376) Spring 2018 Anime Season Preview

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

376) Spring 2018 Anime Season Preview

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 am

With the Spring 2018 Anime Season just a mere few weeks away, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to break down the shows you can expect to see. Not only highlighting the big name returns, but also the unexpected new titles that may surprise you.

Anime Discussed In This Preview: Persona 5, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Wotakoi Love Is Hard For Otaku, Dancing With The Dragons, Devil’s Line, Golden Kamuy, Caligula, Magical Girl Site, Tada Doesn’t Fall In Love, Hinamatsuri, Piano no Mori TV, 3D Kanojo Real Girl, Shiyan Pin Jiating, Juushinki Pandora, Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi, Uma Musume Pretty Derby, Nil Admirari no Tenbin, Comic Girls, Megalo Box, Butlers Chitose Momotose Monogatari, Magical Girl Ore, Dorei-ku The Animation, Captain Tsubasa 2018, Alice or Alice, Isekai Izakaya, Layton Mystery Tanteisha, Hisone to Maso-tan, Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, Cutie Honey Universe, Fist of the Blue Sky REGENESIS, Last Period, Gurazeni, Inazuma Eleven, Ladyspo, Steins Gate 0, My Hero Academia 3, Tokyo Ghoul re, Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online, Food Wars Third Plate 2, High School DxD HERO, Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory, Amanchu Advance, Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS, Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2, Gegege no Kitarou 2018, Lupin III: Part V, Major 2nd, Gundam Build Divers, Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu HAPPY KISS, Aikatsu Friends, Kiratto PriChan, Beyblade Burst Chouzetsu, Akkun to Kanojo, Fumikiri Jikan, Koneko no Chii 2, Kuroneko Monroe, Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3, Omae wa Mada Gunma, Tachibanakan to Lie Angle, Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu, Wakaokami wa Shougakusei, Continuing Series, and some random ONA/Movie/OVAs!

The intro for this episode is from the PV for Shiyan Pin Jiating. The outro for this episode is from the PV for Persona 5 The Animation.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/03/animecas ... n-preview/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: 376) Spring 2018 Anime Season Preview

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 am

As usual, I'm not really the target audience for season preview podcasts. However, hearing about continuations to existing franchises always has a chance to excite me.

For instance, it's cool to know there's more Sword Art Online coming. Gun Gale was my overall favorite arc, so this should be fun. Given SAO's popularity, I reckon a dub is sure to emerge.

However, a new Full Metal Panic! season? Now we're talking! I've watched the other 3 (if we're counting Fumoffu) twice and consistently enjoyed myself. This should be a treat. I hope it'll get an English localization.

A new WIXOSS season would be awesome, as well - were it not for the fact that Loststorage Incited hasn't been dubbed yet. I'm not holding my breath on this one; instead, I'm just glad that I got a great and conclusive story in the first 2 seasons. If I eventually get the chance to watch Loststorage in English, it'll be a nice cherry on top (unless it totally bombs :P).

Lastly, though, the biggest one on the list for me is Steins;Gate 0. A side story (of sorts) to one of my all-time favorites - if we don't get a dub here, I'll be a sad panda :(.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20 am

When I went through the spring season lineup a couple months ago, I didn't see very much that appealed to me then. But now I think I'm going to have my hands full of so many new series to watch. This winter season, I've been able to balance 5 shows that are airing as well as a couple old shows I binge watch that I never got to or put off in the past. That's usually how my seasonal viewing goes, a bit of new and old...but spring is going to be a handful if all the shows I plan to watch turn out worthwhile. I got 9 series I want to watch for sure, and 3-4 maybes depending on early reviews and previous seasons I need to catch up on (or will just binge in the future like Boku No Hero and Hoozuki No Reitetsu)
Dat deer, it calls to me....

In fire is iron born; by fire it is tamed.

Mr Tib
I Like Anime

Postby Mr Tib » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 am

I can't believe I'm starting my fifth year of seasonal anime watching. Who know that in spring 2014 watching the good, the bad, and the ugly (Selector infected Wixoss, mekakucity actors, and Soul eater NOT) would turn into wanting to watch 41 shows in one season, but here I am 16 seasons, 4 top 5 favorites, 5 top 5 hated, 60+ OPs and EDs bought on iTunes, and 4 streaming subscriptions later waiting for my most anticipated season so far and a very large part of the thanks go to Andrew, Chris, and everyone here at Otaku spirit for helping me leave my Dub elitist and pirating self behind.

Regarding spring 2018, I'm getting more of 3 out of my top 5 favorite shows in 1 season and the only way it would've be better is if I got Re:zero season 2 and/or a brotherhood version of akame ga kill, but I'm a little worried that I'm hyping myself up to much and setting myself up for disappointment.

Steins;Gate 0 - I'm supper excited to see the members of the future gadget laboratory again and too see the story of Okabe #1 and how he set things up for Okabe #2 in the original, but the story was done and this could just be a cash grab that they don't try as hard on.

Lostorage conflated Wixoss - I'm so happy I got it right that they would bring back the selector characters and that there could be a tie up all loose ends and complete the story, but it is lostorage and its first part was as great and the same people are doing this part and there going to touch mari okada story without her.

Persona 5 - could be a perfect adaptation of my favorite video game or it could be a horrible adaptation.

SAO alternative - I've always thought sword art was a great idea with bad writing so adding a good writer to a good premise might work or it could be more sword art.

Lady Layton - could be a amazing mystery story or a dumb kids show.

So while this is my most anticipated season ever this could also be my most disappointing season ever. I put all the show I'm going to try and watch at least the first episode of in order of most excited for in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
1. Wixoss
2. Steins;gate
3. Persona 5
4. My hero
5. Lady layton
6. Sword art
7. Caligula
8. Tada-kun
9. Hisone to maso-tan
10. Tokyo ghoul
11. Golden kamui
12. Megalo box
13. Wotaku
14. Magical girl boy
15. Hinamatsuri
16. Akkun
17. Chinese
18. Isekai izakaya
19. Magical girl site
20. Log hero's
21. Captain Tsubasa
22. Fumikri jikan
23. Butler
24. Piano
25. Gurazeni
26. Dance with dragons
27. Last period
28. Horse girls
29. Devils line
30. Pandora
31. Comic-girls
32. Nil admiria
33. 3-d girls
34. Ladyspo
35. Rokuhoudou
36. Fist of the north star
37. Cutie honey
38. Wolf god boys
39. Alice or Alice
40. Dorie-ku
41. Inazuma eleven

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 am

Mr Tib wrote:Lady Layton - could be a amazing mystery story or a dumb kids show.
Forgot to mention: When Chris talked about this, I believe he used "girl" and "Sherlock Holmes" in the same sentence. My mind immediately jumped to forming the appelation "Girlock Holmes" :D. I propose changing the official title of the series right now.

MrUchiha1
I Like Anime

Postby MrUchiha1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Hey what’s up, this is my first post on the forum. Just wanted to say that I enjoy listening to your podcast Chris and Andrew and I’m really looking forward to the spring anime season!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 am

MrUchiha1 wrote:Hey what’s up, this is my first post on the forum. Just wanted to say that I enjoy listening to your podcast Chris and Andrew and I’m really looking forward to the spring anime season!

Welcome. Thank you for listening. I hope you find a home and lots of friends here. If you get a chance introduce yourself in the introduction forum so everyone can get a chance to get to know you.

;-)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:28 pm

BlueSpark wrote: ::peace::

Well, at least it gives you hopes as to possibilities for the future! Either way, I hope it all gets dubbed for you! I think SAO and SteinsGate are easy givens.

Chihirolee3 wrote: ::peace::

Mission, Accomplished! We're good at adding to people's watch list ::peace::

We ended up doing some catchup for this season as well. Seems like every other season has a case where we want to get refreshers or caught up for returning series. Cardcaptor last season, Full Metal Panic this season.

Hang in there.. and if all else fails, there's always our First Impressions Podcast Episodes!

Mr Tib wrote:I can't believe I'm starting my fifth year of seasonal anime watching. Who know that in spring 2014 watching the good, the bad, and the ugly (Selector infected Wixoss, mekakucity actors, and Soul eater NOT) would turn into wanting to watch 41 shows in one season, but here I am 16 seasons, 4 top 5 favorites, 5 top 5 hated, 60+ OPs and EDs bought on iTunes, and 4 streaming subscriptions later waiting for my most anticipated season so far and a very large part of the thanks go to Andrew, Chris, and everyone here at Otaku spirit for helping me leave my Dub elitist and pirating self behind.

Haha, Nice! We're glad to have you with us and enjoying it along side us. Here's to 16 more? ::yess::

Well, Re:Zero is coming back.. just later this year as the OVA. It's not my Rem side story, so I just want them to bring us season 2 already.

For sure, this season is one of those ones that we get really hyped up about, but should remember that anything can really bomb in the end. Just hope otherwise!

BlueSpark wrote:
Mr Tib wrote:Lady Layton - could be a amazing mystery story or a dumb kids show.
Forgot to mention: When Chris talked about this, I believe he used "girl" and "Sherlock Holmes" in the same sentence. My mind immediately jumped to forming the appelation "Girlock Holmes" :D. I propose changing the official title of the series right now.

There has been worst changes to titles in translation :P

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:47 am

Andrew wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:Forgot to mention: When Chris talked about this, I believe he used "girl" and "Sherlock Holmes" in the same sentence. My mind immediately jumped to forming the appelation "Girlock Holmes" :D. I propose changing the official title of the series right now.

There has been worst changes to titles in translation :P
At least it'd sound cooler (and more creative) than Case Closed, right ;)?

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 am

BlueSpark wrote:At least it'd sound cooler (and more creative) than Case Closed, right ;)?

Or Ninja Girl and Samurai Master! They literally replaced Nobunaga's name with "Samurai Master"