391) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

391) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:42 am

With the upcoming Summer season, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast tackle the wrapping up shows of the Spring Season. Laughs, tears, and nostalgia glasses are all on the plate!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Hinamatsuri, Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS, Comic Girls, Umamusume: Pretty Derby, Real Girl, Magical Girl Site, Record of Grancrest War, and Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Hinamatsuri called “Distance” by Rie Murakawa. The closing song for this episode is the ED for Uma Musume called “Glow Up Shine!” by the cast.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/06/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 391) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:44 am

Correction in here. Chris was right that WIXOSS was 4 cours, Selector Infected, Selector Spread, Lostorage Incited, and Lostorage Conflated. So technically it's 4 seasons by different names. First season just seems to flow into itself so it confuses the mind. Also to confirm, we will be doing Summer Preview next weekend.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm kinda surprised that Chris didn't watch Comic Girls. I do agree that Kaos makes or breaks Comic Girls since she is really self-loathing on herself on an extreme degree and got annoyed by it throughout the show.

It's not matches but races in Umamusume. There's no one who is a bit knowledgeable in sports who would say "It's going to be a great match." when referring to a horse race. Matches are fine for describing boxing or other fighting sports but not for races.

I think Hikari's doubt about Iroha's liking of him is a real thing. If you were constantly being told that you were gross and suddenly this beautiful girl says that she likes you, you would think something is up. Also Iroha initially tried to be understanding about Hikari's inability to get context clues but everyone has different points to get angry about it and have an outburst over it. It's not fair to judge that based on how you would deal with it.

Magical Girl Site has more of a payoff than CCS Clear Card has at the moment. I think the panty stick is just a symbol of control towards men. I don't mind the darkness and melodrama of the show.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 am

Your description of Hinamatsuri intrigues me even more. Hilarious comedy switching places with gripping drama in the blink of an eye? That formula worked wonders for me in Penguindrum. I'm highly looking forward to this series once the dubbed broadcast finishes.

I haven't watched any of Loststorage, but in the first installment (first 2 seasons) of WIXOSS, the anime really wasn't about the card game (as in the proper rules and strategies) as far as I'm concerned. It really was just a necessary plot device for the juicy drama to unfold. But if you're saying that too much is riding on the card battles in the newer seasons (and they still don't explain the ruleset), I can see that being a detriment to the show.

Real Girl sounds like a good bit of fun. Here's hoping Sentai will release a dubbed version sooner rather than later :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:53 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Real Girl sounds like a good bit of fun. Here's hoping Sentai will release a dubbed version sooner rather than later :).

Not really, trust me. And you even get eyeburns at the end for your trouble. Altough the first 4-5 episodes are nice, i'll give it that.

edit: clarification. Andrew sounds a lot better talking about 3D real girl than the show itself.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 am

Small thing to add: They actually localized the "feed the wolf" song in Hinamatsuri's dub. It was still annoying and grating on my ears, but not quite as much as in the Japanese audio. Despite that, I thought it was decently funny - and surprisingly moving given the context of the scene (and the character of Anzu, who was simply amazing).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!