Animecast: E3 2018 Discussion

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

Animecast: E3 2018 Discussion

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:34 am

Following the exciting 2018 E3 Conferences, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are eager to dive into each and give their take on them. From the cringe, to the pure epic, listen in and enjoy!

Topics this episode: EA, Microsoft, Bethesda, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Sony, and Nintendo conferences.

The intro for this episode is from The Last of Us soundtrack. The outro for this episode is from Tales of Vesperia.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/06/animecas ... iscussion/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: Animecast: E3 2018 Discussion

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:57 pm

I didn't mind Smash Bros taking up most of the Nintendo Direct since I'm interested in it and also given its December release date, they needed to give a bunch of information on it to generate buzz around it. I can understand why some people would be annoyed by the Smash coverage taking 25 minutes out of 40 minutes but it hasn't been talked about at all by Nintendo and coming out in 6 months compared to everything else being 2019 or ports of other released games.

Those Let's Go Pokemon games are based around Pokemon Go and Pokemon Yellow and luckily enough that it isn't the new core Pokemon game on the Switch.

Dragon Quest 10 was never released in the US since it was an online only game on the Wii. Dragon Quest 9 was on the DS while 7 and 8 was rereleased on the 3DS from the PS1 and PS2.

Andrew, why you hate on the indie games? It seems odd to say that while making fun of FPS games at the same time. Is it because you hate the people who overly love indie games or something else? Also you remind me of my one friend when you were talking about checking bulbs on TVs because I imagine my friend would do the same thing also.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am

I live and die by the indie games on steam. A lot of tham are far better and original than A games!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 am

The extended version of Tales of Vesperia is coming to the west. Finally! Don't worry, Andrew, you're not alone - I also bought a used XBox 360 for the sole purpose of being able to play Vesperia ;). Now I'll probably buy the new release on Steam, unless I can get my hands on a really cheap used PS4 before release. By the way, kudos for closing out the podcast with "Ring a Bell" :). Although I still prefer the English/Engrish version of the song. One of the few Tales opening themes I don't always skip after booting up the game.

Did I get that right - they want to make the next Fallout game significantly longer than 4? That actually sounds like a detriment to me if I'm being honest. I've already invested 250 hours (plus all the time lost after having to load a prior savegame) in my Fallout 4 playthrough with all DLC, and I'm still not quite finished. It's really hard to invest that amount of time into a single game in one go (Because picking up a playthrough in a game like this after taking a longer break always sucks).

The World Ends with You is a game I've always been curious about, but I haven't used my DS in ages. Your talk served as a welcome reminder. Maybe I'll get to it sometime in the near future :). The remixed version for the Switch is obviously a no-go, though, since I don't own the console and have no plans to acquire one.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:01 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Did I get that right - they want to make the next Fallout game significantly longer than 4? That actually sounds like a detriment to me if I'm being honest.

This is the pitfall of most modern games. They want to give us content to the point where they just 'elongate' the game to no ends.
That is the difference betwen mass and substance. Mass is just more but of the same. Wile substance gives you interesting new things to do.
There is also the 'tireing' effect. Skyrim is a kickass game. But after 100 hours of play, do you really want to do more, even if there is plenty left?!
I guess the age factor is something too. I do not dedicate as mush time as i used to do on games, and i get bored faster(hence my love for indies). I guess our priority changes when getting older. Because if we want to be honest, young people can probably spend 300 hours on a game they like without flinching!

In the end, i believe that games like skyrin and fallout are bloated with more content, we just need to realise it is not 'new content'. And at that point, i believe only the story can help you go trought the length of the game.
I never finished skyrim even if i played a lot of it. I never finished fallout 4 because it felt to me like fallout 3 2.0, a game i play a ton of. Couldn't finish the witcher 3, sidetracked as i was by secondary stuff. But i completed everything in the mass effect trilogy because the story was there and side quests did not diverge often from it or were addons to it.
Maybe this is the real weakness of those games: too much sidequests that take you out of the story?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Your cat sound hangry

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 am

fragoff wrote: This is the pitfall of most modern games. They want to give us content to the point where they just 'elongate' the game to no ends.
That is the difference betwen mass and substance. Mass is just more but of the same. Wile substance gives you interesting new things to do.
There is also the 'tireing' effect. Skyrim is a kickass game. But after 100 hours of play, do you really want to do more, even if there is plenty left?!
I think you're definitely onto something. I don't see the Fallout games in the "mass over substance" category - in all of the ~300 hours I've played Fallout 4, I never felt like I was encountering "more of the same." Pretty much every new area I explored felt unique and fresh. That's the magic of Bethesda games - they craft expansive worlds which are never boring per se.

However, I agree that no matter how varied the content gets, I do lose motivation to keep going after so many hours sunk into the game. Not necessarily because I'm tired of Fallout 4, but because I have a craving to play some other game. So yeah, I'd much prefer a more concise game as opposed to one that'll eat up even more of my time. If Bethesda do plan to make the new game even longer than 4, I hope they'll at least keep their stride and make all the locations on the map feel distinct.

Note to self: If I ever replay Fallout 4 down the line, remember to deactivate all the DLC.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

Here is more info about upcoming PSVR exclusive FromSoftware title Déraciné.
phpBB [video]

And yes FromSoftware sold me another piece of Sony hardware...gao you Miyazaki!
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"