411) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

411) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:26 am

The Summer hits continue as the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast dive into 7 more titles from the Summer 2018 anime season. How was the Steins Gate sequel? Was Seven Senses still a Anohana clone? Listen and get their take!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Seven Senses of the ReUnion, Happy Sugar Life, Angolmois Record of Mongol Invasion, Planet With, Cells at Work, One Room 2nd Season, and Steins Gate 0.

Following the spoiler free reviews of each of the shows and the outro music, we enjoy a spoiler filled discussion of Happy Sugar Life and Planet With. If you have not watched Happy Sugar Life, avoid listening between 1:39:15 and 1:53:24. If you have not watched Planet With, avoid listening between 1:53:24 and 2:07:46.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Angolmois Record of Mongol Invasion called “Braver” by Straightener. The closing song for this episode is the ED for Cells At Work called “CheerS” by ClariS. The song following the spoiler discussion is the OP for Happy Sugar Life called “One Room Sugar Life” by Akari Nanawo.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/10/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: 411) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:12 am

Seven Senses of the ReUnion
Spoiler:
Andrew (on Seven Senses of the ReUnion) :"It wasn't a terrible show"
-It was a terrible show. It felt like it tried to pull in concepts from other shows and build something original, but it failed at each and every single part of it. The art was very lazy, I felt absolutely no connection to any of the characters, the rules of their world was never fully explained, and worst of all it ended in a Light Novel bait.

Happy Sugar Life
Spoiler:
I loved Happy Sugar Life. It was a great example of what a good dark show should be. It should feel uncomfortable, make you wonder what the characters will do, what is around the next corner, and end it in one big explosion and this anime did that. It is definitely not a show for those that prefer to see more cutesy things like Chris, but as someone that generally likes these types of things it worked well for me. I think your enjoyment of it was brought down by believing that this was going to be episodic in nature because I always saw this as purposely getting other characters involved into what would later become this big end and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Angolmois Record of Mongol Invasion
Did you just call him JENzaburo? Why did you mix an E for an I?
I loved this show. It is by far, the best war anime I have seen since Kingdom. It does everything that I enjoyed about that show. It gave me a commander that understands the battle field, is completely badass, and cares for his soldiers. It gave me a fairly good representation of how technology is applied in war and how different strategies affect the outcomes of battle. I like that no character was ever safe. Not even Jinzaburo and Hime felt at all safe in this show and I like that because it means that the battles have weight to them and that nothing is taken for granted and no lives are used up for no good reason.

Speaking of, Kingdom is my Onihei. If there is one show I would love for people to check out, it is that one. It may be rough to start it what with being one of the first full CG shows and rocky start, but once it gets going it does amazing and is definitely my favorite war anime of all time.

Planet With
Spoiler:
I really liked Planet With, but there is only one caveat I have with it and I really don;t want to even sound negative about it, which is why I didn't even say anything in the show thread itself. Despite the fact that aliens and space are involved in this and we do explore those things, the show felt very small to me. Mainly due to the fact that most of the action took in one single place, it felt like they were stuck in a tank and never really explored any part of it's world. That's just my own personal opinion and is one I'm not all that fond of mentioning because like I said,I did enjoy and don't want to sound so negative about it.

One thing I do have to disagree with however is in calling this a HIDDEN gem only because I did hear quite a bit of talk about this show while it was airing. I can;t call a show that had that level of talk "hidden". It was a gem, just not as unpopular as you made it out to be.

Cells at Work
Loved it episode of it and can;t wait for neither a second season, nor for an adaptation for its much darker siblin, Cells at Work Black.

When it comes to doctor receivers, currently my favorite guy right now is from a Youtube channel called Dr Hope's Sick Notes. He is currently doing each episode one by one and going into the medical science about it. He even explained the Platelets!! He explained how it made sense that not only are they about a third the size of red blood cell, thus accounting for their cute loliness, but also explained how they closely related they are and why it made sense that the platelets called Red Blood Cell Onee-chan. I also love the fact that he is very new to anime and watching him be so fascinated by the show is like watching the birth of a new otaku, how cute.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

I'dd like to point out that stein gate was doomed from the start to give us more of the same.
But i totaly agree that 10 episodes in the middle could have been cut so we could keep the good start and the amazing ending.
As for complaining they didn't go into okari's despair, they couldn't because it was done in the original show. We would not have seen anything new either even if they had done it.

The biggest ray of hope is the very last 5 mins of the show. It opens up tons of possibilities and i hope they tap into it.

Edit: one thing they really overlooked and could have been realy interesting, imo, is the part where okari has to time travel several thousand times back to where he was. I think they went throught this concept and its psychological effects way to fast.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Happy Sugar Life

Spoiler:
Chris, your take about Happy Sugar Life being an episodic show at first seem to me you're trying to make the show less dark in your mind than it was. The beginning scene of the show was Satou and Shio on the roof on the burning apartment complex. You already knew the story was going to end in a bad way for them at the beginning.

I don't see how Andrew view the beginning portion of the show as comical. Besides Mitsuboshi's way to cope with his rape was to be a pedo, it wasn't very comical.

I really didn't expect that Satou's aunt was alive all that time. I thought Satou killed her at one point but she ended up using another person's apartment instead of her aunt's apartment.

Planet With

Spoiler:
If you looked at how Yosuke seem too attached to Benika at first, you think it's just random love at first sight but it's not. I like how the show showed that Yosuke liked Benika when she was partnered with Yosuke's brother and the death of him made Yosuke to get closer to Benika.

I guess Nozumi's immunity to Shiraishi's memory manipulation was a foreshadowing to her strong telepathic abilities in the time-skip and her connection with Soya to those abilities.

I have to wonder if all the people who watched various medical professionals watching Cells at Work if they bring up that Cells at Work do the time scale wrong. My one friend (who is not a medical professional but just a science nerd in general) would bring up that the body functions in Cells at Work would take mere seconds not minutes. I'm curious if they bring that up or not.

At this moment, I haven't watched the last two episodes of Steins;Gate Zero but I don't feel like it was a waste of my time. I settled for more of the same with Steins;Gate Zero because the original was so good.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:51 am

Too bad Planet With hasn't received a simuldub. I hope it'll get localized eventually; going by your praise for it, I'm curious to check it out.

Same for Happy Sugar Life. I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of a dub, but not devastated. I'll keep an eye out for a future release.

As a die-hard fan of Steins;Gate, I will watch this new season no matter what anyone says about it :P. Although I'm kind of afraid - I prefer to rate anime franchises as a whole instead of individual seasons, so 0 might well drag down my overall rating/impression of the series. Still doesn't change the fact that I love the first season and will probably rewatch it again and again over the coming years.

To end my post on a dramatic note: Andrew, you've enlightened me to the wonders of biology!
*holding a knife in a trembling hand while sweating profusely*
Must... extract... waifu... from... wrist!
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 am

Mys145 wrote:Happy Sugar Life

Spoiler:
Chris, your take about Happy Sugar Life being an episodic show at first seem to me you're trying to make the show less dark in your mind than it was. The beginning scene of the show was Satou and Shio on the roof on the burning apartment complex. You already knew the story was going to end in a bad way for them at the beginning.

I don't see how Andrew view the beginning portion of the show as comical. Besides Mitsuboshi's way to cope with his rape was to be a pedo, it wasn't very comical.

I really didn't expect that Satou's aunt was alive all that time. I thought Satou killed her at one point but she ended up using another person's apartment instead of her aunt's apartment.

I have to wonder if all the people who watched various medical professionals watching Cells at Work if they bring up that Cells at Work do the time scale wrong. My one friend (who is not a medical professional but just a science nerd in general) would bring up that the body functions in Cells at Work would take mere seconds not minutes. I'm curious if they bring that up or not.

Yeah, I have no idea where they get their thoughts on shows like Happy Sugar Life. I've noticed after going through all the episodes that when things get heavy, they tend to lose track altogether and make a show something it is not.

As for Cells at Work, no I have not seen any doctor reviewers mention it. I'm guessing they ignore it as Dramatic licensing and focus more on what it does and how it portrays it and pick more into things that go against real world biology. One good example is like Dr. Hope, whom I mentioned above, pointed out that the web like structure, the capsule, that that the bacteria threw at White Blood Cell in episode 1 doesn't actually work in the manner it is portrayed; rather than being a projectile net, the capsule, as it's name would suggest, is like an armor the bacteria uses to keep the White Blood Cell from actually eating and killing it, which was later better portrayed in the same episode when the same bacteria stopped White Blood Cell's knife with the same capsule.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am

BlueSpark wrote:. Although I'm kind of afraid - I prefer to rate anime franchises as a whole instead of individual seasons, so 0 might well drag down my overall rating/impression of the series.

No it won't.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 am

fragoff wrote:No it won't.
Fingers crossed ;). I'll go into it with an open mind, at any rate.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!