381) Drama in the Franxx

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

381) Drama in the Franxx

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 am

The hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to cover the news of April, minus the April Fools Jokes. Sadly, they also take note of the loss we all have experienced in Isao Takahata and the wonderful stories he told us.

Topics this episode: Isao Takahata Passes Away, Mitsuboshi Colors Creator’s New Anime, Fairy Tale Girls Conclusion, Aniplex and Live2D, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Limited Edition, Overlord Season 3, Violet Evergarden Continuation, Kazuki Akane and Studio 8bit Original, Good Smile company and Good Smile Arts Shanghai, Welcome To The Ballroom Manga, High School Fleet Film, Eleven Arts and Maquia Film, Keiko Kubota leaves Kalafina, Devilman Crybaby new announcement, Gundam 00 project, Gundam NT revealed, Hathaway Flash, Kenichi Sonoda’s new anime, Japan fight against piracy, PA Works and PA Books label, Bubblegum Crisis standard release, game news, licenses, Streaming Update, Anime watching on Apple TV, Darling in the Franxx Episode 14 drama, and much more!

Thanks to BlueSpark and Companion Kyuubey for the great questions featured on this episode.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Listen To Me Girls I Am Your Father called “Happy Girl” by Eri Kitamura. The outro for this episode is the ED for Darling in the Franxx called “KISS OF DEATH” by Mika Nakashima x Hyde.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/04/animecas ... he-franxx/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 381) Drama in the Franxx

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:06 am

So the Made in Abyss dub is coming - excellent 8-). I shall be looking forward to it.

Regarding Kyuubey's question, I guess I'm much less tolerant than you guys are. Well, you've made it your task to inform your listeners on all kinds of shows, so good on you. I know myself well enough to skip most battle-heavy stuff without looking back. Unless someone makes a really compelling argument as to why it'd be worth my time.
A different case would be shoujo romance shows. I've made many mediocre experiences with these, but stumbling upon that rare gem (For me, it was Wolf Girl & Black Prince) makes it all worth it :).

It's too kind of you to consider the needs of poor Inumata, Andrew ;). After all, computer nerds need some love, too!

Gamagori and Sumomo sounds hilarious - the height difference is real :D.

I was confounded to see Andrew convert to the sweet side - lolishipping has an irresistible draw, it seems ;>.

On the other hand, your hate for Little Busters! Refrain obviously knows no bounds. Please try to be more positive - it's better for your health. Here, let Ilya and Miyu cheer you up:Image

Lastly, I was quite impressed by your idea of yuri-flagshipping the entire female casts of 2 shows. A bit of a cheap solution, but I'll certainly give you points for creativity :P.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 pm

There's three shows this season that doesn't have an official pickup as well which one of them I'm surprised by since there's a huge fanbase for it everywhere else except America. Those are the Lady Layton anime, Shiyan Pin Jiating, and the new Captain Tsubasa (that one is the shocker for me).

Darling in the Franxx Episode 14

Spoiler:
I don't agree with sending death threats to the writers and creators of the show but I can understand why people are angry at Ichigo. I get why she did it but you can't say to me that it wasn't a selfish action on her part. I haven't really like Ichigo for the most part. I think she tends to do selfish things under the pretext of helping Hiro and doesn't admit it at all. I was surprised that there are people out there who like Ichigo and saying she is sweet which she doesn't pull off at all.

Midnight Crooh
I Like Anime

Postby Midnight Crooh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:30 am

FranXX talk below:
Spoiler:
I agree with Mys here. While Ichigo's behaviour is totally understandable and in-character that doesn't make it any less motivated by her own self-interest. Yes, Zero Two is volatile and emotionally unstable to the point of harming Hiro, but Ichigo seemed to take advantage of both this and her authority as team leader to further her own goals, which is what pissed people off. She completely ignored Hiro's wishes and desires in favour of her own, even going so far as to station a guard to make sure he doesn't try anything. Then she tops it all off by forcing herself on him in his moment of weakness.

That said I enjoy watching the drama unfold and while it made me dislike Ichigo for her selfishness it did not in any way make me hate the show. Hell, I congratulate the show for evoking such feelings in me. Definitely one of my favourites of the spring and summer season combined.

-Crooh

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 am

With all the controversy surrounding Darling, I have half a mind to watch it myself. I tend to enjoy 'daring' material that challenges moral boundaries. Haven't run into any spoilers yet, so it should be interesting.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Midnight Crooh
I Like Anime

Postby Midnight Crooh » Sat May 12, 2018 4:34 am

Wonder how they'll handle his abscense it in production. They'll either have to cut all of his lines completely, which is probably tough to do since he's one of the main kids of the group or they'll find a temporary replacement. More importantly though I hope the guy recovers. Autoimmune diseases can be quite nasty...

-Crooh

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat May 12, 2018 10:56 am

BlueSpark wrote:It's too kind of you to consider the needs of poor Inumata, Andrew ;). After all, computer nerds need some love, too!

I was confounded to see Andrew convert to the sweet side - lolishipping has an irresistible draw, it seems ;>.

On the other hand, your hate for Little Busters! Refrain obviously knows no bounds. Please try to be more positive - it's better for your health. Here, let Ilya and Miyu cheer you up:

Lastly, I was quite impressed by your idea of yuri-flagshipping the entire female casts of 2 shows. A bit of a cheap solution, but I'll certainly give you points for creativity :P.

Inumata: I can't always take low hanging fruit, but I'm sure he'll be happy.

In the spirit of Little Busters, replace that Illya with a Kud!

Lolishipping, Yuri-flagshipping, and Punishipping. All that's left is for us to officially establish a base for the future Yaoishipping and we're good. We're the new standard.

We're already set to discuss this today on the recording.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 am

BlueSpark wrote:It's too kind of you to consider the needs of poor Inumata, Andrew ;). After all, computer nerds need some love, too!

On the other hand, your hate for Little Busters! Refrain obviously knows no bounds. Please try to be more positive - it's better for your health. Here, let Ilya and Miyu cheer you up:

Inumata: I can't always take low hanging fruit, but I'm sure he'll be happy.

In the spirit of Little Busters, replace that Illya with a Kud!

Lolishipping, Yuri-flagshipping, and Punishipping. All that's left is for us to officially establish a base for the future Yaoishipping and we're good. We're the new standard.

We're already set to discuss this today on the recording.

Mys145 wrote:Darling in the Franxx Episode 14

Spoiler:
I don't agree with sending death threats to the writers and creators of the show but I can understand why people are angry at Ichigo. I get why she did it but you can't say to me that it wasn't a selfish action on her part. I haven't really like Ichigo for the most part. I think she tends to do selfish things under the pretext of helping Hiro and doesn't admit it at all. I was surprised that there are people out there who like Ichigo and saying she is sweet which she doesn't pull off at all.

Midnight Crooh wrote:FranXX talk below:
Spoiler:
I agree with Mys here. While Ichigo's behaviour is totally understandable and in-character that doesn't make it any less motivated by her own self-interest. Yes, Zero Two is volatile and emotionally unstable to the point of harming Hiro, but Ichigo seemed to take advantage of both this and her authority as team leader to further her own goals, which is what pissed people off. She completely ignored Hiro's wishes and desires in favour of her own, even going so far as to station a guard to make sure he doesn't try anything. Then she tops it all off by forcing herself on him in his moment of weakness.

That said I enjoy watching the drama unfold and while it made me dislike Ichigo for her selfishness it did not in any way make me hate the show. Hell, I congratulate the show for evoking such feelings in me. Definitely one of my favourites of the spring and summer season combined.

-Crooh

Episode 14 Darling in the Franxx:
Spoiler:
It's not so much that I'm ignoring her selfish desires, I just don't understand why people ignore the protective element of love interest and completely focus on the selfishness aspect. She can have ALL of the self interest possible but it doesn't change the fact that her decisions were all (except for the kiss) life saving and logical. We can't forget that Zero Two was literally killing him. That was her end goal. Why that's not more terrifying to viewers than "selfish girl" is what makes me intrigued.

It's also interesting to note that they don't specifically state what fuels each and every decision she makes. In the end she is still a captain and even if she wasn't in love with Hiro, I believe she would have made the same exact decisions (again, minus the kiss) to protect her comrade.

While I don't follow their end point, I did get a laugh out of ANNCast stating that people wouldn't be bothered at all if gender roles were swapped. Ichigo would be painted as a chivalrous man saving Hiro from an abusive man.

Midnight Crooh
I Like Anime

Postby Midnight Crooh » Mon May 14, 2018 3:27 am

Andrew wrote:
Spoiler:
While I don't follow their end point, I did get a laugh out of ANNCast stating that people wouldn't be bothered at all if gender roles were swapped. Ichigo would be painted as a chivalrous man saving Hiro from an abusive man.

More Franxx:
Spoiler:
I'm absolutely sure some people would argue for exactly that. Though I do think few would be able to pass off the act of essentially making Hiro/fem-Hiro a prisoner in his own hospital room as anything but overly controlling behaviour regardless of the gender dynamic. Trying to keep someone safe by detaining them teeters very close to some really messed up yandere-level stuff. After all, Ichigo did know at the time that both Hiro and 02 just wanted to talk. I can see Ichigo being against them piloting again, but refusing to outright let them see each other and limiting Hiro's own personal freedoms is a step too far in my opinion.
You know, I never expected a show with doggy-style powered mechas to generate a deep discussion about the nuances of empathy, but here we are. Good on you FranXX!

-Crooh