad at points). I've yet to start After the Rain, which I want to at some point. If you add the insanely good (early AOTY contender) Devilman Crybaby to the list, you have one hell of a good season in my book.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 am

It's surprising that people think this season isn't that good. Unlike last season where I was trying to figure out what shows to showcase for my friends for future watching, I had trouble with filling out what seven to show for this season.

Overlord 2

Spoiler:
Ains doesn't know how Shaletear was turned but there's a plan to prevent it in the future with Victim.
I don't know exactly how Victim dying will prevent future turnings but they are taking steps to prevent it anyway.

I wasn't bothered by the UI in Death March To The Parallel World Rhapsody. I am enjoying it a lot more than the only episode I watched of In Another World with My Smartphone.

I feel like there's enough stuff in Beatless to keep me watching. I feel like episode 2 was meant for expanding the world before going back into the action. The term you guys were looking for was "analogue hacking".

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is definitely a cool show for sure. I'm not sure where the show is going after episode 4 but I will stick with it to the end.

Killing Bites is definitely the love child of Terraformars and Ikkitousen. The main guy character is the audience viewpoint character. That's why he's there.

Katana Maidens

Spoiler:
Probably the reason why Hiyori can't tell people that Yukari has an Aradama possessing her is that no one would believe her. If you're going to say it without proof, people are going to side with the great hero than a mere high school girl. Then you also have people like Yukina who are so enthralled with Yukari that she would immediately go hostile on Hiyori for suggesting such a thing.

I doubt Andrew will get anything out of School Babysitters. It is a show that Andrew thinks it is and I'm five episodes in.

Maybe Andrew should just not watch anymore shows that primary deals with food and just have Chris watch them. It's perfectly fine if you don't like particular genres. I don't think it's worth it to keep watching food shows to find the one food show you would like out of twenty.

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Are you’ll gonna do reviews for compulsive gambler and fate apocrypha since both are on or about fully drop on netflixy

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 am

michelous wrote:Are you’ll gonna do reviews for compulsive gambler and fate apocrypha since both are on or about fully drop on netflixy

Andy is watching fate and I plan on catching up at some point. I’m sure we will but it’s not lined up at the moment.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

fragoff wrote:So far, i personaly think it is one of the most boring season from the last couple years. Beside 3-4 titles that i find interesting, the rest is average at best.

Too bad you guys can't legaly watch violet evergarden. I would have like to hear your take on it.

That's kind of what I was trying to get across, even with the bit of negative leaning. It's not as if any of the shows are bad, just average.

I am happy to say that a few shows, like Junji Ito, have gotten a lot better since First Impressions. Hopefully reviews will shed a different light for folks.

Mr Tib wrote:I feel the same way, and next season being my most look forward to season in 5 years probably doesn't help.

So is there anyone here going to stop me if food/stay night if my first fate? I know, I know, I need to watch fate/zero and UBW and I will, eventually. Now I know Andrew doesn't want to spoil what class is who but I've played alot of fate GO so I know all that already.

Next season is truly going to be nuts. I'm hearing more talk about Spring than Winter, and it's not yet started (haha).

No worries at all. I doubt it'll spoil anything, but I'd say avoid making Prisma Illya second. That show will spoil the hell out of every Fate series.

BTAG wrote:For me personally, this is one of the best seasons of anime in years. It's certainly right up there with Summer 2017 in terms of the sheer amount of shows that I'm finding enjoyment in. I disagree wholeheartedly in regards to Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. It is fantastic. I'm also very much enjoying the second cour of Garo: Vanishing Line, A Place Further Than The Universe, Darli-Fra (as it is stupidly abbreviated on their website and official twitter), Yuru Camp Equilateral Triangle, Karakai Jouzu no Best Girl of Season-san, Kokkoku (Without a shadow of a doubt the best OP of the season), Citrus, Killing Bites (Which is maybe the thing that I enjoy watching the most. That narrator is hilarious), and Grancrest Senki (though it is unbelievably bad at points). I've yet to start After the Rain, which I want to at some point. If you add the insanely good (early AOTY contender) Devilman Crybaby to the list, you have one hell of a good season in my book.

Glad to hear it's turning out to be a great season for you. I definitely can't disagree that the shows you've listed are fun watches. About the only one that hasn't shaped up for me is Tonkotsu and Citrus, but that's fine.

Also agree, GARO is a fun ride. Mad Max battle was great.

Hoping to get to Devilman Crybaby before end of the season.

Mys145 wrote:I feel like there's enough stuff in Beatless to keep me watching. I feel like episode 2 was meant for expanding the world before going back into the action. The term you guys were looking for was "analogue hacking".

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is definitely a cool show for sure. I'm not sure where the show is going after episode 4 but I will stick with it to the end.

Killing Bites is definitely the love child of Terraformars and Ikkitousen. The main guy character is the audience viewpoint character. That's why he's there.

Maybe Andrew should just not watch anymore shows that primary deals with food and just have Chris watch them. It's perfectly fine if you don't like particular genres. I don't think it's worth it to keep watching food shows to find the one food show you would like out of twenty.

I'll be giving Beatless a couple more episodes. I definitely love a lot of aspects of it, like the world setting.

Killing Bites: I wouldn't call him audience viewpoint, but more the "Straight Main" character. There to react to everything that is normal to others, but not really normal. Which ends up being more "Confirmation" to the viewer than anything. "Oh yeah, this is really heartless killing, thanks for confirming MC-kun". Which is unnecessary IMO. But I ignore him anymore.

I'll keep giving food shows a shot. I don't see any reason not to. Just like people believe we hate all sports shows, yet have loved shows like Big Wind Up, Stride, Ippo, etc. I can love a food show (Emiya family seems to be doing just fine for me).

michelous wrote:Are you’ll gonna do reviews for compulsive gambler and fate apocrypha since both are on or about fully drop on netflixy

I don't have any plans to watch Kakegurui (if that's what you mean by Compulsive Gambler), but I'm pretty far into Apocrypha already. Realy enjoying it.

Will probably have to wait until we've watched a few side projects before we get around to reviewing it.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694