409) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

409) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 am

As the summer season takes its leave, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here with the first batch of shows to give their final opinions on. What shows made the cut, and what shows fell flat? Listen in and find out!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Chio’s School Road, Music Girls, Dropkick on my Devil, Harukana Receive, How Not To Summon A Demon Lord, Island, and My Sweet Tyrant.

Following the spoiler free reviews of each of the shows and the outro music, we enjoy a spoiler filled discussion of Island. If you have not watched Island, avoid listening beyond the 1:28:33 mark.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Harukana Receive called “FLY two BLUE” by Kana Yuuki and Saki Miyashita. The closing song for this episode is the ED for How Not To Summon A Demon Lord called “Saiaku na hi demo Anata ga Suki” by Yuu Serizawa. The song following the spoiler discussion is the OP for Island called “Eternal One” by Yukari Tamura.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/09/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: 409) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:00 pm

You know what,l I acuallyu like the very first Fatre Stay/Night Afdaption from Deen. Yes, its not so great by today's standards, for for it's time it was pretty amazing and is what started my love for the Fate Series so it does rk me when you guys bash Deen for its Fate adaption. Just because uFotable knowcked it out of the water 5 years later with a much bigger budget and far better technology at its disposal, does not mean the the Deen version is completely without any merit at all. After all, the deen version was done 5 years earlier, with a much smaller budget,with far less CGI, in a time when the series itself wasn't as popular as it was back in 2011 when Fate/Zero came out.

I find it funny when Andrew was explaining what Jashin-chan was, both Chris and I said Lamia at the same time. Come one, Andrew. We've had like 3 different takes on lamis in anime, six if you count hentai. When are you going to remember what a lamia is?

Island
Spoiler:
Now see, I really struggle with Island because I actually went back and checked everything to make sure I got everything right. Because of my anal retentive nature, I took about an hour of research to come up with my arguments so please bear with me.

To begin, let me separate the show into arc an sagas. I separate the show into three different sagas, the first "present" saga with all the character arcs, the "future" saga with the cult thing, and the second "present" saga with Setsuna coming back into the "present". There is a very good reason why I put everything in quotes, and I will explain everything soon.

I love the first saga. It explored most of the characters and their stories and found them quite endearing. I even liked Karen's arc, even though it was the weakest, her interactions with Setsuna were the strongest and it helped in covering for the weakness in the story. What I didn't like towards the end was the timeline. Unlike most shows that has a time element to it, this one made no sense at all.

The first saga begins with Setsuna meeting and interacting with all the characters, fixing Sara and Karen's issues, and ending it with Rinne dying and him being put in the pod to supposedly go into the future to find a way to travel into the past and saving Rinne. The second arc begins with what we believe to be the same Setsuna in the "future" and meeting what we believe to be the descendants of the characters of the "past", ultimately finding a machine to send him back in time and saving Rinne, and the "future". The third saga is where things get stupid for me. According to the dialogue from Momoka in the last episode, and yes I did go back to check to make sure I knew what I was talking about, Setsuna did not come from the future, but from the past. According to her, the items that they found around the world, as well as the machine that Setsuna used to get there, all point to the past, which really throws the whole timeline into a stupid frenzy.

This is the problem with the whole Visual Novel adaptation thing. People complain about Light Novel Adaptations, but its the Visual Novels where the real dilemmas are at. Essentially, the show pretty much has 3 different Setsuna's, not just 2. There is the first Setsuna who is Rinne's "brother" that died back in the other island. There is the second Setsuna we see in the first Saga that tries to fix everyone's issues, and the third and Final Setsuna that comes from the past, into the present time, fixes everyone's issues ones more, and gets together with Kanon that turns out to be the Rinne (who is called Linne in the VN) from the past. The whole tale we are told about in the first saga, is actually about the third Setsuna and Kanon. This whole thing is even more messed up when you realized that not only does the Second Setsuna end without ever actually achieving anything, it also makes no sense of the memory he has in the very first episode. Disregarding the whole issue with the timeline, why does he believe he has to kill Rinne? That makes so very little sense. The best way I can possibly make sense of everything is that the second Setsuna went into the future, found a way to travel into the past, but gets send back into the timeframe of the second saga, keeping just the most important of memories, and the show does what it does after that. The problem is that the show makes attempt at either confirming that, or even finding another reason why it makes sense of it all.

The problem with Visual Novel adaptations is that because they tend to have different routes, the director is charged with how he will handle those routes. Will he choose just one, make a clear an easily made defined story and alienate fans of the other heroines, does he basically do an Amagami and do all the routes and just do a reset from each one, or do they pull a Kanon and choose one route, but mix in all the other routes? The director of this show tried to do the third kind, but failed in making sense of it.

The way the Visual Novel worked was that the "future" timeline was only unlocked when you do the Rinne route and continue to the "future" arc, and you redo the entire game with the option of Setsuna remembering everything from the "future" route. Basically, th VN was confusing as hell as well. The problem with the anime was that they had a shot at making the story more streamlined, make sense of it, and still keep the good ending. Unfortunately, what we got was a more true to the visual novel ending than was needed with Momoka's final bit of dialogue,basically making the third saga a new playthrough, and screwing up the timeline. I loved the anime, don't get me wrong, but how the show tells its story is way too sloppy in the its final reveal and misses an opportunity for the director to create a story that makes sense.

Sorry for making the Island discussion so long, but there are a lot of facts in there that I had to let people know about when thinking of the show overall.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:58 am

Putting Chio's School Road on my to-watch list has pretty much been a given for a while now, considering all the lavish praise it's been receiving.

Harukana Receive is a title I'm sort of interested in since I love volleyball. However, it's going to be a show I'll keep on my backlog for a while - I'll definitely want to watch the more established Haikyu! first.

And now, congratulations are in order - you've convinced me to watch both How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord and Island. The former because shows like High School DxD have taught me that I can appreciate some more daring ecchi elements, and the latter because the prospect of a visual novel created by Frontwing has me intrigued. And also because after the nigh-perfect hits that were Tsukigakirei and Hinamatsuri, I'm excited to see if studio feel can keep amazing me.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 am

SethAmaha wrote:Island
Spoiler:
Now see, I really struggle with Island because I actually went back and checked everything to make sure I got everything right. Because of my anal retentive nature, I took about an hour of research to come up with my arguments so please bear with me.

To begin, let me separate the show into arc an sagas. I separate the show into three different sagas, the first "present" saga with all the character arcs, the "future" saga with the cult thing, and the second "present" saga with Setsuna coming back into the "present". There is a very good reason why I put everything in quotes, and I will explain everything soon.

I love the first saga. It explored most of the characters and their stories and found them quite endearing. I even liked Karen's arc, even though it was the weakest, her interactions with Setsuna were the strongest and it helped in covering for the weakness in the story. What I didn't like towards the end was the timeline. Unlike most shows that has a time element to it, this one made no sense at all.

The first saga begins with Setsuna meeting and interacting with all the characters, fixing Sara and Karen's issues, and ending it with Rinne dying and him being put in the pod to supposedly go into the future to find a way to travel into the past and saving Rinne. The second arc begins with what we believe to be the same Setsuna in the "future" and meeting what we believe to be the descendants of the characters of the "past", ultimately finding a machine to send him back in time and saving Rinne, and the "future". The third saga is where things get stupid for me. According to the dialogue from Momoka in the last episode, and yes I did go back to check to make sure I knew what I was talking about, Setsuna did not come from the future, but from the past. According to her, the items that they found around the world, as well as the machine that Setsuna used to get there, all point to the past, which really throws the whole timeline into a stupid frenzy.

This is the problem with the whole Visual Novel adaptation thing. People complain about Light Novel Adaptations, but its the Visual Novels where the real dilemmas are at. Essentially, the show pretty much has 3 different Setsuna's, not just 2. There is the first Setsuna who is Rinne's "brother" that died back in the other island. There is the second Setsuna we see in the first Saga that tries to fix everyone's issues, and the third and Final Setsuna that comes from the past, into the present time, fixes everyone's issues ones more, and gets together with Kanon that turns out to be the Rinne (who is called Linne in the VN) from the past. The whole tale we are told about in the first saga, is actually about the third Setsuna and Kanon. This whole thing is even more messed up when you realized that not only does the Second Setsuna end without ever actually achieving anything, it also makes no sense of the memory he has in the very first episode. Disregarding the whole issue with the timeline, why does he believe he has to kill Rinne? That makes so very little sense. The best way I can possibly make sense of everything is that the second Setsuna went into the future, found a way to travel into the past, but gets send back into the timeframe of the second saga, keeping just the most important of memories, and the show does what it does after that. The problem is that the show makes attempt at either confirming that, or even finding another reason why it makes sense of it all.

The problem with Visual Novel adaptations is that because they tend to have different routes, the director is charged with how he will handle those routes. Will he choose just one, make a clear an easily made defined story and alienate fans of the other heroines, does he basically do an Amagami and do all the routes and just do a reset from each one, or do they pull a Kanon and choose one route, but mix in all the other routes? The director of this show tried to do the third kind, but failed in making sense of it.

The way the Visual Novel worked was that the "future" timeline was only unlocked when you do the Rinne route and continue to the "future" arc, and you redo the entire game with the option of Setsuna remembering everything from the "future" route. Basically, th VN was confusing as hell as well. The problem with the anime was that they had a shot at making the story more streamlined, make sense of it, and still keep the good ending. Unfortunately, what we got was a more true to the visual novel ending than was needed with Momoka's final bit of dialogue,basically making the third saga a new playthrough, and screwing up the timeline. I loved the anime, don't get me wrong, but how the show tells its story is way too sloppy in the its final reveal and misses an opportunity for the director to create a story that makes sense.

Sorry for making the Island discussion so long, but there are a lot of facts in there that I had to let people know about when thinking of the show overall.

Spoiler:
As I previously said in the Island thread, there isn't actual time travel at all. There's no travelling to the past but you go so far ahead that you reach a point that it's similar to the past but not the original past. The best way I can describe this is that you have the original timeline as an actual piece of string. Now you take that string, copy it, attached the original string to the copy, and repeat with the original timeline being copied each time and attached to the previous copy.

I think there should have been a part where the original timeline is explained and shows where Setsuna came from in the first place. For all know, Setsuna has been repeating the same events many times over and slowly fixed his memory problems.

Chris, I absolutely refused to believe your crackpot theory that Karen and Sara are also Setsuna's daughters. I don't really see it at all. I highly doubt a VN would have a game that you ended up being the father of the heroines. You definitely got Rinne but no way they would extend to Karen and Sara also.

Harukana Receive

Spoiler:
Haruka doesn't have Narumi's phone number. It's her partner that Haruka has her phone number. You noticed sometimes that Narumi takes her partner's phone to talk to them. I think only Emily and maybe Kana have Narumi's number.

It's believable to me that Hakura and Kana beat Emily and Claire in the end. Hakura was already athletically gifted and with Kana's experience along with some extreme coaching by the Thomas family for nearly an entire year and just facing them everyday, their victory was certainly possible. Maybe you forgot there was some amount of time between the Junior tournament and the qualifiers for Nationals but it was significant.

I swear what's everyone trying to make sports shows not sport shows. The match length was fine. I don't have the hyper sensitivity to bad animation techniques like some people do but maybe it's a good thing for me.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 am

So apparently amazon pulled one on all of us and had a 12th episode of Dropkick my devil that wasn't even aired on TV. My review still stands